Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is he trying to wean? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141129)

MyM&W 01-15-2011 01:17 PM

Is he trying to wean?

I have no idea what its like for a child to self wean. My first didn't wean until she was 3.5 years old (3 months after her brother was born, I tandem nursed)
Anyway, my son will be 17 months old on Jan 21st. He went through this spell about 2 months ago where he didn't want to nurse much and I thought he was ready to give it up (14-15 months at the time). Now hes nearing 17 months and doing it again. He will go 2-4 hours and I will offer it and he will see it and smile and come over, but will only nurse for a minute or less and then he will start squirming because he want to get down..as soon as he gets down I start to have let down, thankfully I don't leak.:giggle: so I don't know whats going on. I mean he gets excited when he knows its time to nurse but then doesn't want it when he starts. :headscratch: Its kind of stressing me out because I am not really ready to have him stop, not before 2 anyway.
What do you all think is happening? Thanks!

Karidre 01-15-2011 11:07 PM

Re: Is he trying to wean?

Well normally babies don't self-wean until at least 18 months but he is pretty close to that. Still he is nursing when he comes over right? Just not for very long. Maybe he has just gotten really efficient at it? Does he still nurse at night?

MyM&W 01-17-2011 07:49 PM

Yes he still nurses at night and when hes sleepy. Sometimes he will come up and fuss and point and say "num num" thats what we taught him to say when hes hungry for mama's milk...so I will nurse him and its very short lived, sometimes less then a minute. Sometimes he will nurse and then stop a minute or so later and then I will put him down and he will cry and want me to pick him up to nurse again. So, I do and he wants down a minute or so later again and I'm fed up with that. Basically he wants to play around and stand up while nursing lol. He just doesn't know what he wants I guess.
But yes, hes still night nursing and normally nurses 2-3x a day.

Karidre 01-18-2011 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyM&W (Post 12069763)
Yes he still nurses at night and when hes sleepy. Sometimes he will come up and fuss and point and say "num num" thats what we taught him to say when hes hungry for mama's milk...so I will nurse him and its very short lived, sometimes less then a minute. Sometimes he will nurse and then stop a minute or so later and then I will put him down and he will cry and want me to pick him up to nurse again. So, I do and he wants down a minute or so later again and I'm fed up with that. Basically he wants to play around and stand up while nursing lol. He just doesn't know what he wants I guess.
But yes, hes still night nursing and normally nurses 2-3x a day.

Maybe it is just distraction? Maybe try bringing him to a dark, quiet room to nurse each time if you can. But he may just come back to it on his own. Often times, they will go through a phase where they are mastering something (sitting, crawling, walking, etc.) and then, once they have mastered it, they will want to nurse more often.