Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Constipation in an 8-month old baby (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188145)

coffeegirl 04-02-2011 06:35 PM

Constipation in an 8-month old baby

So our little girl is constipated for the first time in her life. She didn't poop at all yesterday (which is unusual for her) and today she pooped twice and it was two very hard, solid barrel-shaped stools. This is a first-- she's always had pretty normal-for-her-age soft/loose stools up until now. Also, accompanying this, she's been more fussy than normal today and seemed to be struggling when she did have to poop.

I looked online for some info. Not sure what caused this....we haven't started her on solids yet, so its not that. We haven't switched up her formula, so it's not that either. It COULD be that she needs some more hydration? I read on babycenter that a small amount of diluted prune juice, given twice a day, can help.

Just wondering what other kind of "home" remedies some of the more seasoned mamas have here for this problem.

jbaxter 04-02-2011 07:05 PM

Re: Constipation in an 8-month old baby

I would do 50% pear juice first. Pear is gentler than prune.

pcjs 04-02-2011 07:49 PM

It can easily be the formula. We would give my son 3 oz a day of Gentle Start (they come in the RTF glass containers) and that made him poop. Normally he did better on Similac. At that age, we started to mix pureed prunes in his cereal and then at some point straight pureed prunes (we were reluctant to do it as YUCK its prunes but he loved them). Just don't do too much or you get a poop explosion. We are a no juice family.

jenbabekitty 04-02-2011 09:04 PM

With Shawn we done prunes. He loved them! He was a spitty baby and was on cereal starting at 2 weeks so he was always constipated. I would add a spoon full of prunes to his bottle. Thats all that would help him.

Sent from my iPhone so watch for weird posts! ;)

Angel89411 04-02-2011 10:51 PM

A little Karo Syrup in water. That or the pea juice. I don't remember the proportions for the syrup, but you can Google it or ask the pedi.

dublinmom 04-02-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbaxter (Post 12645805)
I would do 50% pear juice first. Pear is gentler than prune.

Pear juice was our pedi's recommendation too...worked well for my DD

jengojengo 04-03-2011 12:08 AM

We did prune and pear juice and that really helped.

coffeegirl 04-04-2011 07:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'd never heard of pear juice and couldn't find any at Dillons, but I did get some prune juice. We tried about 1 to 2 tablespoons diluted with 2 tbsp. of water, in a bottle. She refused to take it, she's only used to milk so it seemed weird to her I guess.

Sooo....I made up a little bit of formula and added the juice/water mixture to the formula. I know, yuck, BUT she drank that right up and within a couple hours it worked. Cleaned her little system right out, and she seemed so much happier afterwards. :) It wasn't harsh at all. I so love seeing my little girl happy after she's been feeling bad!

That was one scary diaper I had to change though, let me tell ya... :blush: :eek: :dramatic:

jbaxter 04-04-2011 12:40 PM

you could also try some fresh pears steamed and mashed they are generally sweet. I always started with pears for my boys it didnt constipate them. I buy R W Knudsen organic pear juice. Comes in 32oz bottles or 3 pack boxes.

Laura Lou 05-21-2012 08:01 AM

thanks, everybody for the suggestions! the karo syrup surprises me, though. ? my boy's been eating prunes, but maybe the juice would help more. he likes pears, i'll try being consistent and also get some pear juice. hope it helps!

btw, umm... prunes taste good, you guys. they're sweet plums! maybe you didn't buy sunsweet brand prunes w/out pits. they're best, as far as i know. they're soft and delicious.