Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts? update 1st post (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1174250)

My Sweet Blessings 03-10-2011 01:27 PM

Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts? update 1st post

Ok, here is the thing. I have this child that is going to be born in 12 days or less. DH and I have been going round and round with names... there are very few we like or can even live with. :banghead: We've pretty much come down to 2 names. Eric and Kevin. We have not even THOUGHT of a middle name, yet. He likes both names. I much prefer Kevin over Eric, but that presents a special situation. Our nephew is named Evan. Kevin and Evan rhyme. We talked to DH's sister the other day to get her thoughts on it because Evan is her child. She has ZERO problems with us using Kevin. She was like, "You can even name him Evan and it won't bother me!" I just keep thinking about someone calling out for one of the boys and there will be that whole confusion of "did you say Evan or Kevin?" So, anyway... is it strange to name the child Kevin when his cousin is Evan? too close? not a big deal? what? :banghead:

UPDATE..
we named him Kevin :wink: I still wasn't convinced even up until telling the birth certificate lady the name the morning we checked out of the hospital. I stalled and stalled trying to figure it out. DH and the older kids were really pulling for Kevin and since I didn't have an alternative, Kevin it is! It's growing on me.

bigmamakelsey 03-10-2011 01:32 PM

Re: Naming baby a similar name as cousin.. thoughts?

We might be in the same situation if we have another boy. We had had the name Rowan picked out for our second son (well IF we have a boy!) for a long time, and my brother and SIL named their baby Roman so our name is kinda out :( I was bummed. With kevin and evan though, I think they're different enough. If you love the name, just go for it!

jennak 03-10-2011 01:34 PM

I wouldn't even think twice about it.

kp1721 03-10-2011 01:42 PM

I don't think it would cause a problem to use Kevin

Mum2Addison 03-10-2011 01:52 PM

Use it!

stevensmom 03-10-2011 01:54 PM

I would use it.

My neices name is Claire and a name on our list was Clara

Also DS middle name is William and that is what my sister is going to name her son.

eaglewife126 03-10-2011 03:27 PM

for siblings i would say it is too similar...but i think cousins having rhyming names is no biggie..

waited4ever 03-10-2011 03:39 PM

Grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles etc... end up calling children by whatever name they think of first like saying Carrie, Kelly, John, Tom only to be calling Jenny. It is just what happens when there are a few children around so no matter what you name him eventually family will call him by his cousins name. It is not too close and so what if it rhymes.

fergiesgirl86 03-10-2011 04:54 PM

just use it. esp since SIL doesn't care one way or the other and is actually accepting of it. i'm sure that it will work it's way out.

Kriket 03-10-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waited4ever (Post 12477353)
Grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles etc... end up calling children by whatever name they think of first like saying Carrie, Kelly, John, Tom only to be calling Jenny. It is just what happens when there are a few children around so no matter what you name him eventually family will call him by his cousins name. It is not too close and so what if it rhymes.

yeeeepp. My dad always called my sisters or I Bergrachel. or Gerbrace or any combination of Brita Rachel and Grace.

My sons name will be Kelvin, and I would be annoyed if you were my sister naming your son Kevin. THAT'S too close, but rhyming eh, I wouldn't think anything of it.