Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Beastfeeding & Surgery: Information GREATLY appreciated (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1136672)

mommajewels 01-08-2011 05:10 PM

Beastfeeding & Surgery: Information GREATLY appreciated

I posted a similar thread about 8 months ago when I first found out my gallbladder needed removed, but it's since been buried deep and I just need to hear it all again. :blush:

So, like I said.. I have to have my gallbladder removed. It first started bothering me when my DD was around 3 weeks old, she is now 10 days away from 9mos old. Basically, it's filled with gallstones. The attacks have gotten worse, and since Dh is currently laid off, we've decided it's best to schedule the surger now, so he can be here with me afterwards.

The reason I put it off 8 mos ago, was because my DD is exclusively breastfed and I was told I couldn't nurse her for 24 hours. On top of that, she ABSOLUTELY refuses to take a bottle, cup, binky, synringe feeding, etc. She will ONLY take the breast. We've worked with her on taking BM from the bottle since we learned I would need my gallbladder removed, but she will NOT have it, at all.

To this day, she is still exclusively breastfed; eating every 4-6hrs, and still will NOT accept a bottle. We've been trying solids about 2 months now, and she just isn't interested. She gags uncontrollably and forces it out of her mouth. :dunno:

So the procedure I'm having will be laproscopic, which makes its outpatient. I will be able to nurse up until they wheel me back. But they said once I am out, I "have" to trash whatever I pump for 24 hours.

Now, I've read very conflicting information about this. Most breastfeeding mama's and LC's tell me I can nurse as soon as I am "sober" enough to function, as that means the anesthesia is out of my system, so it can not affect baby.
Well, I am a worry wart.. and I KNOW I will be worried sick when it comes down to nursing her post-op, afraid she will get some of the anesthesia in her system and it will have a negative affect on her.

So, I need to hear your own personal experiences! Please?

How old was your LO when you had surgery?
How long were you out, away from the baby?
How long post-OP did you wait to nurse?
Did your LO seem affected by the anesthesia at all?
Do you by chance know what kind of anesthesia you had?

Thanks mamas! I am a nervous wreck. Not about the surgery, but about her not being able to eat.... I can't imagine denying her the breast, as she is still very much attached and it's her only means of nourishment.

jefesita 01-08-2011 05:37 PM

Re: Beastfeeding & Surgery: Information GREATLY appreciated

(((HUGS))) I dont have advice for you, but my friend just went through this with a 3 month old. luckily he was just starting to accept a bottle. she was hospitalized for a week because she had complications from the gallstones (previous to her surgery) she couldnt nurse him for just over a week. I was the lucky one that got the watch him when she first went in and got to do the whole bottle with formula thing.

mariamommy 01-08-2011 05:40 PM

Wouldn't the same information apply to you as to a mama who had a c-section? After my c-sections, I nursed as soon as I possibly could, the anesthesia was still wearing off when I nursed all 3 of my kids for the first time and had no ill affects to baby.

Can they give you a reason to pump and dump for 24 hrs? My babies never take bottles either, I understand!

mommajewels 01-08-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariamommy (Post 11997930)
Wouldn't the same information apply to you as to a mama who had a c-section? After my c-sections, I nursed as soon as I possibly could, the anesthesia was still wearing off when I nursed all 3 of my kids for the first time and had no ill affects to baby.

This brings up a very good point! I have friends who had c-sections under general anestesia, and they were never told they couldn't nurse.. in fact, they nursed as soon as they were awake. I don't know why I didn't think of that!! Now I REALLY don't get where they are coming from telling me I can't nurse for 24hrs. :headscratch:

Datamum 01-08-2011 06:15 PM

It depends on the drugs they give you. I recently was in for day surgery and had to pump and dump for 24hrs. My dr "suggested" that I do this, she didn't tell me I had to, she was polite. She did say however there are potential complications with respiratory distress in infants of breastfeeding mothers with the drugs she planned to use, and so it was no question to pump and dump. Best is to talk to your dr, find out what drugs might be used and call LLL to get them to look up the drug in their book.

I had a colonoscopy with biopsies, so they kinda need you to be awake to be able to move around to help with the procedure but not with it to remember or feel pain. That's my take on it.

I don't know what they gave me but I was really loopy, but only realize how loopy in retrospect, I felt fine at the time but have little memory of that evening once I got home. So getting someone elses help is pretty important.

For us, DH did a trial run with the a bottle when I wasn't home a few days before and DS took it on the third try the first day. By the end of the 24hrs I could bottlefeed DS. But I'll add we were both very happy to get back to normal after the 24hrs.

bolstamomma 01-08-2011 06:19 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have to have surgery from my last delivery in a month. I will be put under and then in the hospital for a total of 3 days. My doc says I can not BF at all while in the hospital b/c of all the drugs. So...I've been trying like crazy to pump bottles and we're working with DD to take them...not good so far.
I feel you and will be watching this thread for more info.
In my case I will have more anesthesia than a c-section so the two can be compared. Perhaps that is your case too?
GOOD LUCK! :hugs:

mommy21princess 01-08-2011 06:30 PM

I nursed as soon as I "felt" good, my dd was only 2 weeks old when I had to have an emergency gallbladder removal...my dd only had a total of 3 bottles, I fed her right before going back, then dh gave her one during surgery, one right after and one as soon as we got home, then I nursed the rest of the evening with NO problems. It was all fine!

cupcakewright 01-08-2011 07:51 PM

Yes there are drugs compatable with Breastfeeding it is just that most Dr's are not familar with them or don't want to do the research.

I don't know what most of this means but a Dr would

http://www.infantrisk.org/content/drug-entry-human-milk

Yes mama's with c-sections can nurse right away.

I would insist they use drugs that are baby friendly and you may have to use pain meds that are a bit weaker so you can nurse.

threestraycats 01-08-2011 07:53 PM

I just had my GB removed a month ago. It was laparascopic as well, OP w/no complications.

I pumped for him weeks before so he could have bottles & I was able to nurse about 4 hrs after surgery. The narcotics they use (morphine, fentanyl, etc. are safe).

I declined the higher pain meds post op b/c I was nursing so often & just took Tylenol or Motrin even though some higher meds are safe.

The info they are giving you is wrong--you can nurse post-op!

Check out kellymom & also ask for a 2nd opinion/further research!