Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breast & Bottlefeeding...any success?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133004)

jennkix 01-03-2011 04:11 AM

Breast & Bottlefeeding...any success??

My LO was born November 30th and has been exclusively breastfeeding for almost 5 weeks. I am about to introduce bottles since I will be returning to work in about a month. I would like to continue breastfeeding but have my DH be able to feed our LO while I'm at work. I have purchased both Tommee Tippee and Breastflow bottles since they came highly recommended. Just curious to see if anyone has had success with breastfeeding and bottlefeeding at the same time...and if so, what suggestions do you have for the transition?

Thanks!

kai_e 01-03-2011 04:42 AM

Re: Breast & Bottlefeeding...any success??

I'm a WOHM as well. I returned to work when DS2 was about 14 weeks old but I introduced a bottle at around 8 weeks. We tried the TT bottles but they didn't work for us - he would collapse the nipples all the time and get too much air no matter what we did.

You will find a bottle that works for you I am sure. My only recco on that is stay with the lowest flow nipple possible to make your LO work for the milk like he does as the breast. DS2 is now 11 months old and is still on a stage 1 nipple for his bottles at daycare :)

We started by having DH give him a bottle in the middle of the day and then I would pump while DH fed. He took the bottle just fine and never seemed to have an issue going back and forth between the bottle and breast.

Right now he nurses twice before I drop him off at DC, gets 3 bottles there and then nurses in the afternoon and throughout the night.

It is possible mama, lots of WOHMs do it. Feel free to PM anytime.

tamesis 01-03-2011 04:54 AM

I am not working right now, but am having success with a breast/bottle relationship. My daughter is 7 weeks old, and we have been giving her a bottle a couple times a week since she was about 4 weeks. We are using the Avent bottles, which came recommended to us by the LC, and haven't had a problem. :)

HeatherlovesCDs 01-03-2011 06:21 AM

I'm not really doing it much now, but with all my kids, I've been able to offer bottles and still BF. I know there are several moms on here who work and BF. I can think of one in particular who pumps for her son who is in daycare. We used Avent for a while too and then switched to using the Medela because that is the pumping system I use. It was just easier and my kids didn't care. Good Luck!

mysticmomma1879 01-03-2011 06:41 AM

my older dd had no trouble going back and forth between bottle and breast. My other two wouldn't even consider a bottle. depends on the kid (what doesn'?)

jamilynn84 01-03-2011 06:47 AM

My daughter is 3.5 months now. I work evening here and there and she has had no issues going from breast to bottle and back again. She actually has even spent a few nights at nana's house and had bottles for 24 hours straight and gone right back to nursing when I'd come to get her :)

mommyof3armywife 01-03-2011 06:57 AM

Troy and Aimee never took one for me not sure why most liking because I was home all day everyday and never really had much of a reason too so when I tried they wouldn't take it. Naomi I was working and I was BF at work ( I worked in a day care so I was able to do this) but at around 8 months old I had to stop because of medical reasons on my part and she took a bottle for me.

Lanasmom 01-03-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai_e (Post 11952811)
I'm a WOHM as well. I returned to work when DS2 was about 14 weeks old but I introduced a bottle at around 8 weeks. We tried the TT bottles but they didn't work for us - he would collapse the nipples all the time and get too much air no matter what we did.

You will find a bottle that works for you I am sure. My only recco on that is stay with the lowest flow nipple possible to make your LO work for the milk like he does as the breast. DS2 is now 11 months old and is still on a stage 1 nipple for his bottles at daycare :)

We started by having DH give him a bottle in the middle of the day and then I would pump while DH fed. He took the bottle just fine and never seemed to have an issue going back and forth between the bottle and breast.

Right now he nurses twice before I drop him off at DC, gets 3 bottles there and then nurses in the afternoon and throughout the night.

It is possible mama, lots of WOHMs do it. Feel free to PM anytime.

I could have written this exact post including the amt of time that I was home with my baby and our nursing schedule. I will also say that my LO did not do well with the breastflow b/c he collapsed the nipples and got too much with them too. We use the playtex dropins with the latex nipple, which I also understand can be used with the wide mouth ventaire bottles if you don't like the drop in option.

I like the drop in option b/c I can use the bags that I use to store my pumped milk from work as the drop in bags for the bottles. We also use the slowest flow nipple.

My LO will be 8 months old on the 6th and we are still nursing at least 8 times a day when we are home all day together. It CAN be done!

cupcakewright 01-03-2011 10:09 AM

Here is a great link to how to bottle feed a breast baby

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

Lanasmom 01-03-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakewright (Post 11954333)
Here is a great link to how to bottle feed a breast baby

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

I printed this and had my caregiver feed my DS this way. It really worked and that is still how he is fed when he is being fed by a bottle.