Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Elective 3d/4d ultrasounds (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164179)

OneFishTwoFish 02-22-2011 11:38 AM

Elective 3d/4d ultrasounds

Did you do one? Was it worth it? I didn't get to do one with my first son and since this will be our last baby I kind of want to. But for a decent package, the places I've found around here (all about an hour or so away) are about $170-180. That gives you 20-30 min session. Pics printed and on CD and a DVD of the session.

I just can't decide so I'd love your opinions if you did it or not!

OrangeBananas 02-22-2011 12:33 PM

Re: Elective 3d/4d ultrasounds

I have never done one before, but I am seriously thinking about getting one done with this baby.

jackyl08 02-22-2011 01:25 PM

I have not, but if I can't find out the sex at my anatomy scan, I will go somewhere to get one.

staceyroo77 02-22-2011 01:28 PM

I've never done one. I have GD w/ this pregnancy and had it with the previous two pregnancies. Since I have GD, I automatically get tons of u/s, and they sometimes switch over to the 3d/4d u/s and print me a profile pic. With the cost of GD, there's not really extra money for an elective u/s.

eaglewife126 02-22-2011 01:36 PM

i am having one next month. we tried to have one with dd, but my placenta was in an awkward position, so they weren't able to see, her. :( i am really hoping we don't have the same problem this time. fortunately, i am able to have it done at my dr's office, and if they are unable to get good pictures and dvd for you, then you get your $ back...and it's only $110.

OneFishTwoFish 02-22-2011 01:48 PM

Eaglewife - Where was your placenta that they couldn't see anything? I do have an anterior placenta, but there was no problem at the anatomy scan last week.

That is great that you can have it done at your doctor's office!

DH thinks I should do what I want since it's our last baby. His work schedule is all over the place so I am considering asking some of the women in my family to join me and make a lunch date out of it. Who knows.

regenolds 02-22-2011 02:02 PM

I was about to get one with my 3rd baby but my husband was doing a job at a clinic that day,(he's a locksmith) and rode the elevator with an OB. He asked her opinion on them since we were still leery of it and she just happened to be giving a lecture on the dangers of elective, non medical ultrasounds that evening. She asked him to please reconsider. And he did. I was bummed but decided it wasn't worth it to risk anything. Maybe things have changed since then in 2006 but if its not a medical facility that is doing it make sure to research the safety of it:)

OneFishTwoFish 02-22-2011 02:40 PM

What's not safe about it?

Greenbabybottoms 02-22-2011 03:11 PM

We avoid unnecessary ultrasounds too. I think an ultrasound is a great non invasive diagnostic tool but I don't think they should be done just for fun.

aliciamarie632 02-22-2011 04:27 PM

We just had our 3rd one done (we've done one for each child). I was told there is absolutely no safety issues and that it's basically the same lack of risk as having a regular one done at the dr. I think it was definately worth it! The place we go is really nice and has plenty of seating room so we're able to bring grandparents and aunts/uncles along and everyone can have that special moment of seeing the baby where normally there isn't room at the hospital ultrasound. I also love that my kids will have the dvd to see when they get older. Most places also offer if you cant get good shots for you to come back again free (we had to do this with our second son because he had his face covered and wouldn't move). It's cute to see them yawning, drinking fluid, stretching, etc. Also-on the placenta-mine was anterior with DS1 and they didn't have any problems getting pictures.