Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Possible dairy sensitivity? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141041)

g&g 01-15-2011 09:59 AM

Possible dairy sensitivity?

My DD is 4 weeks old. Every night (mostly just at night) she turns into a holy nightmare. Gassy, fussy, straining to poop. This will go on for 2-5 hours at a time starting about 8-9 until 1am most nights. She either wants to nurse or be held the entire time. I give her gas meds after every feeding at night and the ones throughout the night. Our ped said it could be she is having problems with all the dairy I eat. I eat a lot of yogurt, cheese, and drink milk with dinner every night. I have cut back to just a glass of milk with dinner and some milk in my one cup of coffee in the morning, and she is still a mess. My husband is deployed so it is just me, my 20 month old and the baby. I am losing my mind at night. Last night she started before my ODD went down for bed, so it wasn't fun trying to get her down with YDD screaming in the background. Anyone have any experience with dairy problems? Or could it be something else? I don't remember ODD being like this at night. She was more fussy during the day.

aaiya 01-15-2011 12:18 PM

Re: Possible dairy sensitivity?

Best way to know if dairy is the problem is to stop eating ALL dairy (including hidden dairy in things) for a couple weeks and see if things things improve. If you want suggestions for things to replace your dairy with (I'd suggest staying away from soy), PM me (there are also lots of threads about this). Avoiding dairy can be hard...but having a miserable baby is harder.

cupcakewright 01-15-2011 03:06 PM

It sounds like she is cluster feeding and when she cries she is making herself gassy too..

Are you wearing her during the day?

I would give up the dairy for now. I would wear her during the day...as much as possible. Feed her every 45 min to 1 hour starting around 6pm instead of waiting until 8 and shee if she is better. I would also try Mylicon or gripe water.

My baby has been dairy free since birth and is fussy, gassy and just hard to care for evenings. SOme babies are just like that. Reagan is 1 month today. Usually 6 weeks things get better. So maybe both of us will be getting a break soon!

jamiejo 01-15-2011 03:11 PM

like PP said cutting ALL dairy for 2-3 weeks will give you the best idea. I have been 100% dairy free for just over a year now, and my baby was like a different person when I did it. Does your lo have any mucus or mucousy green streaks in her poo? that is a good sign of a food intolerance.

courtneyo_5 01-15-2011 03:51 PM

This sounds like my daughter exactly. I cut out ALL dairy completely. I also cut out anything that has any sort of milk or milk products in them. Anything with Whey in it (milk protein) Make sure to look at labels on prepackaged foods. It's frustrating at first but you get used to not eating all that stuff. My daughter improved a lot after I cut it out, when I would slip up she would scream her head off at the feeding right after I ate it. I reintroduced milk to my diet when she was about 8 months old and she has done fine with it now. I just had to do it slowly. Good luck

Earthy Momma 01-17-2011 10:05 PM

it could be absolutely anything u eat! not just dairy.
keep a food jernal..
write down wut u have and wen. it very well may be the dairy. but the only way to tell is to cut out absolutely all dairy...for a few days...or so...and if there is still problems. then its probably something else, but that much dairy all the time isnt good fr you anyways. try to really apy attention to wut ur eating. eat a lot of fruits n veggies....pasta and meat....proportion ur meals..but log everything u put in your mouth, all drinks and food!
you need start very basic and try a little bit of different things then if you eat something and it bothers her, then dont eat it....