Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   DS has has diarrhea for >1 month...doc wants him on soy formula? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130924)

pkaskaggs 12-29-2010 07:15 PM

DS has has diarrhea for >1 month...doc wants him on soy formula?

i've never heard of a kid having diarrhea for this long but my 10 month old has had anywhere from 1-6 runny poops since thanksgiving day. some days it's not so bad and we think he's finally getting over it and then there are days like yesterday where he had 4 dirty diapers before noon! he is EBF and does eat solids but we have no history of food allergies in our family. he is totally himself and perfectly fine except for the explosive diapers...no fever or vomiting.

the pedi ran tests on his stool and everything came back negative so her advice was to put him on soy formula and B.R.A.T. foods for about 3 days and she thinks that will clear it up.

it is tempting to follow her advice and be done with this mess but i have never given my babies one drop of formula...it seems to go against my intuition KWIM?

i'm hoping someone here has been through this and can offer some advice :)

thanks!!!!!!

NCFlanagan 12-29-2010 07:30 PM

Re: DS has has diarrhea for >1 month...doc wants him on soy formula?

been there, done that!

if your doc thinks that it is a dairy issue, then cut ALL dairy out of YOUR diet as well as his and go with the BRAT foods for a few days. It may take a week or so for your diet to affect his bowel movements, so if it's not bothering him (e.g., he's gaining weight, getting taller, etc.) then don't rush into anything!

take it from me - i was told to quit nursing cold-turkey at 6 months old and it still breaks my heart that there wasn't anyone around to tell me that i could just alter my own diet and keep breastfeeding. (this was with my first, who is now 15!)

also, does he still nurse from both breasts at each nursing? you could try to keep it to one side at each time, it may only be a milk sugar issue, not food!

cupcakewright 12-29-2010 07:33 PM

even if the milk is causing the problem it is also healing his gut every time he eats too.

I would not give formula, I would try cutting milk out of yoru diet for 3 weeks and see how it goes.

luvsviola 12-29-2010 07:55 PM

This is going to sound counter-intuitive.

Is it possible your child is constipated, and it has caused diarrhea? I only ask because DFS has a blockage right now at the top of his colon (so glycerin suppositories do nothing). He is on laxative to help it release. But he has wicked diarrhea! Its been that way for about 2 weeks. We diagnosed it by an x-ray when he was in the ER. He is on Elecare, and no table food.

alaskamum 12-29-2010 08:10 PM

We had trouble with peaches and pears at that age...which took me WAY too long to figure out b/c DS just loved them...and I gave them to him every day...:blush:

VeganCupcake 12-29-2010 09:07 PM

What about giving him probiotics? That can really help. We had some kind of tummy trouble around here a couple of months ago and DD had diarrhea for a long time (3 weeks, off and on) afterward. Probiotics helped clear it up.

pkaskaggs 12-29-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake (Post 11928892)
What about giving him probiotics? That can really help. We had some kind of tummy trouble around here a couple of months ago and DD had diarrhea for a long time (3 weeks, off and on) afterward. Probiotics helped clear it up.

yes, she did recommend probiotics. we picked some up today and gave him his 1st dose this evening. i hope that helps! we will continue with that and i will definitely cut dair out of my diet as well.

cupcakewright 12-30-2010 09:01 AM

jUst a though. My 17 month old had this probelm for a month, with diarreah and vomiting for a motnh, we check for rotovirus, etc... thenit dawned on me we had started him on dairy, a motnh before that at 16 months but becaus ether ewas no reaction for over 4 weeks I didn't make the connection. Once we took him off dairy he was fine, within a few days.

Have you started any new foods in the last few months, that might be the offender and it just took this long to make him sick.

I might be tempted to go back to just breastfeeding for 1-2 weeks with no solids and see what happens.

jpabruzzese 12-30-2010 12:48 PM

Is it normal for a dairy reaction to not show up for ten months?

doodah 01-01-2011 03:12 PM

definitely review carefully what table foods he is eating. Just because you have no family history, does not mean that there aren't some sensitivities or allergy issues going on there. i would also recommend the elimination diet. its a really pain but it can provide some very helpful answers.