Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does anyone not enjoy BF? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1185459)

2beauties 03-29-2011 09:24 AM

Does anyone not enjoy BF?

I know this is not the norm, especially on DS, but I have a really really hard time enjoying breastfeeding. This is my third babe, and he is 8 months old, but I am just counting down the days until he is one year and I don't feel like I have to do this. I am red headed and have very tender skin. I had oversupply so bad in the beginning that I had plugged ducts ALL THE TIME and mastitis twice. My periods come back very early and now that they are very regular my milk supply is not as good, I am actually taking stuff to increase it which is so funny because I used to have so much. I am exercising a lot too, so that may be affecting it and he eats solids. Anyway, I want more babies, but when I think about breastfeeding again I cringe. It makes me so sad, I just don't want to do it again, and I am determined to nurse at least a year and avoid formula. I just wondered if anyone else feels this way. I want so bad to love it, but I really don't like it, especially when I am on my period, I am so sensitive and sore.
Thanks for any advice.

Hollie

HeatherlovesCDs 03-29-2011 09:57 AM

Re: Does anyone not enjoy BF?

It sounds like you may have stronger feelings than I do, but I don't really enjoy it. I have nursed my oldest till he was 6 months, then pumped exclusively till 10 months. I nursed my first set of twins till they were 16 months and this set of twins is going on 12 months. I don't really enjoy it. I really, really struggle with yeast and nursing always hurts. I have gotten mastitis many times. Early on, I have over-supply, but with all my babies I have a low supply by 8 months. I struggle very hard to make my babies all the milk they need. I have to take supplements and pump to get extra stimulation. So, really, it hurts, is a struggle to make happen and is quite stressful for me.

However, I believe so strongly in BF'ing. When everything is quiet and I'm able to just snuggle with my babies, it warms my heart. I love to see the two of them holding hands while nursing. I love that I can always comfort my babies. I also find this extreme sense of pride and accomplishment that I can feed my babies from my body. Something about that is very empowering to me as a mother. So, while I really don't enjoy the pain and the tears my low supply causes me, I do love the emotional side of it. (Well, I don't always like the demand.) Sometimes, I think I'll just give up because of the physical issues, but the flip side keeps me going.

This time, I plan to nurse until I can't stand it anymore or until they reach 2 years. I would like to not need to bother with any other kind of milk. My milk is the perfect milk for them. There are many days, I start to rethink that. My babies will be 1 in less than a month and there is a big part of me that wants to just end it then. I'm very stubborn though. :giggle2: A year is a wonderful goal to have. I commend you for doing something you don't enjoy because you know it's best for your baby!! Great job, Mom!!! :hugs:

OzarkCountryMomma 03-29-2011 10:03 AM

I enjoy it at night when I can sit and enjoy my cuddle time with him. However, having active 7 and 4 year olds the BFing can become annoying/frustrating because I feel like I just sit all day with a boob in my LO's mounth. This seems like it keeps me from getting things done I need to do. I'm all the time telling my older boys, "Let Momma get baby brother fed and then I'll help you." Maybe it's because I'm so busy. I sometimes feel almost enviouse of my cousin who bottle feeds, because anybody can feed the baby. On the flip side, I know sometimes she's envious of me BFing, because she so wanted to BF her baby, but a stupid nurse in the hospital gave her a shot for somehing (?) that dried her milk up.

emconigs 03-29-2011 10:04 AM

I always thought I was weird for feeling this way! I nursed DD until she was one year old, but couldn't wait until I was done! Now I have a newborn DS and I already feel like I am looking forward to that first birthday. I don't have any problems with nursing as PP's said, but I just don't love it. I feel like my body belongs to my baby and I want it back! Even though it is not my favorite thing, it is easier than making bottles and much cheeper and healthier! So onward I go :)

hmmclever 03-29-2011 10:24 AM

Honestly, its not my favorite thing to do, but i know its the best thing to do for my situation, so I do it. I nursed ds until he was 17-18 months, he was basically done and i wanted a little time before having dd (i got a month break) I got pregnant when dd was about 6 months and for some reason this time my supply tanked, so we stopped nursing around 9 months and i put her on goats milk...which i hate dealing with bottles, so each way has its good and bad, and there are conveninces for both...ds #2 is due to arrive any day, im not really looking forward to nursing, but i feel like since i am able to (and i def. dont want to spend money on formula), so i should, and knowing it is so good for them helps too.

2beauties 03-29-2011 11:10 AM

Glad that I am not alone. I do stick it out because I am such a determined person. I know it is best for him and I will do it, I just wish that I liked it more. Hopefully I will be able to make it a year and then not worry so much about it.

Lu&Ce'sMommy 03-29-2011 12:37 PM

I had thought about posting the same feelings but never did as I didn't want to be flamed. I'm not really a big fan but I know it's the right thing to do. I wasn't able to BF DS and I was so upset about it and DD took right to it. I've only been doing it a month but it's a pain I know she won't eat as much as she gets older so it might not be as bad then. However once I go back to work I don't think I'll be able to keep up my supply but I'll try to. I will be happy if I can just get the 3 months in.
As far as the "bonding" I don't feel any different giving her my boob than I did feeding DS a bottle. In fact it's a little more of a pain because she always wants ME, and not DH cause he doesn't have the boob juice, she will take a bottle from him but she will fuss.
Sometimes I want to just say forget it and give her formula (since DS is fine and he was FF) but I'm trying to make it to 3 months and save myself some money. Hopefully I can also get a freezer stash to save some more but I don't see with my work and every thing else making it a year.

Oh yeah and I am a bigger lady with bigger ta tas so NIP scares me and I'm not comfortable exposing my body so that makes it hard to leave the house.

bigmamakelsey 03-29-2011 12:42 PM

I didn't really enjoy it either. We've had SO many problems breastfeeding. I'm totally ready to be done. I wanted to hit the 18 month mark before we stop, and now we're almost there!! :lostit: :yay:

katiegud 03-29-2011 12:46 PM

I didn't like it in the beginning, but now it doesn't bother me. When it hurt and she wouldn't latch without a nipple shield, and I was engorged - then I didn't like it! Now that it's easier I like the snuggle time. I still hate pumping though, so going back to work has been rough. I commend all of you that had real problems (mastitis, yeast, etc.) and fought through them! I'm sure many other people stop for those reasons alone!

hilaryisinked 03-29-2011 03:02 PM

I go through phases. Sometimes I enjoy it and sometimes I do not. More disliking than liking in our almost 13 months.