Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Contractions? And Q's for Preemie Moms.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158215)

MyKzooFamily 02-11-2011 05:17 PM

Contractions? And Q's for Preemie Moms..

For Preemie Moms... did you know that you were in labor? Did you have a delivery w/o meds because you weren't aware until the last minute? Or if you were on meds to stop labor, when did you finally deliver?

This is my 3rd pregnancy, and I usually start my false labor/pressure a few weeks before I deliver. The last few days, the pressure/BH's have become more frequent, and they get a little more painful. It kind of worries me, because I have a MW so I don't have a DR that would do a scan to check for contractions. I also have insurance that covers nothing, so I'm avoiding going in for anything unless it's really alarming or necessary.

I'm 30 weeks now, and just feel like it's too early to feel this way. My entire belly tenses up, but it's not painful. And I do feel period-like cramps, but it's a pain/pressure that lasts for a full minute or more. Before it just lasted a half hour. The next few days after that, they came for a block of a couple hours. Now, I seem to be getting them more frequently throughout the day.

I will most definitely call the MW and head to the hospital if they ever become timeable/regular and painful. But I have heard some mama's say that they 'didn't know they were really in labor'.. so that kind of scares me. I'd much rather be precautious and be able to get meds and steroids for the LO if she needs it, then wait until it's too late.

Just wondering if mama's of preemies went into labor all of a sudden, or if it was gradual.

I plan to stay off my feet and drink lots of water. :)

Almacham 02-13-2011 12:24 PM

Re: Contractions? And Q's for Preemie Moms..

Yes, definitely rest, rest, rest, as much as you possibly can, stay well hydrated and if you have the time, when you're experiencing these contractions grab a pen and paper and just keep a little record of them. You might start to see a pattern you never realized was there before.

I want to reassure you but I have to tell you, I am one of those preemie mom's who never knew she was in real labor until it was kinda too late.

I had my first one at 36 weeks, what they consider a later-term preemie. I had the same kind of contractions you describe, but no real pattern. Their only concern was my cervix had begun to prematurely shorten/efface, and by the time the contractions became regular I was 35 weeks and they sent me straight to bed. His lungs were not mature yet. They checked me at my 36 week appointment and I was already dilated to a little more than 3cm, 90% effaced, and his head was pressing into the cervix. Nine hours later, he was born.

My second one was the only one considered "term" - she arrived at 37 weeks.

And my third one came at 33 weeks. I had four weeks of constant contractions and back pain. They never took me seriously because the contractions were not consistent, such as every ten minutes or what have you. But they came hourly. This is what I always tell mom's who are worried about preterm labor now... The uterus doesn't have a stopwatch! Sometimes it doesn't have to undergo regular, timed contractions for labor to begin. The doctors kept insisting to me, in all their wisdom, that I was just "overreacting" and needed to "hydrate more" even though I drank juice and water every couple hours and a gallon of milk every other day in an attempt to stave off these contractions. It didn't work. All I heard was "those aren't regular so..." or "Well... see, we'd be concerned if they were coming every five or ten minutes but they're pretty erratic, so..." I couldn't believe they just kept brushing me off, just because the contractions were sporadic - they came night and day, I knew something was wrong! I had to check into the hospital because an illness I had been fighting (sinus infection) caused blood sugar issues (I'm Type 1 diabetic), and I begged the nurse to have someone check me. I didn't think I was actually about to deliver this child, but I knew something was happening kwim? She brushed me off too. When the night shift nurse came in to introduce herself, I stopped her short and just begged, begged, begged for a doctor to come in and just check me. She listened, thankfully. I was already 6cm dilated at that point and the contractions were finally "regular" after that. Labor lasted another two hours, fifty four minutes.

They gave me a shot to try to stop labor, didn't work. Gave me a steroid shot for her lungs once they realized oopsie, we waited too long and now the baby's coming no matter what, but she was born less than an hour later so it only got into my system, not hers. She had to have a lot of oxygen in the first couple of weeks.

I think the reason I didn't realize I was in labor was because I kept being fed this info that the contractions had to be regular to mean anything (false - if they're painful or constant or even just frequent, stay on top of it and get checked out!) and also being fed the myth that labor is so horribly, terribly painful (for some women, it's not - I experienced Pitocin contractions with my first two and yes, that was horrifically painful but natural labor pains compared to that, didn't seem so bad at all and I was about 9cm dilated yet completely coherent, didn't feel the need to get an epi, etc).

:hugs: Just continue to be very aware of what your body is telling you, and like I said, keep a little record book of the contractions just in case. Be sure to seek help immediately if you just aren't sure about something - if you are concerned about these contractions or another symptom, but don't know if this is truly labor or not, for instance. Good luck to you, mama! Hang in there, I hope all goes well.

MyKzooFamily 02-13-2011 02:04 PM

Thank You SOOOO much for this!! :yeahthat:

I know I was having some kind of preterm labor.. but everyone just kept saying.. they aren't regular and you're not screaming in pain, so it's nothing. Luckily I haven't had those same labor/contractions for 2 days now. :) Which is SO good. And it just supports my idea that it wasn't just some daily BH contractions that I will have from now until the end. I really think I was going into preterm labor.

I'm just glad it has stopped! I plan to take it as easy as I can and drink lots. It bothered me that even though I'm drinking a gallon of milk every 2 days also, and taking hot showers and laying down, it didn't stop the contractions. That's when I knew something was wrong. Even when I had labor the day before or the day of delivery.. I was still able to stall or stop my contractions with the hot shower and laying down or drinking alot. Of course closer into the labor there was no stopping them. But I just knew it was more then just nothing.

