Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   dairy issues AGAIN:( need encouragement (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1179651)

made4this 03-19-2011 09:10 AM

dairy issues AGAIN:( need encouragement

I think DS3 has developed a sensitivity to cow's milk protein via bm:( I am utterly bummed. DS1 had issues with it from birth (diarrhea, eczema, Copious mucus, gas and evil colic). It took me until he was 5 mo to figure out the problem and I continued to bf but went 100 percent dairy-free until he was weaned at 18 mo. He then drank goat's milk until he outgrew
It at 2 1/2-3 years.

So with DS 2 and DS3 I avoided dairy the last couple of weeks of pregnancy and for as long as practical during the first month in the hopes of preventing
this problem. DS2 was fine and had lovely poops the whole time. I thought DS3 was going to follow suit, but lately he has been developing symptoms. Currently he is on day 5 or 6 of non- stinky diarrhea:( Previously he was only pooping 2 times per week or so.

The prospect of tiptoeing around dairy for the next year (he is 5 mo now)
Is exhausting to me. I don't want to give up bf or make my baby sick, plus I feel like if I was willing to do it for DS1 I should be willing to do it for this little guy too.

If you have stayed with me this long, thank you. I just needed to whine a little and hopefully get some encouragement from any mamas who have been there. I could also use tips, especially favorite dairy-free products/substitutes if you have any. It is going to take a lot for me to get excited about this. TIA.

Marbie 03-19-2011 09:24 AM

:hugs: I'm so sorry he seems to be having dairy issues too! I am in a similar boat, although my babies don't seem to react as much as yours. I announced last night I was going to try going off dairy, so we'll see how it goes.

So how sure are you that it's dairy? Can you go off dairy for a couple if weeks and see if it makes a difference and if it's worth it to you? If you really don't want to go off dairy, what are your other options? Good luck!

krispy79 03-19-2011 10:09 AM

I know the feeling, sigh and hugs. I would do just about anything for a bowl of cereal with milk. Alas, I know the consequences for my baby. Here is what I have done this time around because dd seems to have milk protein allergy like ds did.
I cut out all dairy. But about 3 weeks ago I started eating a yo baby yogurt every other day, until I was able to have one everyday without seeing effects to dd. Yobaby yogurts have the proteins partially broken down. Last week I had a cheese stick twice, probably have another today. Slowly I am introducing the protein into her diet to see how much she can handle. I did this with ds and he could eat dairy by 12m. Milk he was not able to handle until a few months ago, now it mostly makes his poop real hard and he is 27m. He still drinks soy, but I give him milk if we go out to eat and the rest doesn't have soy.

VeganCupcake 03-19-2011 10:23 AM

Re: dairy issues AGAIN:( need encouragement

Hey mama, I'm dairy free by choice, and sometimes it is really hard. I think there's often a mourning period to go through when you make a shift like this because, well, cheese tastes good, and dairy is so much a part of our diets.

My favorite products are unsweetened vanilla almond milk for me, for cereal, baking, and other substitutions. I don't actually drink it straight, but I'm sure it would be fine for that as well. (For toddlers to drink, I'd recommend something like coconut milk or hemp milk for the added nutritional value.)

I also like So Delicious coconut milk yogurt. It's really tasty and my DD likes it, too.

We use Earth Balance spread--there are some varieties that are dairy free and soy free, so just read the labels until you find one that doesn't have any offending ingredients in it.

I haven't found a cheese substitute that I like. :( A lot of times, like on a burrito or something, avocado provides the same kind of mouthfeel as cheese would. This will sound strange, but peanut butter can do the trick, too. I like refried beans with peanut butter on tortillas. :blush: Weird, I know, but tasty.

S4r4h 03-19-2011 12:08 PM

:hugs: I'm having the same problem with my 10 week old daughter. She never got diarrhea but what having blood in her stool and colic. I definitely went through the dairy morning period. :(

Almond milk is wonderful and tastes especially good with Kashi GoLean cereals. I also found that she does fine with butter and small amounts of sour cream.

