Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Unsure if I want to stay at my new job (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1185957)

vivi_mama 03-29-2011 09:19 PM

Unsure if I want to stay at my new job

If you got a new job about a month ago and didn't like it and knew a different job wouldn't be hard to find, would you leave the job you didn't like?

How long would you give yourself to decide if it's worth staying or leaving?

I'm really unsure if I like my new job and while I want the experience, I'm terrified of developing bad habits in my career and going against everything I've ever learned in school. I want to bail so bad, but also want to model the change I know is necessary. I'm stumped!

kocho 03-30-2011 06:19 AM

Re: Unsure if I want to stay at my new job

Yikes. That's a tough one. I think I would look around for something else rather then just leaving. And definitely give a notice when you do leave. That's just good business practice and common courtesy. Those are things that you will want to model to them for sure.

keonli 03-30-2011 06:23 AM

If you need a job to support yourself, then do stick with it. You can make the changes you deem necessary to enjoy your job. I am in a job where I am underpaid and the staff morale is iffy, but jobs are hard to come by (it's either I'm overqualified or they want to give me even more of a pay cut) so I stick with it.

However, if you are REALLY unhappy with it and can't find any positives about it, then it definitely isn't worth your mental health and stability.

doodah 03-30-2011 07:46 AM

What exactly are the issues there? Are they really things that would be different at another job or just things that you are currently struggling with because you have to work, period? You see the difference?

vivi_mama 03-30-2011 08:58 PM

I'm struggling with the way the therapy staff handles their caseload and doesn't provide services that qualify as skilled, in my opinion. The therapy isn't 1:1 and people are basically set up on exercise machines with minimal assistance from the staff. I want to do therapy the right way and not get stuck in a rut. I accepted this job with the hopes that I would have good mentorship available, but that hasn't been the case. I know I have to be the change I want to see and know I can do it, it just seems like it's going to be a struggle to go against the grain and model good work ethics .I'm not sure if I want to stay there and do things the right way or leave and find a job where the staff is passionate about patient-centered care. I originally wanted to go into pediatrics but chose this job bc of the good work hours and bc I had a good experience with inpatient rehab on an internship and thought I'd do well at it.

sh0rtchica 04-01-2011 09:07 AM

i say give it 6 months. when i initially came to this job i REALLY wanted to leave right away, i thought i'd made a terrible decision and was incredibly unhappy. things did get better - i was able to make some changes around here and get more comfortable. i've never been entirely happy here, though, and i'm not returning after the new baby is born. so i stuck it out a little over a year. i think you need more than a month to get acclimated and really know if you can make things happen the way you want.

on the flip side, i don't think there is anything wrong with starting to look for another opportunity. keep your eyes peeled, visit job boards, and just generally keep in the back of your mind that there may be a better opportunity out there. good luck!

BabyDiaperService 05-26-2011 11:12 AM

You need to find what you are passionate about. If you have not found it yet, be passionate about what you have now and the right passion will surface.