Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165096)

AcrossTheUniverse 02-23-2011 04:34 PM

When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

If you have a LO who drinks Nutramigen or Alimentum, how old were they when you weaned them and what did you wean them to?

DS2 is nearly 8 months old. He has been on Nutramigen since he was 4 months old at the recommendation of his pediatrician due to prematurity, colic, and reflux. She said we would re-evaluate the need for him to be on it at his 9 months checkup, and since that is coming up here in the next month I wanted to get some info so I know what to expect.

Did your LO need Nutramigen/Alimentum past 12 months? If so, were they ever able to transition to milk (dairy, soy)? If they transitioned to another formula before 12 months, what was your sign they were ready and what formula did you try?

Thanks in advance!

mycdsqueaker 02-23-2011 04:38 PM

Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

We did fully Alimentum til 12 months. Then we sloooooowly added regular cows milk to it, starting with 1/4 ounce. Then after a few days we went to 1/2 ounce. It took us quite a while to transition her. I think it was when we got to 3/4 of the bottle was cows milk we made the complete change over.

whirlwindwoman 02-23-2011 04:57 PM

My 27 month old was on Alimentum until 14 months, and then we transitioned to Neocate Jr. He can do Elecare, also, but not as well. He can't tolerate dairy, soy, goat, almond, or rice milk.

KrispiKreme 02-23-2011 08:42 PM

:popcorn: for my 7 month old on Alimentum. I've been very curious about this.

wendow 02-24-2011 12:51 AM

My ds did not tolerate Nutramigen or Alimentum and had to go on Elecare...at 28mos, he is still on Neocate Jr.

So, I don't have specific experience in transitioning a baby from one of those formulas to something else but I do know that unless a baby has a pretty spectacular diet (and not many toddlers do), they either need to be on formula or breast milk until they are 2 years of age if they cannot tolerate cow's milk.

You can keep your ds on the Alimentum...there is no harm in that but maybe gradually decrease the amount he takes and put more solids in his diet. You can put him on soy milk as a cow's milk replacement *if* he tolerates soy. You can trial a bit of cow's milk to see how he does with it...does he eat any dairy currently so that you have some idea if he would tolerate it or not?? You could try goat's milk...but the milk proteins from cow & goat are pretty similar so if your ds does not tolerate cow's milk, he may not tolerate goat's milk.

None of the milk alternatives like rice milk, coconut milk, almond milk, hemp milk, etc really provide all the nutrients that a baby his age needs so I would not transition to any of those at this young age.

Sir Levi's mama 02-24-2011 10:06 AM

my LO is on Neocate, and the nutritionist and i have talked about keeping him on it unitll he is atleast 14 months then try weaning him

AcrossTheUniverse 02-24-2011 11:36 AM

DS2 doesn't eat any solids yet. He is purely formula fed at this point. So, I'm not sure if he would tolerate milk products. My other children would not drink milk of any kind after they weaned from formula, but their pediatrician wasn't concerned as long as they ate yogurt & cheese (which they do). So, I'm not necessarily looking to get him onto a milk after he weans from formula, just as long as he is able to eat other fatty dairy type products. Otherwise I will keep him on formula. I'm more interested in seeing if he could wean from the formula he is on now to maybe a low-lactose or something like that, or if I should just keep going on the hypoallergenic stuff.

MamaBink 02-24-2011 11:38 AM

My oldest was on Alimentum until 7 or 8 months, I think. We put him on it because milk based formula seemed to worsen his reflux and soy based formula constipated him something horrible. We switched him back to regular milk based formula once he was well established on solids.

AcrossTheUniverse 02-24-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaBink (Post 12365806)
My oldest was on Alimentum until 7 or 8 months, I think. We put him on it because milk based formula seemed to worsen his reflux and soy based formula constipated him something horrible. We switched him back to regular milk based formula once he was well established on solids.

Thanks! This is the same for us (milk based made reflux worse, soy based made him constipated). His reflux is well under control now, he is still on meds but never spits up anymore. I plan to start him on solids when he turns 8 months old next week, so maybe once that seems to be going okay I will try a milk based formula. Did you do regular milk based or low lactose?

wendow 02-24-2011 01:06 PM

If his problem is lactose, you could try a lactose-free formula or milk...did you guys ever try that? If you did and it didn't help, then his problem is probably more related to the milk protein itself. I totally agree that if he is eating other fatty dairy, then you do not need a milk. The problem becomes when (like my ds) they do not tolerate any dairy, then you do still have to fill that nutritional gap.

It is all so hard to figure out sometimes! For us, it has involved lots of trial and error and my ds still reacts very strongly to ANY milk proteins. I tend to think that the babies who do tolerate Nutramigen and Alimentum type formulas outgrow their milk intolerances far sooner than the ones like mine who need an amino-acid based formula.