Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How off could my due date be on early utrasound? Update in 16. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160629)

mg5g 02-16-2011 09:14 AM

How off could my due date be on early utrasound? Update in 16.

This is baby #4 for me. I am supposed to be 32 1/2 weeks pregnant. I've been telling my family Dr that I think I am further along then that for a few months already. DH and I guessed I was about 2 weeks further based on the size of the baby and how I am feeling. (Like I wasn't even in the second tri-mester yet but already feeling like I was AND measuring a month ahead!)

I was sent to the local maternity clinic at 28 weeks for them to take over my care. THEN last weeks I changed Dr's again because of an issues with the first clininc not listening to me.

WELL my new Dr wanted to know the date of my last mp. I told her my due date was based on an early ultrasound because I was nursing. I was already a couple months pregnant before I knew I was. She calculated my due date to get a LMP date for her charts. SHE was the first person who told me when they thought my LMP was. July 1st. I KNOW for sure I didn't have a period on July first! (That's a Canada day and I was camping for the weekend) I know even though my cycle was very irregular at the time that I FOR SURE had a period around the middle of June. (on another camping trip).

None of this would really matter BUT my kids are all born early. If the hospital doesn't *think* I am 37 weeks they won't deliver me and will send me to another hospital with a NICU. They may even try to stop my labour!!! AAAKKKK. If I have this baby between 37 and 38 weeks they will *think* she is only 35 or 36 weeks and I will have to be sent away!!! I've been in pre-term labour for a few days. I don't think I am going to make it much more then 3 more weeks which in my mind would make her 37 weeks (I've had a 37 and 0 baby before.)

I can't get in to see the Dr for a few days but I was wondering if the early ultrasound could BE that far off? I've never had a due date changed before so I have no idea if they will even do it.

Kiliki 02-16-2011 09:28 AM

Re: How off could my due date be based on early utrasound? I know it's wrong.

Ugh that sounds really furstrating. And actually a little scary since they won't listen to you. It's too bad you're already so far along and fighting this battle, b/c it means you only have a little time left to fix it!

I guess if I were in your shoes, I just wouldn't take no for an answer. I'd keep talking to whoever would listen to tell them your EDD is wrong. Talk to your doctor over and over and tell her your concerns - everything you posted here. That you KNOW you didn't have your period on July 1st. (It seems really weird to me that she would estimate when your period was.... ???) that you are CERTAIN you had it in the middle of July. I can't imagine her ignoring you - how could she know when your period was?

I think if worst comes to worst, you could always try to wait until the last possible minute to go to the hospital, so that they can't try to stop your labor or transfer you. Or, if you are comfortable, just deliver at home and then call emergency services to transfer you. Or, just be prepared for the fight you may have on your hands. I supposed those are your only options if you can't get anyone to listen to you.

I'm so sorry you care going through this. :hugs:

mg5g 02-16-2011 10:24 AM

Ahhh Thanks Mama :)

I believe the new clinic will be better. Again my family Dr just sort of laughed when I said I think I'm further along. We have that kind of realtionship though. So I kept quiet because maybe it is just wishful thinking that I am further BUT when the new Dr gave me the dates it took me some time to process but I KNOW they aren't right. Now suddenly it makes sense why I feel further along - I probably am.

I guess I just need to wait until I see them and see what (if anything) they will do. I am already one of those people voted by my Dr to give birth in the car since my last went SO fast. I suppose I could just show up and see what they do.

CDNMommyofmany 02-16-2011 10:35 AM

I think even if your early ultrasound showed a different date (based on LMP or otherwise), any ultrsounds you've had since then would be up to date and considered accurate. Even if your doctor put a different date on the chart thinking July 1 was your LMP, obviously you've been given a due date and your appts have been based on how far along you really are. As long as your ultrsounds show your accurate gestational age, you shouldn't have problems at the hospital. I had a similar problem with my 4th baby, when I switched from my family doc to the OB, they put May 4 as my due date instead of May 24 which made it look like I was 3 weeks further along than I really was...

klevmomma 02-16-2011 10:57 AM

I'm trying to understand your situation correctly.

Because you were nursing, you weren't sure how far along you were, thus the u/s to date the pg. You know your LMP was mid-June. But, based on your due date from the u/s, your dr. estimated that your LMP would have been July 1. Is that all correct?

