Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Measuring Small? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160223)

ashliemh 02-15-2011 02:55 PM

Measuring Small?

Hi mamas! I need a bit of help and I thought all you wonderful ladies might have some insight :) My sister is pregnant with #2 and up until her last appt. (today) she has been measuring right on. It has been 5 weeks since her last appt., and her belly has grown 3 weeks worth instead of 5. They told her she is measuring 29 weeks instead of 31. She does think the baby has dropped, so I don't know if that has afftected measurements. The DR is seeing her again in 2 weeks to re-measure, and everything else is good. Just wondering if you all might have some insight/reassurance that I could pass along to her. She googled, and now has herself freaked out! Thanks sooo sooo much!!!

SamanthaSews 02-15-2011 03:01 PM

Well googling is the worst thing you can do, I know from experience. During my pregnancy I measured small once & a week big another time. Those measurements are not exactly accurate. I think a lot has to do with the babies position in the womb. As long as she stays healthy the baby will be healthy. Best wishes!

myfrugalfunlife 02-15-2011 03:09 PM

Re: Measuring Small?

I measured small with all three-resulting in weekly ultra sounds at various points in all three pregnancies. I actually was measuring at 30 weeks the day before I gave birth to my 8lb ds (gave birth one day past my due date) :giggle:

MommaLEB 02-15-2011 03:12 PM

I measured a little small consistently until about 32 weeks when I was measuring so small they did an ultrasound. Everything was fine and by the next appointment I had caught back up. Tell her not to worry until there is something to worry about!

ThreadsThatBind 02-15-2011 04:00 PM

I'm measuring small right now too! The dr was worried last week when I was measuring 3 days small. :headscratch: She ordered an ultrasound, which I had earlier today. The baby is measuring 1.5 weeks small. I'm really not at all concerned. I've read that measuring 2 weeks off in either direction is completely normal.

Is your sister measuring small according to her fundal measurement? Has the same dr been taking them each time or is she in a practice? There are so many things that could effect the measurement. The baby might have changed position, different doc measuring, etc. It's good her doc is keeping an eye on it. But it really could be nothing at all! Hopefully she gets reassuring news at her next apt. :hugs:

ashliemh 02-15-2011 04:00 PM

Thanks so much ladies! I linked her to this thread and I know it has helped already :) You guys are awesome!

divergirldee 02-15-2011 05:15 PM

I measured right on until 22 weeks (then I was measuring 24 weeks), then at 26 weeks I measured 25 (so a little behind, but concerning because I was right on, then ahead, then behind). At 28 weeks and 30 weeks, I was behind still, so my midwife had me go for another U/S to check my amniotic fluid to make sure it wasn't low. Had an U/S at 31 weeks, and everything was fine :) The U/S did predict my due date 6 days later (so baby 6 days behind), but since the U/S's due date calculations aren't exact, my MW wasn't worried. They didn't even change my due date (they won't do that unless it's over or under by like 14 days). So really my MW just wanted to see that all the measurements they did were within the avg range (and they were :) ). I went in for my 32 week appt last week and still measured a bit small, but since the U/S was good and I'm consistently small, no worries :) I think if my growth were to stop completely or not be proportional then there might be cause to worry.

RedheadMom09 02-15-2011 06:51 PM

I measured small starting around 16-18 weeks, but DD was IUGR, so we had a reason. By the time she was born, I was 41 1/2 weeks measuring 34 weeks or something like that. Like several PP have pointed out, it can vary based on who does the measurement, the baby's position, etc., even the position of the mother's uterus makes a difference. If she has a retroverted (tilted) uterus, she'll measure small. She's still within the averages, so I wouldn't worry about it.

anne1140 02-15-2011 07:04 PM

Babies are not all the same size. They are all born at different weights and lengths, so I would think it would be expected that they would vary in the womb, too. A week is not a huge deal at all. I'm measuring a week ahead, and I'm 100% sure of my dates. (I didn't always measure a week ahead either--it's changed over time.) Either I have a bigger than average baby, or the measurement isn't completely right, as ultrasounds become less accurate as time goes on.

I really would not be worried at all, unless it's a consistent decline or a very large difference.

RachelC 02-15-2011 07:14 PM

I am measuring about two weeks small, but my midwife isn't concerned. I was actually measuring large for a while and then tapered off. The baby's position can really affect those measurements, which have never been an exact science -- just a rough estimate of baby's growth. I imagine if the gap becomes much wider, they could do an ultrasound for a more accurate assessment of baby's size. I'm guessing everything is fine though.