Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   You cant even parent in NY without CPS being threatened at every turn... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159054)

MamaGoth 02-13-2011 01:40 PM

You cant even parent in NY without CPS being threatened at every turn...

My husband has aspergers and my daughter is 2 and I have no idea if she is showing signs or what is happening.

She is extremely clumsy. She runs and then trips and bangs her head into things, she is constantly running into baby gates and doors ect. She climbs ontop of stuff like chairs, couches and falls, or squeezes into tight areas and gets hurt.

She repeats words over and over and over again. She will say mommy like 20 times even when asking her what it is she wants. She doesnt take no for an answer either. If I have to say no, you cannot nurse right now, or no you cannot drink soda, ect she will ball up her fists and scream. I have tried putting her in the corner, but as soon as she gets back out she will do the same stuff, or spit or bite.

Sometimes when she gets angry she will purposely hit her head on the wall. My sister saw her do this and was shocked!

One time I tried to get her dressed to leave my other sisters house and go home and the fit she through was something out of the exorcist.

The clinic I go to sucks. It used to be good until the awesome nurse left, and the good dr I was seeing goes on calls a lot. So I am stuck with a craptastic dr. My daughter gets bruises from doing all of the stuff mentioned above and to my face says that we are abusing our daughter, instead of listening to what we say and trying to help us. He said he was calling CPS, so I told him fine, that I had nothing to hide.

A seperate time just a few days ago, he told me that NYS has a new law now and that we have to get our kids vaccinated on time, or he was calling CPS. My 3 month old and my two year old had to get three shots a piece that I def did not want! So what do I do? Tell them No, I dont want so many shots at once and they can call CPS if they please? Because it seems to me that they are taking away my rights as a parent!

So what do I do?
Im thinking of calling early inrervention on my own and getting an eval. and then going to the local DSS to disuss the shot thing. What do you ladies suggest??

Sorry for the rambling, nursing 3 month old a keyboard with tired out hand...

sourpatch_babe 02-13-2011 01:57 PM

Re: You cant even parent in NY without CPS being threatened at every turn...

:hugs: If you think that your daughter has problems then it is much better to call EI and get the ball rolling on that. The shot thing, he was probably bsing you and I would send a complaint to his bosses/medical board for him using scare tactics into forcing you to do something you did not agree to do. That is very very wrong on so many levels. The Hubby used to bang his head against the wall/floor when he was little every time he was angry (he even has a mark on his head where the hair does not grow in the spot he used to hit frequently). He says that he was about 2-4 at the time and that nothing anyone did made him stop. It was when he realized that he wasn't getting the attention he wanted and he was causing himself pain that he decided to stop.

I would change clinics or request to only see another doctor right away. What kind of doctor is told of the things that a child is doing and instead of trying to see if the child needs help is threatening the parents?

pumkinsmommy 02-13-2011 02:42 PM

Call EI asap. They will be such a help to you. Also they will help form a documented history of your daughter's behavior. Also, head banging, or other self stimulating behavior, is normal up to the age of 5. Many years ago I was a nanny for a little boy who would bang his head. OMG the goose eggs he had on his forehead all the time were scary. He is now a completely normal college student with no issues. He was treated with medication as a young child for ocd and hasn't had any issues since.

myfrugalfunlife 02-13-2011 04:06 PM

First-you need to get a new doctor! Second-my one dd is the same way with being clumsy; she seriously just walks into walls sometimes! She's four now, and is outgrowing it, but she does seem to be about 6 months 'behind' so we're already planning on holding her back a year for school, even though she's technically ready for kindergarten this fall.

If you're concerned about her behavior though, I'd definitely get her evaluated just so you can start the process if there is an issue.

Oh-my mom has pictures of me banging my head on the floor when I was mad as a toddler, I guess I did it all the time! But no lasting ill effects (I think lol!)

an_aurora 02-13-2011 04:09 PM

There is no such "new law" about vaccines. Switch doctors ASAP :goodvibes:

dragondance 02-13-2011 04:12 PM

:hugs: I'd definitely call Early Intervention for her and switch docs ASAP. Dd was such a klutz she was covered in normal bruises for a year or two and our pedi was fine with it.

MamaGoth 02-13-2011 04:24 PM

I am def calling and complaining and i told the clinic point blank that I was NOT seeing that dr again. If I so much as get told hes the only one on that day, I am leaving! Tomorrow is monday so im calling EI then!

OnAnnaTime 02-13-2011 05:25 PM

Good luck mama! :hugs: my DH has aspergers as well, but so far my kids seem to be neurotypical.

Anna, married to Jeremy (2/06) mama to N (10/07) and E (9/09)

MamaGoth 02-13-2011 05:41 PM

My hubby is also bipolar, and man...somedays I would like to throttle him! :)

I cant wait to get her an eval, and hopefully next year i can get her into a homebase type program. She needs more social interaction, and since I ive in the middle of nowhere, I dont know anyone so she doesnt get much intereraction besides my sisters kids who are 5 and 7.

Pyrodjm 02-13-2011 05:53 PM

So sorry you are going through this. I'm in NYC, there hasn't been any changes in vaccines, but get your ducks in a row so that you can get your exemption before DD goes to school. I have worked in EI on and off for years with children with autism. ASD/Asperger's does seem to have a genetic component. Get DD evaluated ASAP, it's free and easy. If she qualifies she would probably start receiving in you home.

You need to find a new doctors/practice. Why let them continue taking your money and treating you like crap at the same time?!