Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ughhhhh, breast infection, can I whine!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1183107)

lauren420 03-25-2011 06:41 AM

Ughhhhh, breast infection, can I whine!!

I am sooooooo SORE!!!! My boob feels like its been beaten with a 2x4!!! Its all red, warm to the touch, I am not feeling great either, low grade fever, chills and sweats, this SUCKS, I am going to the clinic today to get some antibiotics, its been over 48hrs and all the stuff I have tried to fix it havn't worked :( Thanks for letting me whine, I feel like poop :cry:

johnsbabymama 03-25-2011 07:35 AM

Re: Ughhhhh, breast infection, can I whine!!

Oh mama! That really sucks! I'm so sorry. I can so relate. I have had SEVERAL breast infections over my breastfeeding years! I feel so bad for you. Just try and get some rest and pump pump pump (and message), or feed that baby like crazy. You will notice you will feel a tad better once the milk comes out, then you will feel crappy once your breasts start to get full again. I really hope you get better soon, once you get the medicine you should be back to your old happy self in a couple days! Gosh that really sinks, makes you feel like you have the flu. Warning!!! Be sure to watch for signs of a staph infection... I have had a breast infection and a staph infection in my breast, they are a little different staph being the worst of course. If the medicine doesn't work within the next couple days, go back to the doctor and talk about a possible staph infection, which you would need a different rX. Good luck! Get some rest!

AnnaG01 03-25-2011 09:24 PM

*hugs* mama. I have one too...I got one Monday. High fever, chills, and I felt worse than when I had the flu! I am on an antibiotic and I feel much better after day 5. My boob still is sore but not NEARLY as bad or inflamed. I do still have some hard lumps in it...I hope they go away before the 10 days of antibiotic are up.

Oh, take some probiotics so you won't get thrush! Warm compresses also help me too!

Kayla1981 03-26-2011 09:40 PM

I am so sorry! I've never had one but I hear it's miserable. I hope you get some relief very soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaG01 (Post 12589549)
*hugs* mama. I have one too...I got one Monday. High fever, chills, and I felt worse than when I had the flu! I am on an antibiotic and I feel much better after day 5. My boob still is sore but not NEARLY as bad or inflamed. I do still have some hard lumps in it...I hope they go away before the 10 days of antibiotic are up.

Oh, take some probiotics so you won't get thrush! Warm compresses also help me too!

Probiotics are great but I've heard that taking them while on antibiotics just cancels them out. I was told to start them as soon as you are done with the antibiotics. I haven't looked into it but it makes sense.

acwakip 03-27-2011 02:45 AM

Oh, I sure hope you get to feeling better soon! I have had mastitis twice since starting to BF Alexander and I know how horrible it is. :(
I got a lot of relief by taking Motrin (800mg) and taking a hot shower, letting the hot water beat on the infected breast. Take a fine-tooth comb and comb your breast. It is supposed to help work out the clogged duct.
Pump a lot and when you nurse, point your DD's chin toward the clogged area.
Allow yourself to get lots of rest too!

chakakhanchakakhan 03-27-2011 02:51 AM

YOU ARE S TROOPER FOR STICKING IT THROUGH! WE ARE PROUD OF YOU! It hurt me most to start a feeding. Its stung like crazy.
TIPS: towels soaked in arm water 5 min before you think you will be feeding baby. It opens up your ducts and flow is stronger and can help open pores. Also, bottom jaw of baby has most suction pressure. Try to angle yourself(on a bed if you have to) so that bottom of mouth aligns closest to the clog that started it all, or the more clogged up duct area.Nothing can create the pull n suction like baby dearest. Warm the area and let baby suck. Good Luck. I hope it goes away soon. I know its almost as bad as labor pain.

chakakhanchakakhan 03-27-2011 02:51 AM

YOU ARE S TROOPER FOR STICKING IT THROUGH! WE ARE PROUD OF YOU! It hurt me most to start a feeding. Its stung like crazy.
TIPS: towels soaked in arm water 5 min before you think you will be feeding baby. It opens up your ducts and flow is stronger and can help open pores. Also, bottom jaw of baby has most suction pressure. Try to angle yourself(on a bed if you have to) so that bottom of mouth aligns closest to the clog that started it all, or the more clogged up duct area.Nothing can create the pull n suction like baby dearest. Warm the area and let baby suck. Good Luck. I hope it goes away soon. I know its almost as bad as labor pain.

greenMamaOwl 03-27-2011 08:06 AM

I'm so sorry, Mama! Sadly, we stopped BFing...it just wasn't working out at all. :( If it makes you feel any better (prob not!) but I was sent to the ER with an infection in my left breast about a month ago. I had fever of 104.5, chills, vomitting, pretty much all flu-like symptoms. Go get those antibiotics, and I hope you feel better very soon! :hugs:

lauren420 03-27-2011 05:35 PM

Thanks mamas!! I am feeling MUCH better now, the antibiotics celared me up in about 48hrs, and abby is still nursing great~

Veg's Dragonflies 03-31-2011 02:32 PM

OUCH!!! been there, done that. (Only twice though) Antibiotics are so bad for you and your baby. I got rid of my breast infection by sleeping and nursing nonstop nursing and eating raw garlic for about 24 hours. I was as good as new that quick.
Good luck!!!