Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cloth Nursing Pads? Ideas Please!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1136475)

luv2clothbabies 01-08-2011 12:33 PM

Cloth Nursing Pads? Ideas Please!!

I am Due in March 2011 with my second child and am very interested in using cloth breastpads. With my first i used the Lansinoh disposable pads and absolutely loved them! They were comfortable to wear, never stuck, and absorbed very well. I had tried some other brands and nothing worked quite as well. But...disposable pads are just another expense and since I've switched to the cloth diapering world, thought I'd check out the cloth nursing pads too.

I would like to find something that is fairly absorbent, soft, and does NOT stick. I have read some other posts about their pads sticking and painful to take off. Is this only with cotton or flannel? I am very interested in the Bamboo pads, does bamboo velour not stick?:headscratch: Not that interested in wool though, I have very sensitive skin.

Please comment on your experiences, preferences or spam me! I like what I've heard about the megaroos pads...

Also I use Lansinoh lanolin quite a bit in the beginning... can you use this with cloth pads or would it be better to use disposable for a while then switch to cloth when things are all going well??

Thanks in advance!!

GotPez 01-08-2011 01:59 PM

Re: Cloth Nursing Pads? Ideas Please!!

I have the exact same questions! Also, on average how many pads would we need to last a day?
To OP, I'm still researching brands for myself, but I've heard good things about Bamboobies and was considering trying those. I also got feedback from other mamas on baby center and they told me lanolin is ok to use :)

mama2winnie 01-08-2011 09:36 PM

Hi! In the beginning I needed 2 pair of pads, 1 set for day and a fresh one for the night time. I was leaking pretty heavily so I started with danish wool pads and loved those. Since you don't have to wash those as often I was able to get away with 2 sets of pads b/c one would dry while I used the other. I did fall behind on the maintenance of handwashing them and letting them dry b/c I was still letting down prettily heavily so I started using my daughter's cloth wipes right out of the dispenser. I just folded them into triangles and put them in my bra.
Now that I'm back and work and want something a bit more 'formal' I use babykicks flannel nursing pads b/c I can put them in the washer and they are nice and soft but not too bulky.
I only used disposables briefly b/c I got them as a gift but honestly since I use cloth for everything else (dd diapers, mamacloth etc) it just doesnt make sense plus the reuseable ones are so much nicer against your skin!

taylor's mom 01-08-2011 10:10 PM

i've been using the fuzzibunz ones this time around and love them. they are fleece lined like the diapers, but not hot. if my nipple is really wet when i put the pad back on it will stick a bit, but not if i dry off first.

NewMom1210 01-09-2011 08:23 PM

I use Bamboobies and looove them. They are absorbent and cute. They are heart shaped. They even make night time ones that are much thicker. They are very soft and wash easily. I definitely recommend.

Ainmemphis 01-09-2011 08:28 PM

I bought some from an etsy shop, they were made with flannel. in the beginning I used lanolin quite often so I never had a problem with painful removal of pads. I leaked a lot, but wouldn't normally need to change the pads during the day. I had one pair for day and one pair for night. I also bought some of the gerber reusable ones, but they were too thin I didn't like them very much. The lily pads I tried (the silicone ones that stick to you) but I leaked too much that they did not work for me.

L8dyDi 01-10-2011 02:33 PM

The bamboo is soft and hide well under clothing, but I do occasionally leak through them. I also use Mommy's Touch with microfleece and PUL backing which are extremely soft and absorbent and I don't leak through, but they're a little bulky. I wish Lansinoh made a better cloth nursing pad! :P

ecoboom 01-10-2011 10:40 PM

I agree with post above re Bamboobies! they're awesome. bamboo is THE softest and doesn't feel cold and clammy when wet like cotton does. and they make one thin kind that doesn't show thru and has PUL backing so it doesn't leak - and one super-thick kind for overnight. they make a 'multipack' that has some of each. I bought one and love it and it makes a great shower gift for friends with new babies too - ultra cute colors and hearts! ;)

ecoboom 01-10-2011 10:42 PM

PS - I just read about your concern re sticking and yes, lanolin helps and doesn't compromise the pad. The bamboobies with velour (the regular heart-shaped ones) don't stick as much as the fleece fyi)

luv2clothbabies 01-15-2011 05:43 AM

Thanks mamas for all the ideas! :)