Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Not happy, can someone advise me? UPDATE (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159848)

JanelleD 02-14-2011 11:51 PM

Not happy, can someone advise me? UPDATE

UPDATE:
I e-mailed the knitter and she is going to fix them for me. She seems to not have a problem doing that and so I'll send them off to her and see what happens.

Thanks!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mamas,
I just recieved some shorties I custom ordered from a mama on HC. She's new, no feedback. She said she's been knitting for a while and she was encouraged by others to sell on HC and so she just started. I was excited to get them in the mail today and the knitting is great, no pooling. However, the measurements are off. I don't dislike confrontation, but I'm just not "in the mood for it", if you know what I mean.

I have yet to try them on my little guy because he's so sick right now, but hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

The biggest discrepancy I notice is the rise. I asked for a 17" and it is 19". Well, the hips are way off too. I wanted 18" and they are hair under 21".

I notice now in her e-mail she mentioned added inches for him to grow for this summer and so that's what she did, even though I didn't respond to that. So, I don't know what to do. My children are very small. My 15 mo. old only weighs 17 pounds and he definately won't beef up by summer. I know most people like to size up, but that doesn't work for us.

Part of me just wants to let it go, have them be big and know that he'll wear them next summer too.

I think she was concerned that they would be too small. I guess they can be more like manpris. I'm already having an "off day" and so I think it's just hitting me hard for some weird reason. I hate wasting money and my dh isn't concerned but of course I feel guilty.

Any opinions?

Thanks mamas!

JeDeeLenae 02-15-2011 12:33 AM

Just talk to her. That is a big difference in measurements. I have skinny kids too and tte longies I knit for Kelli last year still fit perfectly this year as capris. Let her know you appreciate her sizing up, but she over did it. She may have just screwed up on her measurements and thought that was a good way to cover it up. I've screwed up on my measurements before, but anything over an inch is just too much, imo, and I would have ripped it out and started again.

vmomma 02-15-2011 05:57 AM

Re: Not happy, can someone advise me?

If I pay for the yarn and knitting for a custom, then give the knitter measurements, I expect them to be spot on...... if not very close. Buyers pay a ton for custom knitting and I have no problem (and have twice) sent back an item to be re-done. My baby is tiny as well and can't be knit from a sized pattern. That's why I have to get her custom items. If they don't come back with the correct measurements, I send them back. I'm sure she would be more than happy to knit them again. GL

Mommyk8 02-15-2011 06:29 AM

They need to be sent back if they are not the correct size. She needs to re knit and there should not be any additional charge for the knitting since she knit the wrong size.

tomboyknits 02-15-2011 08:18 AM

That's a HUGE difference though - I would definitely at least tell her that they are way too big, and not what you asked for. They really should be re-knit to fit your child.

samsmommy 02-15-2011 08:52 AM

If you are not happy with a custom you should definately let her know. Customs cost a lot of money and you should definately be happy with the item you pay for.

TeachinAuntie 02-15-2011 08:58 AM

It sounds like maybe she skipped the testing phase. Hopefully she will reknit them for you, without complaint. Maybe she needs to take down her store temporarily & knit for testers & feedback, to build up a base of feedback that others can see.

FWIW-I've only ever been 100% happy with 1 person I've paid for custom knitting. I've been 99% happy with others but only one person ever got my measurements EXACTLY right. And now, I don't do custom anymore...I just buy what I think will work!

Lynne 02-15-2011 10:38 AM

She should ask and get confirmation before sizing up or not knitting to the measurements you gave. If I'm given measurements I ask if the customer wants me to add to that or not. If I need to go up or down a little to get a stitch count just right or to fight pooling then I always go up rather than down, but the difference is still definitely under an inch.

For the rise, I wonder if she wasn't including the waistband in her measurement, but you are? Or she could just not be good at measuring the rise yet--it can be tricky to measure it while on the needles and to know how much your crotch is going to add to the rise.

So I do think you need to talk to her. Even if you don't want a refund or don't want to have her re-knit them, you would be doing her a favor to let her know that you're not satisfied, and why.

hilaryisinked 02-15-2011 10:52 AM

Definitely bring it up...those are big differences in measurements!

yomama 02-15-2011 12:18 PM

I don't think there's any need for confrontation at this point, just let her know how you feel in a nice and friendly but direct manner. She is new and even if you end up liking and keeping the shorts, she depends on your honest feedback to learn for the future.

I would, however, try them on your little guy before, as that can change as what you expect her to do to remedy the situation. I bought a pair of capris for my very petite dd when she was just 9 mo (didn't make it to 20lbs until she was 2) and they were about similar measurements as you described and they were still adorable on her. Best thing, she'll still be wearing them this summer. However, I have other woollies, where measies were just off by an inch and they didn't work at all. So give them a try but let her know how you feel either way!