I'm really hoping to make it to atleast 36 weeks. My MW won't deliver any earlier, and even at 36 she is hesitant, and really prefers I be 37. So hopefully this little girl just had a problem of some sort and is fine now. I DID find out that I had a yeast infection (which I've never had before.. so it confused me!). As soon as the yeast infection was gone, I've been good since. So that could have aggravated it!! Thank goodness I looked up the symptoms I was having and got the medicine for it! :)

Best wishes with your little one, too! I hope she stays in there so you can have another close-to-term or full term baby. :D

Almacham 02-13-2011 08:54 PM

:thumbsup: Thank you! :)

Yes, yeast infections can definitely cause problems... I got a really horrible one back in December. I had a ton of contractions around the same time. The doctor who checked me out said the yeast overgrowth was irritating my cervix a lot and causing problems. They wanted it treated & gone asap! It's amazing how big of a deal something like a yeast infection can become when you're pregnant.

Best of luck to you mama! I'm so glad the contractions have stopped. Hopefully the rest of your pregnancy will be worry free! :hugs:

Jasmini 02-13-2011 09:25 PM

I have no preemie experience (luckily), but I had a lot of c/x at around 30 weeks in this and my last pregnancy. I'm wondering, if this is a time when the baby inside grows a lot and therefore causes c/x. Good luck to you!

kristinc 02-13-2011 09:28 PM

i had that tightening feeling and always just thought it was the babies moving but was contractions...and i was having them for a LONG time...i would go and get checked....i would rather pay the bill than have a preemie born at 30 weeks that could have possibly been prevented:2cents:

hippieintraining 02-13-2011 09:31 PM

My naturopathic Dr has me taking magnesium citrate, since last time labor started at 34 weeks. I have a dosage range to take, depending on how frequent/intense the contractions are... It's supposed to calm the uterus. I'm supposed to stop taking it at 36.5 (and I'm almost 33 now).

I never had regular contractions. I never knew when 'real' labor was starting. My prodromal labor lasted a month, and DS arrived at 38.5 weeks, perfectly healthy (though I thought I was going crazy from a month of labor).

I'm doing hypnobabies this time and plan on starting my 'baby stay IN' track if things really start up strong again... hopefully not!!

GL!! Really!! And yes, rest... :)

MyKzooFamily 02-15-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippieintraining (Post 12285302)
My naturopathic Dr has me taking magnesium citrate, since last time labor started at 34 weeks. I have a dosage range to take, depending on how frequent/intense the contractions are... It's supposed to calm the uterus. I'm supposed to stop taking it at 36.5 (and I'm almost 33 now).

I never had regular contractions. I never knew when 'real' labor was starting. My prodromal labor lasted a month, and DS arrived at 38.5 weeks, perfectly healthy (though I thought I was going crazy from a month of labor).

I'm doing hypnobabies this time and plan on starting my 'baby stay IN' track if things really start up strong again... hopefully not!!

GL!! Really!! And yes, rest... :)

Yeah.. the prodromal labor is a killer. It completely exhausts you, that is for sure! I remember when real labor came.. I was so exhausted from the previous weeks of false labor that it just seemed to last forever and ever. I just tore my pelvic muscles (which had been weak for a long time).. :cry: so now I'm on bedrest and can only get around in a walker or a wheelchair. So I'm taking it easy! I should be better in a few weeks, but basically plan to stay on some easy bedrest until delivery. DH's little sister who is 16 just came this week to stay with us to help me with my DS and the house. So I think we will have her stay all the way up until I deliver and a little after. :hugegrin:

3rockstars 02-15-2011 09:50 AM

For me, I had PPROM at 32weeks with both my preemies. It was totally random in the middle of the night once after lots of preterm labor for WEEKS and weeks of bedrest from PIH and the other it happened without warning and no other symptoms.

Both my girls were inductions with pitocin as I never went into labor. One was born at 33 weeks and one was born at 34weeks. My 34 weeker we had time for betamethasone shots for her lungs and the 33weeker never had time for the shots. She does have asthma now so. . . . .something to think about. They both stayed about 2 weeks in the nicu for different issues. Both were good sizes for their gestational age. My 34 weeker was 5lbs 3oz and my 33 weeker was 4lbs 12oz.

I think I KNEW my girls would be early. I didn't want to listen to my body but I knew. I insisted on washing all the diapers and blankets and clothing and setting up the house completely at 32 weeks with my 34weeker. Everyone told me I'd just be rewashing in 2 months but I HAD to do it. And 3 days later, my water broke. With my 33 weeker, I was still working full-time waitressing and everyone kept telling me that I wouldnt' make it until my due date, I was going early. My boss worried for me constantly. I kept telling her everything was fine, no issues. But in my mind I knew she was right. I felt it too. I knew any day I would be calling in sick to work. And my water broke 3 hours before I was due to work and I had to call in sick on my way to the hospital and tell them to cover my shifts indefinitely. Mom always knows, deep in her gut. I didn't want to listen because I ddin't want two preemies but I knew in my heart that we weren't going to make it.

jillybeans 02-15-2011 11:10 AM

With my 35 weeker I had contractions like that and ignored them. Mostly because the same thing had happened with my 2nd dd, and I was told she'd be early and she came at 40+6. But...at 35+4 my water broke. I always wonder if I'd payed attention if we would have had a different outcome.

I agree with the previous poster...something inside me DID know when I looked back. We had just moved into our brand new house four days prior, and of all the things to put away, the nursery, baby clothes, bassinet...all of the baby stuff HAD to be done the first day.

Have you tried epsom salt soaks? They helped me a ton, along with the magnesium supps.