Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me plan Orion's birthday! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1187440)

savvytrav 04-01-2011 12:33 PM

Help me plan Orion's birthday!

So...we are having a party in the afternoon near the end of May. It will be at a local park. I am really wanting to have something a little more than just dessert and playtime, and O's grandparents are wanting to help pay for it...thinking something like renting ponies, or having a 'safari show' where a guy comes and talks about all the crazy animals he brings (alligators, large birds, etc).

I was just wondering if any of you creative mamas have any other great ideas for something a bit special and not-so-common...or links to sites with awesome ideas!

Thank you!!!

cheezpoofs 04-01-2011 01:58 PM

Re: Help me plan Orion's birthday!

Honestly, I would save the awesome ponies or safari animal guy party for when Orion is older and can enjoy it himself. At one, he's not going to know the difference at all if he has or doesn't have a party. The first birthday is for Mommy. At very least, maybe you should have something Mommy can enjoy (ie. not ponies). I'd go simple for one and two and save the extravagance for parties my child will be able to participate in/ remember. But that's just me. :2cents:

As for a little less extravagant but still a little different, you could get a clown or a face painter or a magician or a balloon artist, or something like that.... Or get a professional photographer and get some awesome one year photos done. Maybe a petting zoo type thing with rabbits, kittens, baby goats, etc.? (Ok, so I do see the ad for Hop over there. -->)

Kriket 04-01-2011 06:37 PM

I also would save big parties for when he's older ;)

The 1st b-day is for mommie, and to stuff cake in his face. Just make a nice, (low sugar for everyone's safety) cake and have a nice time!

titania 04-01-2011 07:15 PM

I live in a different reality, lol. We have dinner and cake at my mom's with family. I really can't imagine doing a party like you're talking about. But if that's what you want- go for it. When my bots were 1 we had a very small window of time to celebrate between their naps. :giggle:

Happy birthday!

savvytrav 04-01-2011 07:47 PM

Yes, good points...though Orion actually would enjoy some kind of animal thing, he is all about the living, breathing animals.
The other thing is that he is the first grandchild/nephew in the family and so everyone is all about extravagance with him (everyone else, not me! I definitely haven't the finances for it!). My mom suggested and offered to pay for something like what I mentioned, and it is pretty obvious that she really wants to do something 'big' and I don't know if she can be convinced out of it at this point. So we'll see :D

Thanks!

savvytrav 04-01-2011 07:50 PM

hmm, Maybe I can get my parents to pay for professional pictures instead, that's a good idea.

titania 04-01-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savvytrav
hmm, Maybe I can get my parents to pay for professional pictures instead, that's a good idea.

That's a great idea. I wish we had done that.