Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Milk still in my breasts years after having my children?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1142951)

wyatt09 01-18-2011 12:48 PM

Milk still in my breasts years after having my children?!

I still have milk in my breasts years after having my children. My daughter was born in 2002 and I can still squeeze my breast and have milk spray out. I have a boy who is almost two..I was done breastfeeding him at 7 months and I still have milk.Like with my daughter(8 years later) Im just expecting to always have milk..its only in my right breast.But If I tried hard enough Im sure I can get some from the left. Is this normal?? Do other moms have this happen to them? If so..why? If Im no longer breastfeeding I dont get why my milk never went away..It decreased immensely of course..but not fully.

help.
ps. its not any sort of infection and it doesnt bother me bit its just weird..

Havah 01-18-2011 01:58 PM

Re: Milk still in my breasts years after having my children?!

Just food for thought ... "back in the day" there was a place in society for wet nurses. Just like there were women (like my poor grandmother) who simply couldn't lactate enough for the life of them, there's a percentage of the population who, once started, never fully cease (at least until menopause). It actually worked well for everyone involved a couple hundred years ago as the wet nurse could hire herself out to feed the newborn of a sickly or otherwise underlactating mama.
I guess what I'm saying is that the prevalence of the wet nurse in history tells me that your blessing isn't as uncommon as modern society might have you think ... ;)

keen1981 01-18-2011 02:00 PM

Completely normal. COMPLETELY. Just don't squeeze them. LOL.

BargainAmy 01-18-2011 04:24 PM

Ooh. I think that might be a nice problem! Have you considered donating to a breast milk bank? There's a lot of preemies out there that would LOVE you! :-)

GracieGooseSC 01-18-2011 04:46 PM

I had milk for about 2 years after stopping breastfeeding, it wasn't a lot but I suppose I could have gotten things going again if there had been a need. Very interesting!

ymmom0711 01-19-2011 04:47 AM

my mom still leaks at the sound of any baby crying and i just get the let down feeling if i hear the hungry baby cry and i run away because i think i might start to leak and i run so that i dont go tell the mom to feed the baby

mabelinoad 01-19-2011 05:18 AM

I get the let down feeling too...a year lator!

AniMommy 01-19-2011 10:09 PM

I've read that some famous wet nurse (maybe in Ina Mae's Guide or some other such book) could still express breast milk until her 80's.