Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Car seat laws? What is your opinion. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1185808)

SunDancerAcres 03-29-2011 05:29 PM

Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

I am looking for everyones honest opinion on Car Seat Laws.

I personally do not believe I should be told how I need to raise my children or how to keep them safe. I do not feel that putting my baby into a car seat while they scream bc of being restrained, or bc they feel alone, or etc. is a good thing nor do I believe that a driver can concentrate on the road or driving with a baby crying in the backseat. They say just pull over and tend to the baby and then get back on the road, if that were the case, Id never be able to drive bc mine screams bloody murder in his car seat. He hates it and always has. So I guess women with children that do not like car seat should be aloud to drive.

So anyone else want to give their 2:2cents: . Yes I know this could get to a heated debate I just want everyones honest opinion and if I am the only one that feels this way. :headscratch:

BTW : How many of you remember wearing a seat belt as a child or having someone you know die due to lack of a car seat.

I remember a specific accident I was in where my mom was wearing a seat belt and got injured by the seat belt and was told had she not been wearing it she most likely would not have had any injuries at all.

ohgirlohboyohno 03-29-2011 05:39 PM

Re: Car seat laws? What is your opinion.

I think car seats are necessary - same with seat belts...I don't mind it being a law.

I know when I was a child a good friend's mom was driving home some kids (car-pool) and one child was killed in the car accident - I don't think that child had been buckled in - it was not HER child - I don't think any of the children were buckled in - I believe the law was still kind of "iffy" on backseat belt use.

sourpatch_babe 03-29-2011 05:41 PM

Well coming from someone whose child screamed bloody murder from the trip home from the hospital all the way until about 18 months and knowing what I do about the morbidity of children improperly restrained, I am all for stricter carseat laws. And I had to take him almost 20 minutes each way to daycare every day. I did what any reasonable mother would do when faced with either their child's discomfort or the child's safety and well being, I ignored him. I don't remember ever wearing a seatbelt but then again, we didn't have a car and did the sardines in a can thing the few times we rode in a car (kids sitting on top of kids sitting on top of adults while more kids sitting on the floor of the car) and buses/taxis didn't have seatbelts either.

The way I see it is this: if for some reason my child died in a car accident and suffered internal decapitation because I didn't want "the man" telling me what to do in regards to keeping him safe, I would never be able to live with myself and would probably commit suicide out of shame and guilt.

misidawnrn 03-29-2011 05:42 PM

The first time your have to slam on the brakes and your child flys through your front windshield like a missle, you will change your mind about carseats/seatbelts...my mom did when my brother literally went through the windshield!!!!
I was in a carwreck and was ejected and was in ICU for 3 days and the medical floor for an additional few days...I wasn't wearing my seat belt and wouldn't have been injured if I had been.
For every "they wouldn't have been injured if they weren't wearing a seatbelt" story you hear, you will hear the opposite story about wearing one.

My 2yo hates her carseat for long drives...I just got back from driving for 4 hours with her in a carseat and she cried 1/2 of it. Did I want to let her out just to get her from crying...yep....did I let her out....NOPE!!!!!!!!

Little children are projectiles. I will not take my chances that they get harmed because I have to slam on the brakes. Sorry.

yankeesundbound 03-29-2011 05:42 PM

I remember last year there was a 3 year old who died a block from my house. Her mother got into an accident and she wasn't in a seat belt or car seat. She was tossed around the van like a rag doll. Now her mother doesn't have to worry about her throwing a fit I guess. I'm sorry, but my child's life is not negotiable. Tantrums don't get her out of anything else. She throws a fit when I don't let her swim in the ocean alone, but she doesn't get to do that either.

People shouldn't be able to smoke or drink with their kids in the car, and they shouldn't be able to drive without using car seats if the kid is old enough to need one. All of those are life threatening. I always wish there were more cops around to spot people who aren't using them. If they aren't smart enough to protect their defenseless child, someone else has to.

I worked as a preschool teacher. One parent kept bringing his 1 yr old in an infant seat, with the chest strap all the way down to his stomach, and the crotch latch not latched. My boss got mad when I repeatedly told the dad it doesn't work that way. She said I was annoying him. I finally told him that his son will have severe internal injuries if they get into an accident. He finally did it right.

pcjs 03-29-2011 05:45 PM

I'll take a screaming child over a dead child and I'm all for the new rules but we planned to follow them regardless and try to go till 3-4 extended and will do what ever we have to including importing a seat to keep our son safe. It does suck they make them laws but some people don't have the best judgement so its a necessary evil. I hope they will bring the european improved seats here so it makes RF easier when kids get older.

Kriket 03-29-2011 05:46 PM

I don't mind them. Driving is a privilege, not a right. We are an 8 and 80 state, and honestly, I'm stoked. Now I don't have to explain why my 8yo nanny-kid is "still" in a booster. Because it's the law. Period. No gray area, if you want to go above and beyond, go for it.

FWIW- generally the "carseat people" annoy me. But I can go with the carseat laws :thumbsup:

SunDancerAcres 03-29-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe (Post 12615825)
Well coming from someone whose child screamed bloody murder from the trip home from the hospital all the way until about 18 months and knowing what I do about the morbidity of children improperly restrained, I am all for stricter carseat laws. And I had to take him almost 20 minutes each way to daycare every day. I did what any reasonable mother would do when faced with either their child's discomfort or the child's safety and well being, I ignored him. I don't remember ever wearing a seatbelt but then again, we didn't have a car and did the sardines in a can thing the few times we rode in a car (kids sitting on top of kids sitting on top of adults while more kids sitting on the floor of the car) and buses/taxis didn't have seatbelts either.

The way I see it is this: if for some reason my child died in a car accident and suffered internal decapitation because I didn't want "the man" telling me what to do in regards to keeping him safe, I would never be able to live with myself and would probably commit suicide out of shame and guilt.

Here s my question on just ignoring them ... do you not think that cuases stress on both the mother and the child and tells the child I really dont care that you are crying. I never ignore my child when he is crying I think it sends the wrong message to them.

OneHotMama 03-29-2011 05:47 PM

Well, here is my experience anyway. My mom is an EMT and I can always tell when she has a bad call when she calls me up and makes me promise to never go without my seat belt. Oh course due to confidentiality she can't tell me any specifics, but I live in a small town so I hear about it through the grape vine and put two and two together (when was the accident, when was she on call) So for me anyway, I've heard enough cases that the person would have survived if they had worn their seat belts, or did survive horrific accidents due to their seat belt. My little brother lost a friend at 16 when she and her bf got in an accident and she died instantly of traumatic head and chest trauma from the dashboard. If she had a belt on, she would have made it, as the bf did (per the coroner). I guess I feel the same way about car seats. Are they annoying? YES!!!! When my son was an infant he hated his seat and hated being rear facing....I turned him around as soon as I could for my sanity. But on the other hand, I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened to him because he wasn't properly restrained, because I fully admit that I am not the world best driver. I don't mean to harp on anyone, I just post because you asked for people's beliefs and if they had heard of anyone who died because of not wearing their seat belts, so I wanted to share. Just my:2cents:

cedricsmom 03-29-2011 05:47 PM

Since you cannot only harm yourself by not using a seatbelt and your children cannot speak for themselves I think that these laws are very necessary. It is statisticaly proven that people without using their seat belts or children without a car seat are insured more often or dead than people using them. You also cannot compare to 30 years ago, there are much more cars on the streets, the cars are faster than ever before. A child that is not restrained in a car seat becomes a catapult when you only have to go hard on your breaks. If you are too distracted by your crying child to drive safely, I think you should not drive. You would be a danger to anybody else.