Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   a few questions (nursing a newbie) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1185131)

carolineb 03-28-2011 05:01 PM

a few questions (nursing a newbie)

Well, you would think being my 3rd baby I would have a better clue. Of course, it's been 4 years since my last newbie! Anyway, my little guy is 3 days old. He's nursing well with a great latch so we don't have any issues at all. I had him weight checked yesterday and he was within the normal range for weight loss after birth and should be on the upswing.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out when he's hungry and when he isn't. He'll nurse and either fall asleep quickly, or I might hear really good gulping for a few minutes, switch, he'll do good for a few minutes more, then get sleepy again. If we put him down, he wakes up and starts going after his hands like crazy so I try nursing him again. At some point I can't tell if he's frustrated b/c there is nothing there or if he's full but still wants to suck and is mad that more milk is coming. I can't tell if my milk has fully come in or not, but I definitely feel fuller and heavier. He's got plenty of wet/dirty diapers so I know he is getting enough.

Last night I nursed him for what seemed like 2 hours straight and he would not settle down. He would frantically root and latch on, let go, latch on, root, latch on, let go. I'd switch him and the same would happen again and again. I was going to try and avoid pacifiers, but it seems like at times he doesn't want me to be the pacifier, but other times he does.

Anybody got any clues as to what's going on with him?

EmilyA874 03-28-2011 05:25 PM

Re: a few questions (nursing a newbie)

I'm not any help, but I wanted to let you know we are having the same things going on with our newbie (the going after hands, 2 hours of on off on off, but she is wetting/dirtying enough diapers), she's my first baby though so I really have no clue what I am doing most of the time it feels like! So I just wanted to say you're not alone! Hopefully someone else will comment and maybe help us both :goodvibes:

mrjsmom 03-28-2011 05:49 PM

Hmmm most times from what I've experienced is that when the milk flow slows down they drift off. This may be different for some others. When my girls would start to drift off I would start breast compressions and lo and behold the milk would be flowing and their eyes would pop open. Try it and see. Check out Dr newmans breast compressions videos on YouTube. Some of the videos show this so nicely!!

mrjsmom 03-28-2011 05:50 PM

And maybe he gets frustrated by popping off and on when the flow has slowed down as well??!! You could try compressions then too

nursenmom 03-28-2011 05:55 PM

I think it's just a guessing game for the first month. Most of the time my littlest one does this (7 weeks now) it's because she just wants to suck and is getting frustrated with all the milk. You can try other soothing things: sling, swaddle, etc. and see if that works

mrjsmom 03-28-2011 05:58 PM

http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

Here's his site with lots of videos and info

IsaacMomom 03-28-2011 10:35 PM

Mine was doing this, and it was so frustrating that I gave in and gave him a pacifier. it has helped both our sanity.. but yea he would root suck, and milk come out and I would get PIERCING crys, that was stressing me out and him. that I told DH that I'm throwing out the no paci rule out the window He needs something..

BUT now though I'm going to be working on breaking him of the pacifier. not going to be fun times. LOL

palsmama 03-28-2011 10:40 PM

Maybe he is just gassy and needing to take care of that and sucking is soothing for him when he is uncomfortable. You could try carrying and burping and soothing in other ways like bouncing , patting, swaying.

2LittleAngels 03-29-2011 12:51 AM

My youngest currently does the latch, suck, leg go & cry, latch, suck, let go & cry pattern also. For her, I have found when she does that, that she only wants to suck and doesn't want to eat and gets frustrated when my milk is coming at her. When she does that, I stick a soothie pacifier in and she's happy, calms down, and goes to sleep. I figure I'd rather have to break the habit of a pacifier than thumb/finger sucking if I have an option of the two (she currently sucks on her hand if there is no pacifier or breast available).

mgl 03-29-2011 06:32 AM

Dd1 was like this from the time she was a few days old. She would want to suck, but get upset if milk was coming out. She would scream at the breast if she had eaten recently. We prefer the paci over fingers/thumb in our house, so she got a paci. She was happy as can be. She had no problem with her weight gain, wets and dirties, ect., so I knew she was getting plenty. She just didn't like to comfort nurse.