So, since we are debating about 2 weeks of gestation here, it sounds to me like based on your REAL LMP, if you O'd on CD14, you would be two weeks ahead of your due date. But, if you O'd on CD28, your due date would be accurate. So, actually, based on your LMP, it could go either way. So my questions are thus:

~How long are / were your cycles while BFing? Were you having regular 28 day cycles? (If so, more likely to be 2 weeks ahead. If not, more likely due date is accurate.)
~Have you had other u/s or just the one early on? (If more than one came out with same / similar EDD, more likely to be accurate. If only one, point is moot.)

Personally, I think it is pretty unlikely that an early u/s would be off by 2 weeks. A 37 weeker is still reasonably early and might need some extra help. And if your 37 weeker is actually a 35 weeker, I would personally think it better to be safe than sorry and be in a facility where extra help is available. However, since there is some uncertainty, I would not let them give me terbutaline or anything like that to stop the labor (which I don't think is really standard at 35 weeks anyway, but I'm not sure?).

GL, mama. BFing makes it so much more difficult with dates, and it is so frustrating where there is so much riding on it. FXed you get to 37 official weeks (maybe 39 real weeks) and it won't even be an issue for you!

Kiliki 02-16-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom1mg (Post 12304106)
Ahhh Thanks Mama :)

I believe the new clinic will be better. Again my family Dr just sort of laughed when I said I think I'm further along. We have that kind of realtionship though. So I kept quiet because maybe it is just wishful thinking that I am further BUT when the new Dr gave me the dates it took me some time to process but I KNOW they aren't right. Now suddenly it makes sense why I feel further along - I probably am.

I guess I just need to wait until I see them and see what (if anything) they will do. I am already one of those people voted by my Dr to give birth in the car since my last went SO fast. I suppose I could just show up and see what they do.

Ok... so when you initially mentioned you felt furhter along, your doc had not put your LMP as July 1st, right?

Then after she gave you the info and you went home and thought about it, you realized it couldn't have been July 1st... is that right?

So, my thinking would be, just talk to yor doc with the new info you have.... "Hey, I know you laughed when I first said I thought I was further along, but... I remember I had my period around the middle of June. I remember that b/c I was camping both times and I remember when my period came." (July? can't rememebr your OP)

Seems like it would be cleared up easily enough if you could just explain why you remember when it was.

Also, how many u/s have you had? Usually, I only get one in pg - at 18-22 weeks. The dating ones are only done one time in early pg. and you only get one. Have you gotten any others? What have they said?

And, also another thing - how are you measuring with your fundal height? are you on track?

VeganCupcake 02-16-2011 12:02 PM

An early ultrasound is going to be the most accurate dating u/s, and I think probably also more accurate than fundal height measurement (which can very easily be +/- 2 cm depending on who does the measurement, baby's position, etc.). Babies in very early pregnancy grow and change so much that 2 weeks is just an enormous error in dating.

Like a PP said, LMP is only going to be more accurate if you were the textbook ovulate on or near day 14 of a 28 day cycle.

Kiliki 02-16-2011 01:04 PM

well, I was more thinking that if fundal height AND her dates point to a 2 wk difference,there would be more evidence in her favor for the EDD being off. KWIM? Fundal height is definately not an exact science and shouldn't be solely relied on to date a pregnancy, but I think it can be useful in corroborating with other information.

But, PP is 100% correct that an early u/s is the best (read: most accurate) way to date a pregnancy that you aren't sure of.

Steady101 02-16-2011 01:20 PM

How many weeks were you when they told you your due date based on ultrasound? Early ultrasound before 12 weeks is very accurate, before 8 weeks is even better.

mommy2kaitlyn 02-16-2011 03:27 PM

Yep early u/s's aren't accurate. They can miss whole pregnancies even as late as 13+ weeks! Can you imagine?!?

Some claim they are the most accurate but not in my experience. Mine was 5 days off with DD..and yes I know to the day she was conceived. :)

I would have a heart to heart with your Dr about it and tell her this is when my lmp was, this is what has been going on, and ask for another u/s to see how baby is measuring. Granted this late in the game it could be off to but maybe not as much. DD measured great at her almost 33 week us..measured right on if I remember right.
:hugs: