Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   New to Alaska (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182264)

Lenae 03-23-2011 06:21 PM

New to Alaska

Hi! Just thought I'd drop in and say hey. I'm new to Alaska, been here three weeks today, and I've been cloth diapering for three days now. We're living in Unalaska, out in the Aleutians. I'm finding shipping to be quite a bit of a hassle out here, since FedEx doesn't even deliver to the island. Ugh. It's cool to find a sub-forum devoted to AK and HI!

Rik-e 03-25-2011 12:38 PM

Re: New to Alaska

HI mama! As a general rule, I never use UPS or fedex. Just regular old post office works the best & the flat rate boxes really cut back on shipping costs most times.
Can I ask where you moved from & why you chose Unalaska? We live in Wasilla area & I grew up mainly in Alaska so it is home to me.
Welcome!

alaskangrown90 04-14-2011 11:27 PM

Hey! I live in Anchorage :) we have some local places that sell dipes here :D

MamaNotes 04-15-2011 12:48 AM

Hi! :) I live in Alaska too!

Foolalex 04-15-2011 05:10 AM

We just moved here (from WA) to Anchorage about 6 months ago! We've thought about going to Unalaska but UAA's nursing program isn't available that far out (yet). We're thinking about maybe moving farther west if my hubby can find a good job. Where are you from OP?

Lenae 04-25-2011 01:12 AM

Sorry it took so long to write back, my computer was broke and all I had for the net was my phone, which does NOT work well up here.

My family moved to Unalaska because my husband got a job here. He's a commercial diver, and he works on the fishing and crabbing boats here. We've both always wanted to live in Alaska, but we were originally planning on moving to the mainland. But when this job opportunity came up, we couldn't pass it by. We hope to be able to move to the Anchorage area in the next 2 or 3 years.

I am originally from Oregon, as is my husband. But not Portland, lol. I have a son who is 3 and potty trained, and a daughter who is 15 months. I just switched to cloth when we moved to the island in March to save money. Diapers (and literally everything else) here are very expensive, so we decided to give cloth a try and see if it works for our family. Turns out, it does! I'm working on building up my stash right now. I don't have very many diapers, so I'm having to wash twice a day, but I have ten more in the mail on their way to me, so I'm very excited for that. Thanks for welcoming me!

FrozenBooty 04-30-2011 11:10 PM

I'm also in wasilla Welcome to Alaska

The cloth diaper store i knew of in anchorage closed but once upon a child is carrying fuzzibunz and crunchy clean plus there is a shop in eagle river that sells some dipes. They also sell dipes made by a local mom in wasilla that are super nice.

If you pm me your address in Unalaska I can ship some goodies out to you I have a Huge stash probably hundreds of diapers and there is definitly stuff I won't use.

Do you have free water/washer/dryer?

Lenae 05-01-2011 09:18 PM

FrozenBooty, I responded to your PM. :thumbsup: I do have free water/washer/dryer. My rent includes utilities, so I don't worry about washing. I didn't give you my address though, so I guess I should send you another PM with it. Again, just, wow. Thank you.

PS, I don't frequently (ever?) get to mainland Alaska. It's super expensive to fly on and off the island, so I'll probably never get to Anchorage or the surrounding area for shopping, but thanks anyways for the info.

ariandsofiesmom 05-07-2011 08:12 PM

I am in Anchorage! Let me know if you need something!

an_aurora 05-07-2011 08:18 PM

I'm in AK too (Mat- Su Valley :))