Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In May (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Non Twins In The Same Grade>?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146601)

Ames2x 01-24-2011 06:14 AM

Non Twins In The Same Grade>??

Had an off the wall thought the other day, because of the cut-offs for school DS and on the way DD will most likely be in the same grade even though they are not twins. Has anyone else experienced this>? Is it a positive or negative thing? I just found it to be a bit baffling. Maybe we will just homeschool for a while :giggle:

Mama4Ways 01-24-2011 06:49 AM

Re: Non Twins In The Same Grade>??

Two of my older kids who were 20 months apart were in the same grade. One was held back a year until she was ready, and my other son was ready early, so they ended up together. I kept them in the same class due to how their personalities/needs/strengths meshed and it worked out great for them. When they hit middle school, we put them in entirely different schools--mostly because we did magnet schools for their needs and interests, and that seemed to work fine for them.

This baby will end up being a year behind in school from my next up dd by birth ages, but next up dd was born only 2 days before the cut off, and has some developmental delays, so they will probably be in the same grade too. We will see what happens when the time comes as to class placement and such, but it really isnt a huge deal. It actually makes the school activities a lot more simple when they are younger.

Im sure you will find a rhythm that works for yours!

CntryMama 01-24-2011 08:04 AM

Its tough but you can do it!

chippybug10 01-24-2011 10:35 AM

Wow I never thought about this, but I think this will apply to us as well. DS was born in Nov 09 and the next baby will be born May 11, so I *think* that means they'll be in the same grade. That's really dumb when you consider just how far apart in development they could be.

sh0rtchica 01-24-2011 11:50 AM

wow i never even thought about that! my sister and i are only 15 months apart - but we were two grades apart! she started early (we moved and she'd just turned 5 so they let her in kg even though she missed the cut-off), i was average age for my grade. we shared friends through our outside activities (sports and piano) when we got a bit older, but never in school. i don't know that i'd want my kiddos to have that, either! i always thought it was weird for my friends who had a sibling one grade apart, i can't imagine being in the SAME grade!

doodah 01-24-2011 12:00 PM

my nieces are in the same grade. They are 13 months apart and one skipped a grade. Never been a problem and they have always been in the same class.

Julesboch 01-24-2011 12:45 PM

I have asked about this since my girls are 12 months apart. Many school districts will allow you to keep them together or seperate them. I feel that mine will fare better being apart since DD1 is such an Alpha female and DD2 is so mild so they need that distinction of older and younger.

twolittlebirds 01-24-2011 12:53 PM

All of my friends who are teachers have recommended splitting my twins into different classes anyway, so for non twins I would definitely do the same. Beyond that, it's an interesting scenario! I think how well it works out will depend on their relationship.

thaisa47 01-24-2011 07:28 PM

DH's niece and nephew (now 14 years old) were born in the same calendar year. They went to a small, private catholic school, and were always in different classes. Also, being boy and girl, they had 2 different sets of friends. I wouldn't call it a negative experience, and I can't recall either of them complaining.

Fishie Kisses 01-24-2011 10:09 PM

My oldest 2 are 23 months apart and YDS and this baby will be 17mo. I fully intend to keep them in separate grades.

Though by my math, it won't even be an issue. Mine are Dec '09 and May '11 also. DS2 will be ready for K in Sept of '15 (he'll be 6 that December). DS3 will only be 4.5 and won't turn 5 til the following May, so won't start K til Sept '16.