Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My name is Pam, and I'm a milk-hoarder (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133008)

tamesis 01-03-2011 05:52 AM

My name is Pam, and I'm a milk-hoarder

I saw this, and just had to share. I've been pumping and EBF since my daughter was born, and, just like this woman, my stash is sooo precious to me! We dipped in the other day so I could have a few drinks, and I felt so sad taking those few bags out of the freezer! I know that's what it's there for, but it just feels like something I have to covet. :) Maybe because I was in the hospital shortly after her birth and almost had to FF, I don't know, but i'm obsessed with having as much milk as I can without pumping 24/7!

http://www.bravadodesigns.com/connec...g/milk-hoarder

HeatherlovesCDs 01-03-2011 07:27 AM

Re: My name is Pam, and I'm a milk-hoarder

LOL! I used to feel the same way and still do to a point. I had a lot. I too was sad to use it and "stingy" with it. I like the security a large freezer stash brings. But, these are my 4th and 5th kids. After tossing out milk with both my first son and my first set of twins, this time I realized I would rather give the milk to someone I know would use it. It doesn't do anyone any good sitting in my freezer if I'm not going to use it. :giggle: So, I started donating. I've donated about 550 oz. I have basically stopped pumping though. So, now, I pump randomly here and there. I only have around 50-60 oz in my freezer right now. :( It doesn't feel like enough, but I'm not even using that. I haven't even given my boys bottles in a few months. I don't anticipate using it. At this point, I am planning to keep it for now. My babies are getting older and I feel like I might need it to mix with food or whatever. I'm not sure, but I can't bring myself to give it all away. :blush: I want to start pumping again. If I do, I'll start donating again too. :goodvibes:

Little Miss Kate 01-03-2011 03:29 PM

I used to have a large stash (+400oz) from pumping when DS was born, but once we got BF really down and we could no longer fit FOOD in our freezer, I donated most of it and continue to do so every 2 months or so. Now I keep ~75 oz as my back up

vane_gator 01-03-2011 07:00 PM

I feel the same way everytime I have to dip into my stash. I have a really small stash though..

all3darlings 01-03-2011 07:21 PM

My newborn son is just about to be 7 weeks old and I already have over 400 oz in the freezer. I've never had to rely on a stash but can't bring myself to dump it out. He is #3 and he is my last. I guess I just kinda feel like I don't want to let go of anything. I never thought about donating......how do you go about doing that? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks mamas

TeachinAuntie 01-03-2011 08:26 PM

Hugs Mama!

I have about 40 oz for my son! Fortunately he's 14 1/2 months old so if something bad happened and I couldn't nurse him, he could be weaned pretty easily to a substitute & real food.

What I have is old too, pumped before he was 10 months old. I'm holding onto it in case my supply diminished during this pregnancy so I can use it in an SNS to keep him interested in the breast & knowing how to latch. I want to tandem!

charscreations 01-03-2011 08:55 PM

Good for you! I cannot seem to make a stash, but I am still BFing at 10 months and counting! Yah!

laura_mae99 01-04-2011 10:53 PM

i work hard to donate my milk... i think i would just cry if something happened and i lost anything that i know was going to a baby i need! but i dont keep it i just donate it... but it still gets to me thinking (( what if while shipping, or in trans. ))

Sally's Red Meadow 01-05-2011 09:52 AM

:) I too have a freezer stash That I put fresh milk in and rotate out the older milk as needed.

uptheleft 01-05-2011 10:34 AM

hahahaha, I was the same way when I was still breastfeeding. My son is now 18 months and I am 8 months out of breastfeeding and the other day I was cleaning out the freezer. I found two bags of milk buried in there and it tore my heart out to throw them away! Silliness but I totally get it.