Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is it OK to feed a newborn BM that is made for a 5 yr old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182168)

BrittBBT 03-23-2011 03:27 PM

Is it OK to feed a newborn BM that is made for a 5 yr old?

If I mama is nursing her 5 yr old and is adopting a newborn, is it OK to nurse the newborn? Meaning, will the breastmilk have enough nutrients for a newborn??:headscratch:

Mama_scoutski 03-23-2011 03:30 PM

Re: Is it OK to feed a newborn BM that is made for a 5 yr old?

i was wondering this also... thinking of adopting when youngest is two.. subbing.

Mobrevic 03-23-2011 03:49 PM

I would think so....my friend got pregnant within 3 wks of having her baby and Dr asked her if she planned on nursing 2 when she was in the end of her pregnancy....he never said it was a bad idea. She did nurse both for about 6 months and they are both fine. i would think he woulda discouraged it if it was not ok.

Nickel+3 03-23-2011 03:52 PM

It might be hard in the beginning because newborns need the colostrum to start off, but I think any BM would be better than none.

nceveritt 03-23-2011 03:58 PM

I think your body will adapt to individual needs. Isn't that the whole concept of breastmilk? Granted, I don't know HOW it would figure that out since you won't be the pregnant one, but like many others have said, any BM is better than none. Your body would naturally pick up supply (I'd think) when you start tandem nursing.
FWIW, I nursed my DD through the end of my pregnancy, DS got colostrum at birth, and then it switched back to mature milk. Our bodies are amazing things!

froggymiamore 03-23-2011 04:01 PM

you might need to supplement for a week or so, just until your body understands this is a newborn, not a child, and the milk needs much more fat it in. not 100% sure on this, but it sounds good. :thumbsup:

Nerissa 03-23-2011 04:02 PM

Why is the 5yr old still nursing is my question- what is the benifit?

CEVmommy 03-24-2011 01:04 PM

I think that once the newborn starts nursing, the frequency of the nursing will increase the milk supply, and that will tell the mother's body to make milk for the newborn with the appropriate fat/protein content. The mother may have to supplement until her supply catches up with demand, but if she knows in advance when the baby will come, she can probably pump to increase supply in advance.

seacat 03-24-2011 01:12 PM

Honestly I would definately ask my ped or naturopath about this. The milk that my body produced for a newborn after I would pump and it would all settle out was about half fat, half milk. If I look at my milk now that DS is a year there is just a small layer of fat across the top and the color is much different as well. I think that nutritionally the milk is very different.

foxynursejo 03-24-2011 01:22 PM

I think the baby would be just fine. it's better for the babe than formula.