Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How long will you/did you wait to take your newborn out? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166775)

Kiliki 02-26-2011 01:21 PM

How long will you/did you wait to take your newborn out?

*** THANKS for all the input ladies! :)

Glad to see I am not the only one who gets out and about with their babies from an early age.

I guess I should have added to my OP that neither of my kids were preeemies or had any issues, and that neither birth had any complications, so I am sure those factors play into things when deciding when to go out with a new baby.

Also when I say we went 'out' with our kids, I mean we went to the store, we went to church, we went out to eat - wherever we wanted, basically. We just resumed what would be normal acitivities for our family.

**** OP:

I'm not a germaphobe by any means.

A nurse in the hospital where I had DD said, after being asked how long new moms should wait to take the baby out ... "Unless you have a tunnel connecting your house to the hospital, your babies will have to go 'out' to get home." Which I thought was humerous and true.

I took DD 'out' really quickly - she was born on a Saturday, she was out and about that Monday.

DS was born on a Thursday and we were 'out' on Sunday.

I can't stand to just stay in the house all cooped up doing nothing for weeks. I don't know how moms stay in for 4 weeks! (which seems standard here).

I'm preparing myself for all sorts of comments after this LO b/c it's a really big deal here apparetnly to take your newborn ANYWHERE until they are 4 wks old... and I just can't do that.

NEWBUTWILLING 02-26-2011 01:33 PM

Re: How long will you/did you wait to take your newborn out?

DD was out a day after she was released from the hospital because she had jaundice. So she left the house pretty quickly after she was born just to the doctors though. I think her first big trip out was to lunch at about 1 1/2 weeks old.

ktarsha 02-26-2011 01:33 PM

I don't remember exactly when we first took either of our boys out; I know it was sooner than 4 weeks, though, because I'm like you, I couldn't stand being cooped up in the house for so long. It might have been that long for me to take them out on my own, because they were both born by c-section and I couldn't carry the car seat easily. I know we were at Chick-fil-A with our second son around a week or so, but didn't take him to church until about 1 month, on the assumption that people there would be more likely to want to pet on him than strangers would.

HLCreations 02-26-2011 01:45 PM

DD's first outing was less than a week. I don't remember the exact day, but I was pretty anxious to go to the photo place to get our pictures developed (ah! The days before digital).

DS1 was 4 days old. My mom was in and I hated our house. It smelled funny and we were in the process of packing up to move when DS was born. So, lunch out was a great excuse to leave the house!

DS2...I can't remember. I couldn't drive and DH had the car so I bet it was when he was about a week old and I had to go to the Dr's to have my staples removed.

VeganCupcake 02-26-2011 01:45 PM

We went on some walks around the neighborhood when DD was a few days old, and visited a couple of friends nearby within a week or so. When she was 13 days old, we went to Costco (that was her first ride in the car).

My SIL convinced me not to take her to church for about 5 weeks because church is apparently quite germy. But I do think the hospital is probably just as germy. I wore her wherever we went, so nobody ever touched her or even got very close to her.

nicole3567 02-26-2011 01:56 PM

24 hrs old for dd#2, within the week for dd #1.

mommy2kaitlyn 02-26-2011 02:06 PM

Well we left the hospital at 48hrs old..well just over that. My mom picked DD and I up on the way home we picked up DD's dad from work which was a restaurant/bar. DD went in to "meet" everyone. Then at 4 days old we needed to make a wal-mart run so since I shouldn't drive unless upto it and it was a bit of a drive my mom and I took DD there. It was Dec 30th. Everyone couldn't get over how tiny she was..I was holding her most of the time. No one touched her but my mom and I.
DD also in that time between went to the hospital up the street and back to one across town to get blood draws to check on jaundice. :)

mich*mommy 02-26-2011 02:15 PM

LOL...24 hours. :) With DD2, she left the hospital to go home, then the next day, I took her grocery shopping.

ktmelody 02-26-2011 02:17 PM

We dont take them out for a while, other than a 3 day check and a 2 week check. All my babies had jaundice (one was hospitalized for it) and we would take them for draws then go home. as far as shopping, and errands, we dont take them out for probably 4-6 weeks. either dh goes shopping or stays home with the baby while I get a few things done.

My Sweet Blessings 02-26-2011 02:17 PM

I have no idea, but it's never been 4 weeks. I'd go bonkers.