S4r4h 03-19-2011 12:10 PM

Ugh, MOURNING period. :mrgreen:

Doodlebrainette 03-19-2011 12:26 PM

I am dairy free because I'm allergic to it. I'm allergic to gluten too, so I can only use Blue Bonnet Light margarine or Earth Balance. Daiya vegan cheese is actually fairly nice. I've tried the cheddar and mozzarella shredded varieties and they are about the same flavor. It does melt and makes me think of processed american cheese. I wouldn't put it on a cracker or make a sandwich with it (because of the flavor) but it works well on pizza. I use almond milk for everything. Silk has a chocolate and vanilla flavor, both are really nice.

And I agree with the mourning period. Having had to purge my diet of wheat, rye, barley, oats and dairy, I've struggled my fair share (emotionally and physically). One thing that physically helped me the most was picking up some things that are permissible for my current diet for those days that had unbearable cravings. I didn't care how healthy they were or how much of it I ate. I was just focused on resisting the cravings until they subsided and not feeling so deprived. LOL, I went through a LOT of Ore Ida French fries. :giggle: After the first 2-3 weeks, when I had settled into my diet, I began to work more on being and eating healthy.

made4this 03-19-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marbie (Post 12541517)
:hugs: I'm so sorry he seems to be having dairy issues too! I am in a similar boat, although my babies don't seem to react as much as yours. I announced last night I was going to try going off dairy, so we'll see how it goes.

So how sure are you that it's dairy? Can you go off dairy for a couple if weeks and see if it makes a difference and if it's worth it to you? If you really don't want to go off dairy, what are your other options? Good luck!

At this point it is looking more and more like dairy, but sort of a gradual onset (over a couple of months) of the same symptoms as my other son. I am going to commit to a month-long experiment and see what happens. I found that last time I had to stick with it for 10 days to 2 weeks for his symptoms to clear up. That's why it took so long fo rme to figure it out before: I woudld eliminate it for 2-3 days and his symptoms continued, so I would conclude that dairy wasn't the culprit. At least this time I will know to wait longer. I'm still praying to be proven wrong on this one!

Thank you for the encouragement, ladies. I was tickled to discover today that Taco Bell's fresco tacos (which they didn't have before) are cheese-free. That made me feel a little better:) I will try the other products you all suggested, too. I do mourn and I am a dairy LOVER (homemade yogurt...yum), which is probably part of the reason this happens:(

VeganCupcake 03-19-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyfarm3 (Post 12543476)
Thank you for the encouragement, ladies. I was tickled to discover today that Taco Bell's fresco tacos (which they didn't have before) are cheese-free. That made me feel a little better:) I will try the other products you all suggested, too. I do mourn and I am a dairy LOVER (homemade yogurt...yum), which is probably part of the reason this happens:(

There are lots of recipes for homemade almond milk yogurt and homemade coconut milk yogurt. I have tried to make it before and I am not really very good at making yogurt, so I haven't really ended up with an acceptable end product, but I bet since you know what you're doing already, you could make some great stuff. This is supposed to be a good one: http://kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com...t-milk-yogurt/

MrsAsh 03-19-2011 11:11 PM

Glad to find this thread!! I need the encouragment too! My DS2 was sooo fussy ALL the time, wasn't sleeping and would SCREAM blood-curdling screams, esp at night. A friend recommending going off dairy and now I have a wonderfully happy giggling baby who sleeps about 10 hours strait at night!!!!!!!!!! Unless I eat a slice of cheese on a sandwich or even the smallest amount of cheese, milk, sour cream, etc...

I hadn't even thought about butter being dairy! :blush: Maybe that is his rare flair-up of screaming....

Also pasta and tomatos are on our "no-no" list for the horriable gas he gets. I can't wait for him to be weaned and eat my first Papa John's Pizza in a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D