Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   what is a good day absorbency? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165952)

JKTexas 02-25-2011 12:29 AM

what is a good day absorbency?

I'm looking at some custom bamboo french terry inserts that are lined with bamboo velour. They are 3x3x3(2 lyrs french terry and 1 lyr velour) and 9 total layers when trifolded. Do you think this would be super absorbent for daytime? Even for a heavy wetter? I can also have 3x5x3 inserts made that are the same but with 2 more layers of bamboo french terry in the center panel for 11 total layers trifolded. Is this even necessary for day time? They have 4 lyr french terry doublers that can be used for naps/outings. I'm only planning on trifolding with these inserts. What would you go with?

I was also curious if bamboo velour is a fabric that "catches" runny poo? Maybe it will help it not run off the insert lol.

faiths13 02-25-2011 01:04 AM

Re: what is a good day absorbency?

well for a heavy wetter you can almost never have too much. i had some sbish fitteds that are, i believe, 8 or 9 layers without the extra doubler. they were amazingly absorbent, but they are a fitted so there is more absorbency. i was thinking about bamboo inserts also, and was thinking at least 6-8 layers for day. the softbums bamboo pods are 8 layers (and remember bamboo velour isnt very absorbent - its the fleece and french terry that will be absorbent). i tried the pods for about 3 hours (which is the longest ive had him in a diaper except overnight because he's such a heavy wetter) and the pod was soaked - but wasnt going to leak yet. so it depends on really how heavy of a wetter your dc is and how long you want to go between changes. bamboo velour will be a little catchy for the runny poo, yes.

JKTexas 02-25-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faiths13 (Post 12371818)
well for a heavy wetter you can almost never have too much. i had some sbish fitteds that are, i believe, 8 or 9 layers without the extra doubler. they were amazingly absorbent, but they are a fitted so there is more absorbency. i was thinking about bamboo inserts also, and was thinking at least 6-8 layers for day. the softbums bamboo pods are 8 layers (and remember bamboo velour isnt very absorbent - its the fleece and french terry that will be absorbent). i tried the pods for about 3 hours (which is the longest ive had him in a diaper except overnight because he's such a heavy wetter) and the pod was soaked - but wasnt going to leak yet. so it depends on really how heavy of a wetter your dc is and how long you want to go between changes. bamboo velour will be a little catchy for the runny poo, yes.

So would go with the 11 layer insert? It has 8 lyrs french terry and 3 lyrs velour. The other inserts just has 6 lyrs french terry and 3 layers velour. Or the 9 lyr insert with the 4 lyr french terry doubler? What kind of bamboo are the softbum pods made from?

faiths13 02-25-2011 12:16 PM

softbums pods are made with bamboo fleece, topped with bamboo velour. bamboo fleece is very absorbent. i would go with anywhere between 6-8 layers of the absorbent bamboo, depending on how heavy of a wetter your dc is. is this for a baby on the way?

JKTexas 02-25-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faiths13 (Post 12374687)
softbums pods are made with bamboo fleece, topped with bamboo velour. bamboo fleece is very absorbent. i would go with anywhere between 6-8 layers of the absorbent bamboo, depending on how heavy of a wetter your dc is. is this for a baby on the way?

Its for a baby that is only thought of but not conceived yet. We've been trying for a baby and i'm super excited!

I know bamboo french terry isn't as absorbent as bamboo fleece so the 3x3x3 inserts probably wouldn't be as absorbent as the softbums pods only having 6 lyrs of french terry and 3 lyrs velour. Do you think the 3x5x3 inserts would be close in absorbency to the softbum pods? They would be 8 lyrs of french terry and 3 lyrs velour?

faiths13 02-25-2011 10:47 PM

well one thing is that a nb will poop alot and will have to be changed more, so i wouldnt worry about something super absorbent for a nb. plus you dont know if they will be a heavy wetter or not. 6 layers should be fine. hopefully you will get to use them soon : )

JKTexas 02-26-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faiths13 (Post 12379736)
well one thing is that a nb will poop alot and will have to be changed more, so i wouldnt worry about something super absorbent for a nb. plus you dont know if they will be a heavy wetter or not. 6 layers should be fine. hopefully you will get to use them soon : )

Thanks. I hope to use them soon too.
The inserts are os inserts since they can be folded either way to be longer or shorter so they have to be absorbent enough for toddlers too. I can always add a doubler so i'm not real worried. :thumbsup: