Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   preparing for an interview (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1155074)

alabamafamily 02-06-2011 06:48 PM

preparing for an interview

I haven't been on a job interview in nearly 10 years. I have my very first one this Tuesday. PLEASE help me! What are some of the questions I should be prepared to answer? I feel so rusty.:blush:

kocho 02-06-2011 10:54 PM

Re: preparing for an interview

I'm in the same boat hon!!

Here's what I'm thinking for questions. Of course they will have to be altered to fit the convo.

What will be expected of me?

What is the dress code?

What are the hours? (We already went over this one on the phone)

What does the training entail? (For mine there will be some travel for training that I am nervous about)

I think wage and benefits are more second interview questions. But I was already told the pay rate and since it's part time I doubt there will be benefits.

That's all I have so far. I hope that helps.

lilac0226 02-07-2011 12:16 AM

What experience do you have that qualifies/prepares you for this job?

Tell me more about yourself (this is sometimes a trick question, you think it is to answer about yourself personally, but more it is a professional question, but depends on the job)

What makes you a better candidate than others?

What are your strengths/weaknesses?

Give me an example of a time when you had to deal with a difficult person/customer service issue/a person in crisis (things that could relate to the job)

Some other things I recommend, do your research on the company, it is very common for them to ask you more about what they do, or something about the position and you look bad when you try to apply for a job at a company that you have no clue who they are or what they do and you want to work there but you don't know what you will do either.

I always come prepared with typed up questions to ask, things such as: what is the most challenging thing about this job? what are short comings that others have had that were not able to be successful in this position? What characteristics are you looking for in the person you pick for this position?

I TA'd in college in an interviewing and listening class and also briefly taught job skills in a youth program. I generally interview well and have gotten most jobs I have interviewed for (nothing major, I'm just a correctional officer). My best asset is being prepared, if you really want the job I think it impresses employers when you seem to know about their company and really want to learn more about the job.

On my sheet with questions I leave space to write notes, which I do during the interview. If I ask them something or they just tell me stuff I write it down. I also make a point of when going into an interview of shaking hands and saying everyone's names. I then write them down, if I'm not sure on any of the spellings I will ask the secretary or look them up on their website if they have one. I then always write thank you cards, preferably to each individual thanking them for their time and consideration, it is also a way of slipping in things you forget.

One more of my tricks, things I don't want to forget to say during the interview I also put on my sheet of paper, I'll bold or bullet them so they stand out.

Good luck on your interview, I think with preparation anyone can interview well. Some things are dependent upon the job. Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

hpfgirl 02-07-2011 12:27 AM

Here's a tough one: "What have you been doing for the past 10 years?"

kocho 02-07-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kocho (Post 12230752)
I'm in the same boat hon!!

Here's what I'm thinking for questions. Of course they will have to be altered to fit the convo.

What will be expected of me?

What is the dress code?

What are the hours? (We already went over this one on the phone)

What does the training entail? (For mine there will be some travel for training that I am nervous about)

I think wage and benefits are more second interview questions. But I was already told the pay rate and since it's part time I doubt there will be benefits.

That's all I have so far. I hope that helps.

I'm sorry I answered the opposite of what you asked. My bad!!

Questions you'll need to answer:

What is your education, qualifications?

Explain your job history including any gaps.

What makes you the person for this job?

kocho 02-07-2011 06:38 AM

Oh and a lot of the questions I'm expecting at my interview wouldn't normally be asked at an interview so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Lovinmama3 02-07-2011 08:45 AM

Make sure you do your research about the company you're interviewing with! They might ask you what you know about their company and it's great to be able to name off a few facts. I conduct interviews at my job and it always catches my attention when someone knows something about our business. And if they don't come out and ask, feel free to slip it into one of your answers. :)

saralovesdiapers 02-19-2011 08:21 PM

how did it go?!

BabyDiaperService 05-26-2011 11:31 AM

Few pointers: relax, be yourself. Think of it as a conversation with a friend. Be comfortable with the past experiences you have and ready to talk about what was exciting of each. You want to be interested in the position. If there are things that you are not interested in, then keep looking - I bet you won't get a job that you are not all that excited about.

Read the job description and find stories of when you did something similiar in the past. This helps you prepare for the unexpected. If there is something in the description that you have not directly done, you can display the skills that you do have that are related, through the story that you tell.

Usually the interview starts off with an explanation of what they are looking for. It can be very conversational if you keep to your stories you prepared - while still feeling natural of a conversation.

It can help to find a friend or family member that works at the company already to get an idea what they are looking for in a candidate. For example, is there an emphasis on confidentiality and so on.

Good luck!