Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Saying the "R" sound (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1155176)

*Hadassah* 02-06-2011 09:24 PM

Saying the "R" sound

At what point is it crucial to be able to say the "r" sound? Any tricks to help him say it?

My ds is almost 2. R's end up as a W or Y sound (woad for road, watey for water, etc.). I've been working with him when we play (making the cars go rrr, rrrr) and having him try to mimic my mouth saying word with R's, but I'm just not sure how to help him any more, or if I should even worry about it just yet.

megkmc 02-06-2011 09:43 PM

Re: Saying the "R" sound

R is one of the more difficult sound and one of the last to develop. DD#1 couldn't say R until about 2 1/2. So I am not an expert, but I wouldn't be worried yet.

z2akids 02-06-2011 09:44 PM

rrrr is actually one of the last sounds that are developmentally appropriate. Our school doesn't normally start speech therapy for "r" sounds until 2nd grade. So 6-8 ish years old is when you should expect that to be correct.

My son started speech in 1st grade (at 6) for his R's because they were actually hindering his reading. However, that was unusual in terms of therapy because we believed for him it was habitual, not developmental.

At this stage, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Certainly, continue to model the correct sound, but anticipate that he will improve as his motor function improves.

Janine 02-06-2011 10:10 PM

I said my Rs like Ws for long time. My elementary school started me in speech therapy when I was in 3rd grade. Even though the therapy was only an hour once a week, I quickly learned to correct myself. Anyhow, I'm no expert, but I wanted to let you know that I didn't get help for this until I was 7 and I got over it really well. I wouldn't worry too much just yet. :)

JustAugust 02-06-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2akids (Post 12230486)
rrrr is actually one of the last sounds that are developmentally appropriate. Our school doesn't normally start speech therapy for "r" sounds until 2nd grade. So 6-8 ish years old is when you should expect that to be correct.

My son started speech in 1st grade (at 6) for his R's because they were actually hindering his reading. However, that was unusual in terms of therapy because we believed for him it was habitual, not developmental.

At this stage, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Certainly, continue to model the correct sound, but anticipate that he will improve as his motor function improves.

Yep. I was going to say it's like 7 or so before they actually worry about Rs.

BabyCentric 02-06-2011 10:32 PM

Yep, ds just turned 4 and still says his R's like W. I wouldn't worry.

mommakittie 02-06-2011 10:39 PM

I also had speech therapy for "r's" and I was in 2-3 grade. I actually got my "impediment" from my Brooklyn Uncle, their "r's" aren't always clear, so in my case I don't believe that I needed the therapy as it was not hindering my learning or confidence, it just wasn't what the school thought it should be. What he hears is what he says. I would say don't worry until your doc worries, or his teachers, and then think about the true need for the therapy.

pbb119 02-06-2011 10:44 PM

My 2 oldest boys (6 and 8) could not say R until just recently. I found out most ped's won't even give you a referral for speech therapy unless the child has reached his 7th bday. It is the most difficult sound to make, and the last to develop. At 2 yrs, it would be more uncommon for a child to be able to say it correctly than not.

A few tips from our ST:

Have child always drink w/a straw as it helps to develop that muscle that is needed to make the r sound.

ugh, all of a sudden I can't remember the other things :O I am drawing a complete blank!!!! I will have to look that stuff up and post again later! But anyway, you have some time before you have to worry about it! :)

kameroosky 02-07-2011 01:42 AM

I went to speach therapy in second grade for that so I was about 7. I can say it just fine now :D

cassieJJ 02-07-2011 01:48 AM

We do monster sounds for the 'r' sound with our ds. RRRRRRock RRRack RRRats