Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   3D ultrasound & gender question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173)

jenmamahen 04-25-2006 12:33 PM

3D ultrasound & gender question

So I've scheduled my u/s for early May and they have a 3D machine, which I'm really excited about, but we don't want to find out the baby's sex. Someone told me that it's much harder to keep the sex a surprise w/ the 3D u/s. Anyone know if this is true? I'm excited to see the baby in 3D, but really don't want the surprise ruined.

DiaperJunction 04-25-2006 01:44 PM

Re: 3D ultrasound & gender question

If the tech/Dr doesn't look you should be fine. Unless of course the baby's goods are RIGHT THERE as soon as they put the probe on your tummy.

deejahd 04-25-2006 08:03 PM

For me they shut the monitor off when it came time for that part. And during the rest of it my DS was cooperatively shy and crossed his legs ;). Anyway, with this one i HAD to know. Good luck trying not to tell be sure that's the first thing you tell them before they start!

GrowingUpMad 04-26-2006 07:17 AM

It kind of depends on how far along you are. Wtih my dd I started having 3D ultrasounds at lik 28 weeks and there was no denying what she was. Sometimes you can't avoid the area because they squirm so much. I had a 3D ultrasound with the baby at 18 weeks and had they not told me what it was I never would've figured it out.

hungrytree 04-26-2006 11:38 AM

I had one at 30 weeks and we already knew what he was, but he showed us several times during the course of that ultrasound :D
I work in medical imaging, so I knew what I was looking at, but I think at 30 weeks it is obvious to anyone, if you do get a genital shot. I could send you a pic if you wanted...
However with the 3d US they have to locate the image they want on the 2d first and then they turn the 3d on. So you should be able to tell them that you don't want to know the gender and they can concentrate on the face and such for you. Like pp said they can always turn the viewing monitor off to take measurments and such.
Seeing that face is amazing!! I hope your US goes really well.

deejahd 04-26-2006 05:57 PM

I forgot to tell you that we did find out 'accidentally' 2 weeks before he was due because he was measuring so big they did another ultrasound and were measuring his arm...and sure enough he was playing with his winkey so there was no denying, he was a boy. So much for not finding out, and that was not even the 3-d one. The best laid plans.

SamanthaKailea 04-26-2006 06:20 PM

as long as the tech doesnt move the thing that way u will be fine or if they do for a measurement or something tell them to warn you to turn your head

CMamma 04-26-2006 06:28 PM

I had a 3D u/s & they told us it was a girl... and we had a boy :) So I dunno if that says anything.

littleways 04-26-2006 07:49 PM

I had a 3d u/s they asked me if I wanted to knwo - when I said no - they just zoomed in more and focused more on the upper body - I hope you really enjoy our 3d u/s!

rimomma 04-26-2006 08:27 PM

I had the 3D done when I was 29 weeks back in 2003. We told them we didn't want to know the sex-and we never saw what the sex was! It was a great experience! Now that I'm preg again we wanted to do the 3D at 29 weeks again-and we can't:( . Both CT & RI don't allow it to be done anymore:mad: .

Have fun!!!!!