Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Now that Im here in Honolulu...please share where to go for (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1182298)

ittybittycoconuts 03-23-2011 08:33 PM

Now that Im here in Honolulu...please share where to go for

if theres any hidden shopping gems I need to know about? Good farmers markets or great places to eat? Cheap fun? furniture? Where to go for inexpensive knick knacks and kitchenwares or if theres a $ store(is there one?!) or $1+ store thats good? Health food stores with bulk spices or bins? Any and all suggestions welcome! Im close to Pearl Harbor but will travel!

eahcapemay 03-25-2011 11:34 PM

Re: Now that Im here in Honolulu...please share where to go for

Ross is great for cheap housewares. I live in town so I can only recommend places there.

ittybittycoconuts 03-26-2011 01:09 AM

Places in town are fine! I have to drop dh off at work near the airport if I want a car during the week.

eahcapemay 03-26-2011 03:01 AM

For bin health food stores there Down to Earth on King street. Right next door is the BEST indian restaurant on the island, the Maharani Cafe. Its expensive and only open for dinner, but totally worth it. Up the street is my favorite korean bbq place Gina's. Huge plate lunches for reasonable prices. I also like to get crepes at Le Crepe Cafe on East Manoa rd. For ramen I like Sanoya Rahmen on King st near Mcully. My favorite place for pizza is JJ Dolan on Bethal st in Chinatown. For burgers I like Teddys Better Burgers on Beratina. For sushi theres always Genki.
I don't know how old your LOs are but there are lots of hikes all over the island. If thats something your family would be interested in I could come up with a list for you. Mostly what I do for fun is go have lunch/dinner/drinks with friends and go hiking or to the beach.

ittybittycoconuts 03-26-2011 03:06 PM

Thank you!!! That down to earth place sounds like just whT I've been looking for and we will definately try your favorite places! We have a hike ap on our phones that grades them as far as difficulty. We did the manoa falls so far but I'm sadly out of shape!!! Gotta work on that... Kids are 3 and 8.

HMDocsLady 03-26-2011 08:58 PM

DANG IT! Just typed a long response and then it wouldn't post.

OK we lived on Kam Highway next to the Stadium so most of our regular places are near there:
Best Pizza - Boston Pizza
Best "Diner" - toss up between Big City Diner and Anna Miller's
Down to Earth also has a store on Kam below Pearl Ridge Plaza across from Anna Miller's
Best Thai - toss up - Opal's Truck in Haleiwa or Soulvey on Kam across from Long's/Zippy's
Best Farmers Market - Haleiwa 9a-1p Sunday (eat bruch there!!!!)
Best Shrimp Truck - Macky's in Haleiwa - Ewa side of town next to the traffic circle - get the Coconut Shrimp
Best Burger - hands down Kiawe Grill on Kam near Anna Miller's
Best Thrift Store - Goodwill on Kam
Best Drive In - Toss up - Rainbow Drive In (in town) or Byron's in front of the airport
Best Kine Supermarket - Safeway - use the store card and preload it with coupons from home online - awesome deals!
Best Fish - Nicco's Pier 38
Best Huli Huli Chicken - the place on Nimitz before Flora Dec - only open weekends....
Best Whale Watching - the park in front of the Children's Discovery Center or Makapu'u Lighthouse. (Makapu'u hike is all paved, but steep.) (Children's Discovery Center is small but fun once every other month or so if it is raining out)

Definately check out BabyAwearness in Manoa. Amazing group of people with great connections.
Also check out the Babywearers meetup that happens the 3rd tuesday of the month at the Caitlin Community center. GREAT mama's with tons to share. We used to go every month then I had YDD and her Dr appointments always happened ast the same time as the meet up.

ittybittycoconuts 03-26-2011 09:28 PM

Thanks! I know where well be Sunday morning! Farmers market and shrimp truck.

mama21 03-28-2011 04:14 PM

Wow, I need to subscribe to this thread to get some ideas too!

I was also going to say that the Down to Earth at Pearlridge is closer than the one in town. It's definately not cheap though so I just get a few specialty items there.

Another "restaurant" which I love is the food at Aiea Bowl...yep the bowling ally. It's got the BEST local food! The forty-niner is a tiny little local place too right on Kam hwy on the way to Pearlridge.

If you want to venture to the windward side, I've heard Formaggio's is amazing (in Kailua)! They have great wine too. I will definately be checking this place out once I have this baby. Another place which is really good (not cheap) is Haliewa Joe's. http://www.haleiwajoes.com/ in Kaneohe. It's got great views and great food. There's one on the north shore too which I haven't been to.

Someone else mentioned the shrimp trucks on north shore....I've been to a few and honestly don't know the difference. I love the ginger shrimp myself:giggle:

Siam Kitchen is a good Thai place which is in a shopping/restaurant center on Kam hwy (drive past pearlridge a few blocks). Further up on Kam Hwy is a NICE Thai place called Souvulay http://souvaly.com/ Great food.

I know there are more....can't think of any right now. As far as cheap clothes shopping, there isn't much. I just look for sales or online. Friends have told me to try The Rack (Nordstroms), but haven't made it there yet.

Good luck!

ittybittycoconuts 03-28-2011 04:38 PM

Nordstoms rack was a favorite of mine so thats exciting! I drive past Aiea bowl every time I leave the house so we will check that out!

We stumbled across a free parking lot behind the hilton lagoon yesterday. Any other "local knowlege" we may need?

I really am appreciating you ladies!

graces-mommie 03-30-2011 10:15 PM

Hi everyone! We are on our way to kaneohe in may and I am getting nervous about our huge move, but SO EXCITED too! We were lucky enough to spend two weeks in Waikiki last summer so I have a little bit of an expectation, but all of these suggestions are new to me and I can not wait to check them out!!

We were in walking distance of the Ala Moana and then I drove to Savers one day, but that was the extent of my shopping! I'm excited to try the local restaurants. Our favorite (again within walking distance of our hotel!) was the yard house for their half off appetizers during happy hour. they were as delicious as a full meal!

CAn't wait to add in my own finds! :)