Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How did you deal with colic & when did it go away? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1185621)

AniBee 03-29-2011 01:06 PM

How did you deal with colic & when did it go away?

DS2 is 5 months old & cries a lot. He's just never content, even when he's not crying. We've been to his ped twice about this issue & she is great, but she can find nothing wrong with him. So I guess it's constituted "colic".

But I'm going out of my mind. Today has been especially bad & I've tried everything to console him & nothing is working. He cries in his swing, in his jumperoo, in my arms...everywhere. Everyone said his crying would get better by 3 months old, then by 4 months old, then by 5 months old...but it's persisted & I don't know how to cope.

Advice? Strategies?

KrispiKreme 03-29-2011 01:35 PM

Re: How did you deal with colic & when did it go away?

I would say that DS's colic went away by the time he was 4-5 months old. His issue was dairy and soy intolerance which caused gas, vomiting, and general unhappiness. He cried for hours every day. Once, he didn't stop crying for a single minute while DBF was at work (8 hours). The only thing that helped me was that DBF cut his hours at work to help me with DS at home. Switching to Alimentum for formula and adding Prevacid to DS's routine helped also. It was a really hard time for me and I don't have much advice. What I did was just stick him in a carrier or the swing and hope that it would help. It usually didn't but I felt like I was trying. Mylicon and gripe water are always something I recommend as well as trying to figure out if there is an issue with the formula or something in your breastmilk. :hugs:

macmemo 03-29-2011 01:42 PM

We use homeopathic(sp?) drops and they work wonders

AcrossTheUniverse 03-29-2011 01:45 PM

You should try gripe water. I made mine homemade from fennel seed.

We also figured out it was a digestive thing for our LO and once we got him on a hypoallergenic formula he was a completely different baby. His also got worse until that point (when he was almost 5 months old).

Amanda9542 03-29-2011 02:21 PM

Try probiotics!:) We have been using the BioGaia L. Reuteri drops. I had read a few studies about it specifically helping with infants. It has helped tremendously. http://www.childrensprobiotics.com/

AniBee 03-29-2011 02:45 PM

I've tried gripe water, mylicon, homeopathic teething drops [Camillia, I think is the brand], Little teethers gel, even lactose free formula. Nothing's helped :/

AniBee 03-29-2011 02:46 PM

Probiotics have been tried too, but I did start another 5-day round today. We use SISU Baby Bifido.

Erinne 03-29-2011 04:18 PM

My dd gradually got better starting at like 6-8 months, and by about a year she was more or less "normal." She doesn't have any allergies or anything, it was just her temperament. Now, as a toddler, she's a very hot or cold type person. She's never really just chill, she's always either really happy or really sad, but she does have a lot of really "up" time. We also tried everything diet and environment-wise to try to help her, but I really think with some kids, it's just who they are. It's HARD though! The best thing that kinda worked for my dd was going for a walk in the Moby or bouncing on an exercise ball, but even that was hit-or-miss. Really, hitting developmental milestones and becoming more independent (learning to crawl and walk, baby signing) was the only thing that really made her any happier. Hang in there, mama! I'm sure your little boy will be an awesome little person when he grows into those big emotions!

trying4more 03-29-2011 07:03 PM

Soy formula?

Kriket 03-29-2011 07:18 PM

We had a "colic"-er just regular run of the mill grouchy baby. Not really gassy, or tired or anything. Just liked to cry.

It got better about 6m when he could play with things and look at things.

It does make you want to pull your hair out, but it will be over eventually. Wearing him helped a little.