Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   nursing aaaaaaaaaaall night long! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133806)

libbylou62 01-04-2011 10:36 AM

nursing aaaaaaaaaaall night long!

so DS is 4 months old now, and we bed share and feed on demand. Until just lately, a couple of times a night he would get restless, i would wake up, sit up, feed him, change his diaper, then try and settle us back into bed ..recently, since we've become nursing ninjas (lol it took us a loooong time to get the hang of nursing!), i've discovered that i can just roll with him from side to side and feed him right in the bed. This causes way less disruption for everone and everybody's loving it. The only thing is, usually we both just fall back to sleep while he is latched on so that he spends more time latched on than not ..this doesn't bother me at all, i find nursing all night much less disruptive than getting up once or twice, but my question is, is it okay for him? i can't think of any reason why i wouldn't be, i just thought i'd ask some more experienced mamas to make sure. I don't want to ask my pediatrician, as bedsharing is officially bad.

mama2winnie 01-04-2011 12:02 PM

Re: nursing aaaaaaaaaaall night long!

My daughter does the exact same thing, some time I disconnect the latch if I need to change positions or she moves herself eventually. My pediatrician is not a fan of the cosleeping and eating during the night (response I got when I said it didn't bother me was "you want to get her on a schedule, surely you don't want her just eating through the night, you'll get tired") so I don't bother anymore to discuss it in our appointments. My feeling is, if it works for your family and is not causing harm to your child continue. I know for me I am well rested, at ease and maintaining a meaningful connection to my daughter by co-sleeping and letting her eat on demand during the night.

BunchOfMalarkey 01-04-2011 12:21 PM

Oh, this sounds familiar. Both the nursing all night AND the pediatrician issues. I got the condescending comments on co-sleeping as well. In my experience, and I've done this with all 3 of my children, it's fine to nurse all night like this. Occasionally they will get upset tummies and need a few burps, but otherwise, happy sleeping for everyone!

3sweetboys 01-04-2011 12:24 PM

My LO is almost 4 months now, and we do the exact same thing. I usually put him in his own bed(next to mine) to start the night, but he's with us after that. I haven't heard of any problems from doing that and I'm FINALLY getting some sleep, so we're happy.:mrgreen: My ped hates it too, but the LC I met with actually recommended it. She said it was the only way she could get any sleep when her kids were nursing.:giggle: This is my first BF'er though, so I'm no expert.

cupcakewright 01-04-2011 12:34 PM

Yep, you are fine and so is he, keep up the great work!

JoelleB 01-04-2011 12:40 PM

I did it with all 4 of my kiddo's!!! They are all healthy and happy!!!

libbylou62 01-04-2011 04:39 PM

awesome. thanks so much mamas!

percussionsmith 01-05-2011 07:52 AM

Yup, its all good! My only addition is that if you DO start to get frustrated or feel its too much time/not enough freedom for your sleeping body, you can gently tug a bit with your finger to see if babe is still actually sucking, if not, it'll just slip out and you can move how you please. If he is, wait until you can tell he's really in that deep sleep and try again.
With my 2nd, he's a sucker- ALL the time, so we have actually began using paci's (I can't believe it!) and because he's well versed and going back and forth, I feel no guilt in letting him have a paci if his suckling is keeping me from sleeping or getting comfy. He spits it out when he's sleeping good.

percussionsmith 01-05-2011 07:52 AM

double post---sorry!

ThreadsThatBind 01-05-2011 08:12 AM

Dd nursed allll night long for the first 6 months of her life. She was colicky and it was the only way any of us slept. Unfortunately, I wan't good at nursing her lying down when she was that young, so it meant I was sleeping sitting up most nights. Kudos to you for getting the side lying nursing down when you're lo is still so young! :goodvibes: