Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Testing the WAHM Waters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Oversized receiving blankets? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1186811)

jamiejo 03-31-2011 12:34 PM

Oversized receiving blankets?

My Aunt has made me some for both of my children, and I have to say they were my favorite things with both kids. I know it's a super simple thing, but would anyone be interested? The price would of course depend on my cost of flannel, but I'm thinking they would be around $15??

scamara 04-03-2011 08:07 PM

Re: Oversized receiving blankets?

I have a couple and they really are awesome. One is from Swaddle Designs and the other were WAHM.I plan to make some for my a few friends. I think $15 is a great price, especially if you find cute flannel. I even have one made out of a lightweight woven fabric that is great for summer. Good luck!

Frizabeans 04-03-2011 08:33 PM

Haha- I Just bought some today! So, yes! And $15 is totally reasonable.

RoccerMom 04-03-2011 09:14 PM

I would think so! Those little ones don't last long and I think they'd be good as a lighter blanket in the summer.

jamiejo 04-04-2011 09:01 AM

Yay! Thanks mamas! I bought enough flannel for half a dozen, I'm hoping to get them done this week :)

ckcallen 04-04-2011 10:11 AM

I absolutely love my oversized receiving blankets! My kids are 4 yrs and 1.5 yrs and still use them! I think $15 is great too!

DarcyJ 08-27-2011 07:02 PM

I would be interested (if I were expecting). I only found 2 blankets I could swaddle my daughter in that were big enough to stay tucked in. I liked the waffle weave though because I could get them that much more snug with that little stretch. Plus, they were thermal and I didn't worry as much about her over heating. HTH!

carriek38 08-27-2011 07:17 PM

It can be hard to find blankets big enough to swaddle with, so I think there's a market. I don't know how much they are now, but I ended up buying flannel swaddle blankets at Target--I think they were about $15 for a 4-pk & were 30"x30". I think you'll get folks who place a premium on WAHM-made items, but you'll lose the "I just need a stinkin' blanket big enough to swaddle with!" people. What I might have spent a little more & bought WAHM-made for was...I don't know...maybe something double-sided? But not bulky. It bothered me that DD was in just a diaper & the "wrong" side of the flannel was in toward her...or I had to look at the backside of the fabric, which I didn't like, either. Maybe flannel inner & a lightweight woven on the reverse?

cassieJJ 08-27-2011 09:04 PM

Wish you had been around when my babies were babies cause I totally would have been all over that!

jamiejo 08-28-2011 09:56 AM

Thanks for the new input ladies! I actually had one for both kiddos that was flannel on one side and woven on the other. It was quite a lot heavier tho, and didn't work well in the summer. The thermal is a great thought. I've had such a busy summer I haven't been able to do much WAHMing. But now things are finally slowing down. My DS is in Kindergarten, and DD actually takes a nap for 2ish hours a day!!! I've gotten something made everyday for almost 2 weeks! :lostit:

For those of you that mentioned double sided, If I did two sided, would you want print on both sides? Print/solid? or Print/contrast print??
The finished size ends up being approx 40x40 depending on how much they shrink in pre-washing :mrgreen: