Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   What is your plan/schedule/routine to get housework done? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173068)

Ready2Bmommy 03-08-2011 03:51 PM

What is your plan/schedule/routine to get housework done?

I know EVERYTHING never gets done. :giggle: My mom always WOH and I have as well, so I know you can't every keep it all done. BUT...what are some ways you keep caught up?

I have heard someone say they wash a load of clothes in the morning and dry when they go to bed...or something like that.

What are your saving graces?? I need a few ideas to keep better caught up before baby #2 arrives!!

Kriket 03-08-2011 04:52 PM

Re: What is your plan/schedule/routine to get housework done?

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Seriously. I try not to get totally swept under the bus during the week, and the weekends I clean like a mad person and get ready for the coming week.

So I turn into sally housewife on the weekends, and schedules save my bacon.

I have tried setting a load of wash at night, so I can hang it in the morning, but it seems like a lot of the time it rains :/

Also, my DH does more chores than a lot of men, he keeps the living area clean, toys picked up etc, and does dishes, and takes out the trash and recycle.
I do laundry, grocery, cooking, laundry, sweep and tidy the bedrooms/bathrooms and the little stuff like change sheets etc.

mamamaria 03-09-2011 12:51 AM

i work at getting the kids involved. my eldest noticed the first thing i do in the morning even before breakfast was to sweep the floor. by 1.5yrs old he was sweeping with me. he also wanted to vacuum with me. they also help put away their toys, put their dirty clothes in their hamper and help put away their folded clothes. of course their help has the quality of a pre-schooler & toddler:laugh:

Lovinmama3 03-09-2011 08:17 AM

There are the tips that have helped me:
- I get up a little early and get some things done like putting the dishes in the dishwasher that are in the sink from the night before, fold laundry that is in the dryer (throw laundry/diapers in dryer before bed) and get a crockpot meal started.
- DH helps out a lot around the house. He takes trash out, unloads dishwasher, cleans the crockpot (I hate to do it, lol) and usually is the one to give DS a bath while I pick up his toys.
- I don't bother doing a lot during the week. I wait until Sunday and make sure all diapers and work clothes are clean, clean the kitchen and vacuum.

IsaacsMom2009 03-09-2011 09:10 AM

I honestly have no idea how I get it all done :giggle2: I try to do things as I see them. I get DS involved when I'm doing laundry and what not since he enjoys it. Getting him involved really helps because then I don't have to chase him around or have him tugging on me.

amb2j 03-09-2011 10:34 AM

More recently, I just get DH to pick up some of the slack, but some things that have helped me
1) I wake up about 10 minutes early and I throw a load of diapers on a cold prewash and I throw my work clothes in the dryer (to fluff them-Ive learned I can save time by fluffing instead of ironing).
2) Before I leave for work, I set the "delay wash" setting for the diapers so they will be finished washing when I (or DH) get home from work. He or I then hangs diapers when we get home
3) Invest in a crock pot with a "delay setting" and an "easy/busy people's crock pot cook book". This way you will be able to throw everything in before you leave for work, set the delay setting to start at a certain time and dinner will be done when you get home without the worry of burning down the home.
4) Make homemade babyfood in BULK and freeze (I freeze about a month's worth)
5) Invest in as many reusable products as possible-means less errands for you running out to buy things-e.g., mamacloth, family cloth, glass storage jars etc
6) Simplify your diet and life. Ive simplified my work wardrobe to make ironing/picking an outfit less time consuming. Ive adopted a primarily vegan/plant based diet b/c it makes packing my lunch for work so much simpler-I eat a lot of beans and rice for lunch and honestly, I havent tired of it yet.
7) Only worry about the big cleaning on weekends (e.g., floors/bathrooms)
8) Do the little cleaning as you go (e.g, counters and picking up things from the floors)
9) I/DH do at least one load of laundry (in addition to diapers)/day after work. It keeps things caught up and prevents you from having that "laundry day" over the weekend-I prefer to relax on my weekends.
10) Before I pick DS up from daycare, I go home for 15 minutes. In this time, believe it or not, I am able to do a lot because my attention is undivided. I can unload the diswasher, straighen up a bit, finish up dinner (or throw it in the oven), pack DS bottles/food/bags for the next day, and sometimes even get a quick shower so when I pick DS up I can give him undivided attention for the rest of the night.

This has worked well for me so far-especially with DH's help-even better

mamamaria 03-09-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb2j (Post 12465593)
More recently, I just get DH to pick up some of the slack, but some things that have helped me
1) I wake up about 10 minutes early ...
2) Before I leave for work, I set the "delay wash" ...then hangs diapers when we get home
3) Invest in a crock pot with a "delay setting" ...
4) Make homemade babyfood in BULK and freeze...
5) Invest in as many reusable products as possible-...
6) Simplify your diet and life. ...
7) Only worry about the big cleaning on weekends (e.g., floors/bathrooms)
8) Do the little cleaning as you go (e.g, counters and picking up things from the floors)
9) I/DH do at least one load of laundry (in addition to diapers)/day after work. ...
10) Before I pick DS up from daycare, I go home for 15 minutes. ... I can give him undivided attention for the rest of the night.

This has worked well for me so far-especially with DH's help-even better

wow!!! you're superwoman supermama :bowdown: you guys have created a well running family!

keonli 03-09-2011 12:08 PM

I do a little bit daily. DH will do the dishes if the sink is full and he wakes up early enough (no dishwasher here and he works nights while I work days) and he is also in charge of the trash. He cleans the kitty litter daily.

It also gets easier for me because my son is now 3.

I wake up early, shower, get ready for work, start lunch for DH and DS.This means I have to wake up an hour and a half earlier than I usually would.

Immediately after work I will tackle the dishes, if any, sweep (we don't wear shoes in the house), tidy up any toys, and start dinner. I play with DS, have him help put away his toys, and will start on laundry.

As you can imagine, there's a lot of bustling around. DH bathes DS while he gets ready for work himself, and I will iron his uniform and my own clothes for the next day.

I do all this in less than an hour, completely interrupted so I can tend to DS, and save the bigger tasks for the weekend.

kindramay 03-09-2011 02:13 PM

Dishes in the morning, laundry and cleaning on the weekends. DH helps a lot. Mainly from about Wednesday until Saturday, we've learned to ignore the grit.

itzfaith 03-11-2011 07:03 PM

I unload and reload the dishwasher in the morning. I throw a load in the washer. I fluff my work clothes while I shower in the morning. I pack lunches and daycare bag before bed. I leave frozen food in the clean sink so its ready to cook when I get home. My husband makes all the beds in the morning. He takes out the trash and recycling. He put in another load to wash before he goes to work (he leaves after I do). The kids put away their own toys. I pay a lovely lady to help me out with the rest. She comes once every other week and cleans the whole house minus the kids rooms. Basically, I can't handle the bathrooms and kitchen. I work full time, go to school full time, and spend any extra time with my kids.