Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trouble with BF with previous kids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165106)

pacey 02-23-2011 04:00 PM

Trouble with BF with previous kids

Hi mamas

I am due with baby #3 in May, and I am bound to give nursing another go and succeed.

With my daughter she was born at 36 weeks, She didnt latch well, and I wasnt producing enough to keep her on once she finally get latch, we used a nipple sheild as well. I ended up pumping until she was 5 weeks, then got super sick and was put in hospital and our nursing days were done. I took fenugreek and blessed thistle and was also prescripted something too.

With my son he was also born at 36 weeks. He latched awesome, but then my lack of milk turned him off, he would nurse both sides then take a bottle of formula, and then I would pump. Finally after a month of that he just wouldnt latch and took the bottle. I too took fenugreek and blessed thistle and the rx to boost my supply.

After 3 months DS would refuse the bottle and I tried him at the breast again. I had very small amounts of milk left. He latched and nursed for what I thought was comfort. However I researched and contacted a LLC and successfully relactated for him, and that lasted until he was 6 months.

This time I am starting to leak, and my nipples are so sore (almost like I have started nursing a newborn again) this has never happened before, This time I also bought the medela pump in style and am not giving up. This baby will BF. I would love to not have to mix formula, and the cost of it is just not something I want to deal with.

So my questions are. Is there anything I can do now to increase milk supply? I know I cant start using the pump because it could start labor. I want to do everything I can to succeed this time.

Any suggestions are welcome. :)

aaiya 02-23-2011 08:48 PM

Re: Trouble with BF with previous kids

I really liked listening to the hypnobabies breastfeeding success CD. That's what I'd do to get prepped mentally since I don't think there's a whole lot you can do physically. Also, read, read, read so that if you get any bad breastfeeding advice (that would sabotage or undermine your efforts), you have the knowledge and wherewithal to refute it.

Yay for you for being so determined to make it work! My first breastfeeding experience with baby #1 was only a partial success (nursed/bottlefed formula supplement/pumped every feeding til he was 7 months and I was sick to death of pumping...totally weaned from the breast by 9 months) so I'm thrilled to be going 6 months strong EBF baby #2.

Good luck!

Michelle_M 02-24-2011 12:31 PM

My two pieces of advice that I ALWAYS give are ...
1. Find your local La Leche League meeting and attend. The leaders are very well trained and my experience has been nothing but positive.

2. Seek out an IBLC Lactation Consultant.

Studies have suggested that eating one serving of soy a day and one serving of oatmeal a day have both stimulated milk production. Drink lots of water. Take your prenatal vitamins. CONTINUE to take your pre-natals after you give birth and for the whole of your nursing relationship.

Lactate Support is a great suppliment that helped me greatly when I was having supply issues. I had to take a double dose, but it worked awesome for me. It has 4 or 5 differnet herbs in it that stimulate breast milk production. There is also Mother's Milk Tea.

If natural suppliments don't do any good, then you can look into prescriptions to help.

Wishing you the best of luck mama!

God bless!

livn4him 02-24-2011 07:54 PM

I have had some supply issues in the past, but what I will tell you is soo important. AVOID bottles like the plague! If there is a real need for any amount of supplimentation, I would advise using a sns system. I found out the hard way with my first that bottles can seriously sabatoge breastfeeding efforts even in the most dedicated of women. Be encouraged and trust your body. And remember that even a baby who has taken enough at the breast will often still take a full bottle and it is not a good measure of what you have. Good luck, you can do it! Anyone who can successsfully relactate should be able to breastfeed from the beginning.

theprofessionalbaby 02-25-2011 02:38 PM

The advice above is excellent! It truly is! Also, even though you had rough experiences in the past, it doesn't mean this one will be rough too. I can't stress enough the reading part, and the seeking support. I struggled with months with my first, but it paid off. You are determined, and that is awesome!!! Education, and support from trained llc consultants are amazing! I found oatmeal helped my supply while I nursed in my pregnancy. Read this for more encouragement. Don't even keep formula in the house if you can. Good luck! You will do great!

livn4him 02-27-2011 10:46 AM

I just wanted to add that you can't trust your pump as any sort of measure of supply. The pump only measures what you can pump and not what your baby can get. It may ver very helpful for you to go to this website before baby is born, I found it very very helpful and informative. drjacknewman.com

mkekaty 02-27-2011 04:20 PM

I had to take motillium/domperidone with my first two babies....but this time my body is making milk!! I have NO CLUE why, but I am grateful!

Good luck!

pacey 03-08-2011 10:54 AM

thanks ladies for your advice.

My good friend is a lacation support person, and I do have a ton of friend support.

My family not so much, but I am not letting them get in my way.

kurTara 07-24-2011 02:16 PM

Glad to hear you have good support and keep believing in yourself! You can do it! I would also recommend the jack newman site and also a book called Making More Milk. It helped me understand what I could do before baby and what the likely cause was for why I struggled the first time. Good LUCK!

vintagegyrl 07-25-2011 07:08 PM

Sounds like your body knows what to do! confidence plays a role, too!

GL!