Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   SNS/Lact-Aid Mamas... Counting Ounces (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1186136)

jenbo 03-30-2011 09:57 AM

SNS/Lact-Aid Mamas... Counting Ounces

Hey Mamas! I'm BFing my 9 week old adoptive son since he was 2 days old. Didn't start using the Lact-Aid unit until he was two weeks old, just didn't have it yet. So far, everything is going well and I'm excited that it is working for him. He gets all his formula that way, except for his bedtime bottle with daddy. I'm making some milk but doubt I'll ever have a full milk supply for him.

How do you know how much of a milk supply you're producing? Isn't there a bit of math, like "Babies weighing this many lb. need this many oz. per day" and healthy weight-gaining babies drinking less formula than that are getting the rest from your own milk supply?!
:headscratch:

Vegan Princess 03-30-2011 10:11 PM

Re: SNS/Lact-Aid Mamas... Counting Ounces

First of all, congrats on being able to breastfeed your little one! I had supply issues and used a lactaid until my DD was 15 months (and kept nursing beyond that).

There are formulas, which I don't remember (sorry). But I think it varies by baby really. The way I got a general idea was to pump for a feed or for a few feeds and see how much I am producing - and then add in what the baby takes from the lactaid. Or, while you are pumping, just give baby a bottle of formula and see how many ounces he takes total - subtract what he usually takes from the lactaid and you have what he is getting from you. So if your baby drinks a 5 ounce bottle but you usually only give him 2 ounces per feed, he is likely getting 3 ounces from you.

Cindy

PoshPants 03-31-2011 08:23 PM

How wonderful you are breastfeeding your adopted child :thumbsup:

Babies usually take in about 1 oz per hour on avg. You can try reducing the amount in the SNS and see if baby still seems satisfied. You can also stop the flow at various points of your nursing session and listen for active swallowing even try a feed or two without it and see how it goes.

Remember that breastfeeding is so much more than just providing human milk, SNS or not :goodvibes:

jenbo 03-31-2011 09:59 PM

I start each session with at least 3 minutes BF on each side, and then add the SNS. I've managed to figure out how many ounces in each bag are enough but not too much so that I can get in 8 sessions per day with DS.

:bfinfant:

Layney82 04-01-2011 09:43 AM

I used a lactation aid for 4 months and then pumped for 3 more months. I had no idea how much I was producing until I pumped though.

Weigh-feed-weighs will tell you for an individual feeding, though. Very precise baby scales can be rented from hospitals and stores that rent breast pumps. Weigh the baby, then feed, then weigh again and the increase in weight (in grams) is equal to the baby's intake in mL. So if the baby gained 126g and took 90ml of formula, then you produced 36ml of milk.

ETA: If you try this, try not to become obsessive over it. I used to go to my local lactation clinic almost daily to do this. Sometimes I made 60ml, sometimes I made less than 10ml. It got pretty depressing (my issue was IGT, not induced lactation.)