Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Forum Use Questions - Ask the Pros (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   How do they make any $$? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1147083)

SupernovaLA 01-24-2011 06:20 PM

How do they make any $$?

Ok, so I have bought a few things on here, and they were all listed as ppd. So lets say I buy a dipe for $7 and it arrives and I see on the package it cost the seller $6.75 to send it. Why would anyone do that??

I would like to sell some of my dipes but this seems like a lame way to recoup the money. Am I missing something?

vlemay1023 01-24-2011 06:29 PM

Re: How do they make any $$?

usually it doesn't cost $6.75 to mail one diaper. sometimes sellers don't know the cheapest way to send dipes. it is to use pp to print the ship labels, this way it only costs $.19 for dc and don't use flat rate envelopes unless the item is over 13 oz in most cases. Otherwise, first class is most popular.hth

DaisyDiaper728 01-24-2011 06:40 PM

Wow, sometimes I only make $3-$4 but yeah, you're right if that is all the profit, that's not worth it.
I always try to ship through PayPal. I agree with the PP, it costs 19 cents for DC through PayPal and 90 cents if you get it at the PO. And I don't usually ship Priority unless the buyer wants it or the item is over 13 ounces. I always calculate $3 for shipping and PayPal for items I can send First Class and then add that to what I want to get for the item. I tend to just eat a bit of the cost if the buyer buys multiple items and I end up shipping Priority.

johnsbabymama 01-24-2011 07:10 PM

If i were to sell stuff, which i have in the past, but my prices would be low to sell items. My outlook is to help another mama out. I never thought of it as something to make money on really. To me i look at diaperswappers as a place to buy diapers at a price you can afford. I can see if you were buying some pricier dipes, but seriously why would anyone pay a crazy amount for something you baby pooped in, so don't expect to make lots of money on used diapers.

yodaro 01-24-2011 07:24 PM

Thanks for the advice to use paypal to print labels and to ship first class.

hpfgirl 01-24-2011 07:27 PM

I only expect to get enough to pay for shipping, paypal fees, the polymailer, plus a couple bucks toward my yarn fund.

johnsbabymama 01-24-2011 07:38 PM

Ever thought alot of mamas cloth diaper because it's cheap, so when you are selling your child's poopped in diapers, they are helping out another mama in need. So really, the money you spent was well worth it, cause you child or like me, children got there use of the diapers, so now it's time to pass them on to someone else, and even better, someone who can't afford brand new diapers. I remember when i first started cloth diapering my now 2 year old, i couldn't afford the start up of all the nice brand new diapers. I settled with brand new kushies, which got the job done, but still most of my stash is used diapers, i hunted and hunted for nice mamas just trying to get the diapers in a good home with a baby to use them, and at a price i could afford.

langyork 01-24-2011 07:59 PM

:popcorn:

SupernovaLA 01-24-2011 10:08 PM

lol how did this get to be a debate?! :) I wasn't really expecting to make tons of money, it was just that I need to sell my smaller dipes in order to afford the larger ones... problem is, if I make .75 per dipe, I am in bad shape.

Anyway, thanks for the advice regarding Paypal and postage. By the way, what is "dc?"

Fishie Kisses 01-24-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupernovaLA (Post 12129129)
lol how did this get to be a debate?! :) I wasn't really expecting to make tons of money, it was just that I need to sell my smaller dipes in order to afford the larger ones... problem is, if I make .75 per dipe, I am in bad shape.

Anyway, thanks for the advice regarding Paypal and postage. By the way, what is "dc?"

DC is delivery confirmation, and mandatory when selling on DS. Plus, it will protect you in the event you end up with a shady buyer (which I truly hope never happens)

I agree with you that you should make more than .75 per diaper if the goal is to fund a new stash, BUT I like to buy from the mamas who sell practically FFS. :giggle: I use my diapers til they are nearly dead. When DS2 potty trains in the next few months, I will be selling his stash for practically nothing.

If your diapers are in excellent condition AND you are smart about shipping, you'll make a few bucks or more (depending on the brand) to go toward the new ones :thumbsup: