Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Western Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Tell me about Grande Prairie, Alberta (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1184433)

lilbugsmomma 03-27-2011 03:08 PM

Tell me about Grande Prairie, Alberta

My husband I are considering moving there. I've done a fair bit of research and we did just spend a couple days there. So I'm just wondering what it's like to raise a family there? We have a 13 month old and are hoping for more soon. Are there lots of playgroups, things to do? I've heard you have to pay for water? Is it pretty pricey with washing diapers? How is the cost of living? Groceries, heating, etc. I'm in Northern BC, so the price of everything is ridiculous!! How is the health care? Is it pretty easy to find a good Doctor? Hmmm I'm sure I had more questions, but can't think of them right now. So just tell me everything you think I would need to know!!! Just please don't overload me with all the negative...I know that every place has it's good and it's bad!

mom22sofar 03-27-2011 03:54 PM

Re: Tell me about Grande Prairie, Alberta

I haven't lived there, but we looked at it about a year ago (my dh was asked about transferring there, but then got sent somewhere else). Other than the distance north (we are from Calgary) we thought it looked like a good place to raise a family. One of his colleagues was transferred there and have been there just over a year, I saw them recently and she said they were really enjoying it. they have four kids and she said the kids are really liking it and the year has flown by. It sounded like a positive move for their family. There is a cloth diaper store there, and it has a facebook page-pm me if you want me to send you the info on it. As for health care, it would be the same as elsewhere in Canada (universality is one of the covenants of the Health Act), but it is a decent sized town so i imagine most ammenities are available (beyond the really specialized stuff).

lilbugsmomma 03-28-2011 10:19 PM

Thanks for the info!! No GP moms out there with info???

cartersmom2010 10-29-2011 11:41 AM

I know i'm late posting but I live in Grande Prairie Alberta and I don't mind it at all. I have one 14 month old and its a good place to raise a family. I do wish a bigger city was closer (edmonton 4 hours) but in all not a bad place at all.

DillyDay 10-29-2011 02:25 PM

born and raised there for the first 20 years of my life!

it's a good small town to live in.. okay.. so not so small anymore. lots of playgrounds for kids. good schools.

From what my mother tells me (she still lives there) it is NOT easy to find a doctor (my old family doc is retiring soon, booo!), and peditricians up there, you can get into by referral ONLY.

Groceries prices seem okay to me! and i live in edmonton now. Bonus side! no more PST for you!

lilbugsmomma 11-07-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartersmom2010 (Post 14027408)
I know i'm late posting but I live in Grande Prairie Alberta and I don't mind it at all. I have one 14 month old and its a good place to raise a family. I do wish a bigger city was closer (edmonton 4 hours) but in all not a bad place at all.

Just now saw this. We've been living in GP since the end of July. So far I love it!! It's a much bigger place than I was living at and our closest "big" city was Prince George and it was still 6-7 hours away haha! So we're pretty happy with all the shopping here. And we love that there are so many young families here! There is so much to do with little kids. We'll see how the winter goes :brrr:

lilbugsmomma 11-07-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DillyDay (Post 14028207)
born and raised there for the first 20 years of my life!

it's a good small town to live in.. okay.. so not so small anymore. lots of playgrounds for kids. good schools.

From what my mother tells me (she still lives there) it is NOT easy to find a doctor (my old family doc is retiring soon, booo!), and peditricians up there, you can get into by referral ONLY.

Groceries prices seem okay to me! and i live in edmonton now. Bonus side! no more PST for you!

Thanks!! We're really liking GP so far! I somehow managed to find a family doctor right away. Everyone I tell that too is shocked. They were opening a new clinic and I happened to call just in time! And now I'm pregnant so I got refferred to an OB/GYN right away :)

Having a better selection of stores helps with the grocery budget for sure! We do find a lot of things more expensive here, but the wages are much better so I guess it all equals out in the end!

daisy0306 11-08-2011 10:46 AM

Welcome to GP! I live here and have for 10 years now. I'd imagine you have figured out the answers to your questions. Get ready for winter, though, lol!

If you'd like to start meeting some people or have a place to chat I started a FB group for us.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?l...2970294737052/

lilbugsmomma 11-12-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy0306 (Post 14086636)
Welcome to GP! I live here and have for 10 years now. I'd imagine you have figured out the answers to your questions. Get ready for winter, though, lol!

If you'd like to start meeting some people or have a place to chat I started a FB group for us.

https://www.facebook.com/index.php?l...2970294737052/

Cool, thank you. I'll go check it out!

BrittniAndElle 11-14-2011 12:46 PM

I have lived in gp all of my life. I have a 2.5 month old. I wanted to find stuff to do for little babies (playgroups) but I can't seem to find anything!