Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Yeast Diaper Rash that won't go away? - UPDATED AGAIN: The rash is gone (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11612)

Raquelita 06-04-2006 07:19 PM

Yeast Diaper Rash that won't go away? - UPDATED AGAIN: The rash is gone

DS has had a mild yeast diaper rash since he was 3 weeks old (due to the antibiotics i received during labor for Group B Strep). It is just around his anus. We have tried everything under the sun to treat it:

* Lotrimin applied twice daily for a month (prevented it from spreading but didn't heal it)
* Vinegar + Water sprayed on his bum after each diaper change (didn't help it and irritated his skin)
* 10 days of Diflucan (shrank it but it didn't go away)
* Nystatin Cream twice daily for a week (prevented it from spreading but it didn't go away)
* Grapefruit Seed Extract diluted in distilled water sprayed on his bum after every diaper change (doing this now. It got the rash almost gone and now it's back even though we're using it all the time)

Each time the rash will start to go away with the treatment for a day or two, and then it's like the yeast adapts and the treatment stops working. I'm at the end of my rope for what to do. I also bleached his diapers this week in the hopes that this would help and it didn't do anything. We also give him air time after each diaper change to hopefully help the rash go away.

The Diflucan and Lotrimin were even used together and it didn't go away, it is just so persistent. We've even put him in disposables for a day and that didn't help either (and i hate how they smell and hate using them).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Even his Ped didn't have any other suggestions.

mama23boys 06-04-2006 07:27 PM

Re: Yeast Diaper Rash that won't go away???

i'm assuming since you used nystain cream you've visted the doc?? what are his thoughs on it?

if its warm enough outside let him airout for a few min in the sun! wash all diapers/wipes in a cold rinse with TTO and GSE then wash in HOT HOT water add some vinegear to a downy ball adn then do a rinse in cold with TTO and sun dry diapers!

hopefully that kills all the yuckys in your dipes!!

Psychomom 06-04-2006 07:28 PM

Yikes, I don't know what to tell you. When my ds had a bout of a yeast diaper rash, his ped recommended mixing equal parts of Nystatin (we used the ointment), Vaseline (or Aquaphor), and hydrocortisone. It worked for him.

*bugsmama* 06-04-2006 07:33 PM

You should get some baby acidophils from your health food store. You sprinkle it on your nipples right before he feeds. This will help him get some good bacteria in his intestines (similar to eating yogurt). You can also try genitian violet...be prepared though it will stain EVERYTHING it comes into contact with bight purple. You just put the genitian violet on the areas with yeast. Both these treatments hepled me get rid of a case of thrush that I had for close to 4 months. Hopefully your little guy feels better soon.

cowmommy 06-04-2006 07:41 PM

If you BF you might have yeast in your milk and need a diflucan?? other than that :hugs:

aimeemarie 06-04-2006 08:18 PM

I feel for your mama! Up until we switched to cloth dd had yeasty rashes all the time. I always had to be on top of little bumps when I saw them---we used Clotrimazole.

Raquelita 06-04-2006 08:56 PM

Thank you for all of the advice!

I forgot to add that i use GSE, vinegar, and TTO in the wash with his dipes and both wash and dry on hot (or in the sun).

I was on Diflucan for a month, just stopped two days ago (for what i thought was thrush but now realize was normal letdown pain).

We've been to the dr. After none of what i listed cleared it up she suggested allergies might be contributing to it.

Clomitrazole is what Lotrimin is and it didn't help much.

If the GSE doesn't take care of it i think i will try gentian violet.

bfoster2000 06-04-2006 11:18 PM

Silk liners? Silk is supposed to have healing properties and be good for yeast (well, actually good for the sufferer...bad for the yeast!) Janet from Ama'z Padz (mama cloth) told me that she has been researching it because she's going to try making some mama pads, panty liners, and nursing pads with silk for people prone to yeast infections but she read that it has to be raw silk. Maybe someone on here will have more info or you can try searching the net.

Good luck!

SheilaJoy 06-04-2006 11:21 PM

I didn't read all the responses, but I've seen people suggest yogurt a lot for yeast rashes. I'm not sure if you're supposed to actually rub it on the skin or eat it though. :blush:

dmoselle20 06-05-2006 01:49 AM

Oh I have to put my 2 cents in on this one. I went through the exact same thing with Ashton, my first DS, and the ONLY thing that worked was Gentian Violet... I know its messy but it will heal that rash/yeast in NO TIME!!! I swear by it... with this baby I had terrible yeast on my breasts and Memphis had it in his mouth, and the ONLY thing that worked was the Gentian Violet. What I recommend.. is to use some cheap prefolds while your treating the yeast cause they are going to turn purple.. and use it for a few days. It shouldnt take much more time then that. Its the best stuff for this kind of problem!! Oh and one more thing, I had a friend that was on her way to the ER with her baby that had a terrible yeast, and someone recommended GV to her so she went out and got it, it cleared that rash up so fast. She never had to take her baby to any doctors cause the GV did the job! So there is my passionate babble on GV.. keep us posted on what you decide to do!! Good luck!