Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Healthy survival breakfast ideas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117339)

mikkismama 03-21-2007 07:37 PM

Healthy survival breakfast ideas

I've recently switched to an earlier shift and I'm becoming a little too fond of the oatmeal packets and cold cereals. Anyone have any tips on how to make a nice healthy breakfast for me and the kiddo that can fit into my already hectic morning?

Taowensf 03-21-2007 07:56 PM

Re: Healthy survival breakfast ideas

You could make some healthy muffins, waffles, etc. and freeze them, then just pop the waffles in the toaster or take the right number of muffins out of the fridge the night before so they are defrosted. Also, you could make a cheese and egg dish, like quiche, or a "strata" or something else, and freeze it in appropriate portions too. I know some people who do this, but I haven't done it myself. HTH! :)

jpneyra 03-21-2007 07:56 PM

I Love, Love, Love, "Bear Naked" all natural granola with vanilla yogurt. It's quick, easy, yummy, healthy!

mikkismama 03-21-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taowensf (Post 859154)
You could make some healthy muffins, waffles, etc. and freeze them, then just pop the waffles in the toaster or take the right number of muffins out of the fridge the night before so they are defrosted. Also, you could make a cheese and egg dish, like quiche, or a "strata" or something else, and freeze it in appropriate portions too. I know some people who do this, but I haven't done it myself. HTH! :)

Hmm. I never thought about freezing muffins. Do they taste ok defrosted? I didn't know you could freeze eggs either. :mrgreen:

Noniegrace 03-21-2007 09:27 PM

We have frozen muffins, when we buy the big pack at Costco. They come out just fine.

Radish4ever 03-23-2007 10:04 AM

I do the cook ahead and freeze idea for DH! I make all sorts of things - French Toast is really easy to make and if you freeze it, you just have to reheat for a few mins and it's ready to eat! Sometimes, I will also make french toast "sandwiches" for DH by also sticking some precooked sausage patties in there so he can have a breakfast sandwich.

Another easy idea is to make your own "mcmuffins" or stuffed bagels!
I just take the English muffin, bagel, or biscuit, top one half with some cheese, precooked sausage, precooked bacon, or whatever else DH would like and then top with the other half of the bread. These are EXCELLENT for a busy morning! I just freeze these individually wrapped and DH takes one out every morning to reheat and eat!

What's awesome is that both of these ideas are portable :)

Isabellasmom 03-27-2007 10:00 AM

I make little mini quiches in muffin pans with lowfat crossoints(sorry about the spelling), we use all kinds of veggies(broc, spinach, tomatoes cauliflower, sometimes bacon or sausage) I use less egg, no cream, just milk and some cheese. My dd loves them and so does DH. Or we make the whole quiche too, they are great for lunch as well.

pingumel 03-29-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpneyra (Post 859157)
I Love, Love, Love, "Bear Naked" all natural granola with vanilla yogurt. It's quick, easy, yummy, healthy!

weird, i eat exactly the same thing!
i started out with the "bear naked" granolas, but recently i've been grooving on the trader joe's granola.
i also add berries if they're in season.