Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Yeast Questions...tried almost everything... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118596)

Ashwin'sMommy 03-23-2007 11:04 PM

Yeast Questions...tried almost everything...

Our 11 mth old has an ear infection that was treated with antibiotics for a week up unitl yesterday and has had a yeast rash sine the beginning though thankfully the ear infection is gone... Gave him probiotics the entire time but didn't seem to make the yeast rash go away. I have tried almost everything...clotrimazole, tolnaftate, nystation powder, GSE in his wipe water, vinegar in his wipe water...baking soda (but it stung badly, so gave that up)...also some air time which is not helping as the rash is in his cheeks...the only thing that worked was the lotrimin with tolnafate but only for a few days in the beginning when the rash was not so bad...so the doctor has given us SilvaSorb which is an antimicrobial silver formulation ointment to use on the areas thaqt the skin has started to "open up" or some off (so there is redness underneath..)as well as nystation ointment for the other parts of the rash, so hopefully I will see some change soon. Also, I have ordered some silk liners and doublers to see if they help...Oh yeah, and I am not using pockets, only fitteds with no cover or pf's with a cotton cover - or wool of course...

Any other suggestions? We are at the end of our ropes...I hear Gentian Violet can help but not sure if it is too strong for him and not sure if it is a liquid, a powder etc and if it can be used with the meds we have now...

And also wondering what you guys did to disinfect dipes...he doesn;t have diahhrea like he had in the beginning so I am not going through quite as many dipes, but have added GSE to the wash about 20 drops as well as bleach before I found GSE. W are ion an apt so turning up the water heater is tough...and I am hoping I don't have to spend a week putting all his dipes though the dishwasher as it is really small....

UPDATE: OK, so it looks like we have made a big dent in this war! We have used nystation ointment along with silvasorb for his broken skin, and since the yeast rash had spread to his arms, thighs and belly, I put the nystatin there as well...used vinegar and GSE in his wipe solution only, bathed him in the same solution, and he is now almost 95 % rash free!!! I have also been giving him probiotics. Oh, and I put him in sposies for the last 3 days and I think that may have also helped by keeping him super dry. I have washed all his dipes with hot water over 56 degrees, in a little bleach and vinegar and some GSE and I hope the yeasties are gone!!! ANything I am missing? How long in your opinion should I keep him in sposies and how can I tell the yeast is gone? I heard that I should treat for yeast for 2 weeks?

OneFabMama 03-23-2007 11:14 PM

Re: Yeast Questions...tried almost everything...

Yogurt.

Ashwin'sMommy 03-23-2007 11:20 PM

How would I use this and do you just slather it on and then put the dipe over it? What is your experience with yogurt and did you have problems with any other solutions and so you tried yogurt? Is this just for yeast rashes or for any rashes?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFabMama (Post 868998)
Yogurt.

angelaa 03-23-2007 11:26 PM

My DD had a yeast rash that lasted about 2 months. I finally got rid of it by switching to sposies for awhile and sprinkling probiotic capsules on the rash. The nystatin and oral probiotics didn't work. The sprinkling really made the difference. We are rash free and back in cloth. I know how frustrating it can be. Good luck.

OneFabMama 03-23-2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taragowland (Post 869013)
How would I use this and do you just slather it on and then put the dipe over it? What is your experience with yogurt and did you have problems with any other solutions and so you tried yogurt? Is this just for yeast rashes or for any rashes?

Thanks!

DD had a yeast rash several months ago and I fed her yogurt 3, 4, 5 times a day for 2-3 days and it was gone. You can also apply yogurt to the rash (just make sure its PLAIN yogurt, and not like strawberry if you're going to apply it directly LOL) Though it can be any kind of yogurt if he is going to eat it. :thumbsup: And, I believe its just yeast rashes it works for -- some sort of enzyme in the yogurt kills off yeasty bacteria.

I didnt try anything else -- went straight for the yogurt first thing.

Ashwin'sMommy 03-24-2007 12:02 AM

Hi! I am thinking of doing that too...how was it going back to sposies? I hate that his butt can't breathe in them, so how did your DD reeact to that? Did you switch since you think she was getting reinfected?

Tara

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelaa (Post 869022)
My DD had a yeast rash that lasted about 2 months. I finally got rid of it by switching to sposies for awhile and sprinkling probiotic capsules on the rash. The nystatin and oral probiotics didn't work. The sprinkling really made the difference. We are rash free and back in cloth. I know how frustrating it can be. Good luck.

Ashwin'sMommy 03-24-2007 12:04 AM

OK - that makes sense! Someone told me once a long time ago to put yogurt on your own parts when you have a y infection!! He is getting probiotics orally, so I am sure it is the same thing...but good to know! Also, how old was your DD when you started feeding yogurt? DS is 11 months and I heard cow's milk is not for under 12 month olds?

Thanks!

Tara

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneFabMama (Post 869042)
DD had a yeast rash several months ago and I fed her yogurt 3, 4, 5 times a day for 2-3 days and it was gone. You can also apply yogurt to the rash (just make sure its PLAIN yogurt, and not like strawberry if you're going to apply it directly LOL) Though it can be any kind of yogurt if he is going to eat it. :thumbsup: And, I believe its just yeast rashes it works for -- some sort of enzyme in the yogurt kills off yeasty bacteria.

I didnt try anything else -- went straight for the yogurt first thing.

mrsjune 03-24-2007 12:13 AM

I used the Equate brand Antifungal Athletes foot cream. It worked WONDERS!! I put her in sposies for a day and soaked her diapers in the sink with 2 HUGE bottles of white vinegar and water. Soaked for 18hrs then washed with a little bleech and did about 4 cold rinses. It was the only thing that would get rid of it!

OneFabMama 03-24-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taragowland (Post 869100)
OK - that makes sense! Someone told me once a long time ago to put yogurt on your own parts when you have a y infection!! He is getting probiotics orally, so I am sure it is the same thing...but good to know! Also, how old was your DD when you started feeding yogurt? DS is 11 months and I heard cow's milk is not for under 12 month olds?

Thanks!

Tara

Yogurt is different. I started feeding yogurt to DD at about 9 months. :thumbsup:

Ashwin'sMommy 03-24-2007 10:02 AM

Hi! Yeah, we used that too in the beginning and it helped but then it got worse, so I am using nystation and silversorb for the little fissures he has...and put him in wool last night - the rash looks alot better today but now it has spread to other parts of his body!!! Question - does the yeast get trapped in the cloth and this is why it is getting worse??? ALso, sicne we have hard water, will vinegar have a bad effect on the dipes? Our water is probably the hardest water ever! Also, as I asked another mama, do you use sposies since the yeast is trapped in the cloth? Does the sposie trap more moisture and take a longer time to heal?

Thanks!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjune (Post 869124)
I used the Equate brand Antifungal Athletes foot cream. It worked WONDERS!! I put her in sposies for a day and soaked her diapers in the sink with 2 HUGE bottles of white vinegar and water. Soaked for 18hrs then washed with a little bleech and did about 4 cold rinses. It was the only thing that would get rid of it!