Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Homemade Playdough (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173656)

WhiteRockMom 03-09-2011 02:45 PM

Homemade Playdough

DD LOVES playdoh but it dries up SO quickly. I think it will be less expensive if I make it. I made it once before, however, I didnt like the texture and that it left salt all over the place and mostly on my hands :yuck:

I am hoping to make something with a texture similar to Mary's Softdough... does anyone have a recipe? I like the traditional 'cooked' playdough with flour, salt, and cream of tartar but am open to all suggestions!

TIA!

angelika13 03-09-2011 08:44 PM

Re: Homemade Playdough

I make ours the cooked way, with flour, salt and cream of tartar. I also add food coloring. I have not had any problems with it drying out. We really like the texture.

http://mommyfootprint.com/the-perfec...-dough-recipe/

Geckmumto3 03-09-2011 09:01 PM

This is the recipe I use:

Mix in a big pan:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 cups water
2 Tbsp oil

Cook over medium heat, turning it over in the pan as it sets.

You can add vanilla or other extracts for scent and colour (food colouring, KoolAid, Wilton cake decorator colours make GREAT playdough colours).

Knead on the countertop for a bit and you're good to go. Store it in an airtight container.

mama_to_DJM 03-09-2011 11:52 PM

Here's another one (I just made this today):

-Mix together in a large bowl: (I use my KitchenAid)
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup oil
Food coloring

-Then add:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt

Mix well. I then kneaded it on the counter for a little bit, and had to add more flour, because it was still a little sticky. This is actually half of the original version, but it was enough for my 3. I keep it in a ziploc bag, and it keeps for a little while (not sure how long though- I'm going to try paying attention this time).

sunshinejessica 03-10-2011 05:55 PM

Does anyone have a problem with the color bleeding onto your counters/tabletops/hands, etc.?? I make the cooked version and we LOVE the texture and feel of it, it's awesome! The only thing I don't love is how the color seems to stain my white tabletop and light-colored counters and the kids' hands. I've tried regular food coloring and also Wilton cake coloring.

Geckmumto3 03-11-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshinejessica (Post 12478325)
Does anyone have a problem with the color bleeding onto your counters/tabletops/hands, etc.?? I make the cooked version and we LOVE the texture and feel of it, it's awesome! The only thing I don't love is how the color seems to stain my white tabletop and light-colored counters and the kids' hands. I've tried regular food coloring and also Wilton cake coloring.

I use the Wilton colours almost every time and I have never had that problem. :headscratch: When do you put the colour in? I mix it into the mixture while it is wet in the pan.

wifecat 03-12-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshinejessica (Post 12478325)

I use the Ateco gel food coloring and haven't had that problem (and the colors are REALLY vibrant!).

zonapellucida 03-12-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 (Post 12470966)
This is the recipe I use:

Mix in a big pan:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 cups water
2 Tbsp oil

Cook over medium heat, turning it over in the pan as it sets.

You can add vanilla or other extracts for scent and colour (food colouring, KoolAid, Wilton cake decorator colours make GREAT playdough colours).

Knead on the countertop for a bit and you're good to go. Store it in an airtight container.

this is my favorite!:thumbsup:

zandj 03-12-2011 04:53 PM

anyone else have issues with theirs turning to sludge overnight in the container? seriously gooey

Mags462 03-12-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zandj (Post 12492159)
anyone else have issues with theirs turning to sludge overnight in the container? seriously gooey

Really? Do you turn it out and kneed it once "cooked"? I just cannot imagine it breaking down :headscratch: