Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Getting out "shadow" stains? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128731)

Leiiki 12-23-2010 01:16 PM

Getting out "shadow" stains?

I keep getting these weird shadow stains on my, DD's, and DH's clothes. They aren't any color, they're just like a slightly darker area of the fabric color. I happens more on stretchy clothes, like my cotton/rayon/spandex blend shirts and DH's nicer undershirts. They're not "dirty," but it looks terrible and I really don't want to buy new clothes just because I can't get these to go away!

Anyone know what I'm talking about and how to get rid of them?

briggsy13 12-23-2010 01:29 PM

Re: Getting out "shadow" stains?

Bump cause I get the same thing sometimes! It doesn't come out with anything i've tried.

lakemom 12-23-2010 01:33 PM

Do you use dryer sheets? These can leave an "oily" looking stain on your clothes. Rub with a little stain remover and rewash and it will often come out.

ittybittycoconuts 12-23-2010 01:55 PM

if its dye off another piece of clothing it may not come out. If you dont swish your detergent around into the water it can cause that also even if its clear.

NebraskaGirl82 12-23-2010 02:03 PM

Are you BF? When DD3 spits I get those type, and use a Spray N Wash stick. Usually comes out!

slimy72 12-23-2010 02:07 PM

Make a good soak of hot water and oxyclean and then add clothes. Swish around, add a good cup or two vinegar. Then soak overnight. Wash as normal in the morning.

thirdtimemomma 12-23-2010 02:22 PM

Ha Ha hows that for 10 different responses!! Try adding a drop of dawn to your wash load

Leiiki 12-23-2010 03:29 PM

wow, no kidding - i'll try to address these all:
no dryer sheets here
happens on all colors, including white, so doesn't seem like dye
we have a FL that supposedly mixes the detergent automatically
I am BF, but it happens on clothes without spitup and happened before DD was born
I'll try the oxyclean/vinegar and the dawn if that doesn't work.

chameleon607 12-23-2010 04:11 PM

I've been having the same problem!!! I have 2 TLers and it's doing it in both machines! I tried the tide washing machine soap stuff- it helped, but didn't solve the problem. I tried hot washes with bleach (empty loads), again, it helped some more, but didn't solve the problem. I also tried hot washes with lots of vinegar (empty loads again)- and since then, I've had a few spots, but nothing like before.
I'm going to keep doing the hot washes with vinegar in between every few loads for awhile in case whatever substance comes off clothes that still have spots until we've been through most of our clothes again.

rawheid 12-23-2010 04:43 PM

I'm getting them too, I'm wondering if I'm over loading my top loader. It's like little spots of oil has got all over our clothes.