Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Silly Butter Question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154650)

*KaiMom* 02-05-2011 09:26 PM

Silly Butter Question

Sorry this may seem basic knowledge but I'm really in the dark about butter.

What is the difference between butter and margarine?

Does it make a difference in cooking?

What is the difference between butter made with canola oil, olive oil etc. in regards to baking?

We used to buy the Fleismanes (sp?) butter made with olive oil. I noticed that it wasn't that great to bake with because it melted very fast and got "soupy". Then we switched to Land o' Lakes made with canola because it was supposed to be preservative free...but I didn't like the fact that it was with canola. Now they are making olive oil Land o' Lake...I'm so confused what is the best for baking and health wise that isn't too expensive:headscratch:

meeshkasheeba 02-06-2011 10:51 AM

Re: Silly Butter Question

My opinion is to just use real butter without the additives. It tastes better and there are lots of studies that say butter is actually better for you than margarine. Margarine is a man made product using vegetable oils (ie canola, soy, olive, corn, etc) that are partially or fully hydrogenated. I don't want to have a thing t do with it but if you are interested in it cooking properties then I would look into an Alton Brown episode because he goes over the properties of butter, margarine, and crisco lard.

This woman does a great job of explaining the difference between butter and margarine: http://nourishedkitchen.com/food-war...-vs-margarine/

Here is part of the Butter episode of Alton Brown Season 3 Episode 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrvN-yG8P8s

2queens&1princenmyhouse 02-06-2011 03:16 PM

Butter that is mixed with oil, be it canola, olive or whatever, is done to make it "spreadable." If you use it in baking, it will be soupier b/c the consistency won't be the same. You could probably get around that by using less of it, but I agree with pp to just use plain butter.

Also margaine is made with soybean oil most of the time. Unless your margarine is organic, then I think there are a couple of problems with it (this is my opinion only). First, the soy has been genetically modified. I don't feel comfortable consuming food that we don't really know how it will interact with our bodies/environment long term. As much as I try, I haven't eliminated all GM food from our diets, but I am really trying to be aware of it and limit our consumption. Second, foods that are made with partially hydrogenated oils have a much higher concentration of Omega-6 fats and very little Omega-3 fats. They are lower fat than butter, but the type of fat they have is consistent with an increase of heart disease and other chronic health problems. When you think about it, America's chronic health problems coicinde with the advent of industrialized food. The more our food is tampered with, the more health problems we seem to have (this coupled with more sedentary lifestyles of course). With those things in mind, I try to make food choices for my family that are the closest to the source as possible. For us, budget-wise, that doesn't mean a lot of organic, but I do try to stick with more whole foods and less processed foods.

delicatefade 02-06-2011 03:27 PM

What is the difference between butter and margarine?

Butter is a natural food, made from cream, sometimes with added salt.
Margarine is man-made using partially or fully hydrogentated oils (very unhealthy for you).
Butter with added oils is meant to be for spreading on bread, etc. It will be softer and melt faster than regular butter. If you want butter for baking, use real butter.

Does it make a difference in cooking?

Yes!!! Butter is so much tastier and nicer for cooking/baking. It gives better texture to baked goods, and superior flavor as well.

What is the difference between butter made with canola oil, olive oil etc. in regards to baking?

Butter with added oils is not really meant for baking, because it is too runny. Like tub margarine is meant for spreading and block margarine is made for baking, the same thing kind of applies for butter. Soft butter (mixed with oils) in a tub is meant for spreading. Hard REAL butter comes in blocks or sticks for baking.

kezoo 02-07-2011 01:32 PM

ITA with pp. We LOVE butter around here. :)

SarahLee318 02-08-2011 05:51 AM

Butter to bake, butter to eat for me and my family ,hehehe.

KryzdanJDC 02-10-2011 11:28 PM

on a side note here I think that the spreadable butter (with the oils) is a waste of money! Butter does not need to be refridgerated so I always fridge or freeze most of it and leave a stick out at room temp so it is soft enough to spread! just make sure you have a butter tray or a container to keep it closed up in! Not to mention you cant use the spreadable kind in baking or lots of recipes! Plus i think REAL butter tastes much better! (actually i think the kind you can make at home tastes even better but well i dont have the time or money and dont like wasting the milk you drain off since i have no idea what else i would do with it!)

jasminegrl 02-11-2011 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KryzdanJDC (Post 12265569)
on a side note here I think that the spreadable butter (with the oils) is a waste of money! Butter does not need to be refridgerated so I always fridge or freeze most of it and leave a stick out at room temp so it is soft enough to spread! just make sure you have a butter tray or a container to keep it closed up in! Not to mention you cant use the spreadable kind in baking or lots of recipes! Plus i think REAL butter tastes much better! (actually i think the kind you can make at home tastes even better but well i dont have the time or money and dont like wasting the milk you drain off since i have no idea what else i would do with it!)

if you are going to eave your butter out get the salted kind, unsalted butter does need to be refrigerated since there is no salt to act as a preservative. :thumbsup:
we try and use organic unsalted butter, since there is so much sodium in everything now a days, but because we are trying to fatten up DD(FTT) we are using butter mixed with olive oil for her since it has a higher calorie content

Liadan23 02-11-2011 04:15 PM

ditto all the above. only real butter in this house. :) it just tastes better and imo, is so much better for you. i avoid canola/soybean oil like the plague. olive oil isn't as bad if you must have something spreadable, but i just prefer the real thing honestly.

amandamcgrady 02-13-2011 07:35 PM

I was told that Margarine makes your cookies chewy and butter makes them crispy.