Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   what is more telling of impending labor, effacement or dilation? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1172211)

gogokim 03-07-2011 12:20 PM

what is more telling of impending labor, effacement or dilation?

My dil is just about 40 weeks and miserable!!!!!! Her 1st was two weeks overdue and she was induced. She went to the doc today and she is 1cm and 80% effaced. Last week it was 1 cm and 50%. I was trying to cheer her up by telling her that 80% is awesome!!!!!! She has been losing her plug for the past week too in small bits.

My question is which is more telling of the progress of labor? Dilation or effacement? I have not been pregnant in four years so I am a wee bit out of the knowledge loop:blush:

Thanks mamas:goodvibes:

linzbear 03-07-2011 02:43 PM

Re: what is more telling of impending labor, effacement or dilation?

Neither.

You can be hard & closed in the morning, and have a baby that night. There are also women that walk around at 5cm for weeks.

gogokim 03-07-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linzbear (Post 12450600)
Neither.

You can be hard & closed in the morning, and have a baby that night. There are also women that walk around at 5cm for weeks.

I was one of those women:giggle: I am feeling so awful for my dil. I am trying to give BIG words of encouragement.

JeDeeLenae 03-07-2011 02:54 PM

Help her that any change is a sign she's getting closer. I've dilated from 4-10 cm in less than 2 hours, so I wouldn't worry about the dilation, or the effacement being more telling. She wants to hear she's getting closer, just keep telling her that.

gogokim 03-07-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae (Post 12450706)
Help her that any change is a sign she's getting closer. I've dilated from 4-10 cm in less than 2 hours, so I wouldn't worry about the dilation, or the effacement being more telling. She wants to hear she's getting closer, just keep telling her that.

That is EXACTLY what she wants to hear!!!!:giggle: You are so spot on there. She was so frustrated when she called, I thought I was going to cry:blush: I do not miss those last visits of finding out progress at all! I think that was the longest part of the whole pregnancy!!!!!!

miraclebaby 03-07-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Neither.

That was me. 5cm 80% effaced. FOUR weeks later jacob was born at 41 weeks.

cali4niachef 03-07-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Neither.

This.

Scaethach 03-08-2011 08:03 PM

I was not even 1 cm but 100% effaced for a couple weeks. But I had a spontaneous water break and baby came VERY fast after. My friend who was 2 weeks behind me in EDD was dilated to 3 from her first trimester on, by the time I was at 3 I was only 30 minutes away from pushing!!!

smblake 03-08-2011 10:46 PM

my ob always told me that neither really meant labor was imminent, but that the more you efface prior to labor actually starting the quicker your labor is likely to go.

So perhaps remind her how much work her body is getting done now and hopefully labor and delivery will be quick and smooth.

Fishie Kisses 03-08-2011 11:23 PM

For me, neither meant anything. I was <1cm and about 20% effaced with DS1 the day I had him and labor was only 6hrs. With DS2 I was about 2cm and 20% effaced for the last 3 weeks and then my water broke and he also was born 6 hours later