Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2nd wash cycle as 2 rinses? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188244)

TrishaChristine 04-02-2011 10:07 PM

2nd wash cycle as 2 rinses?

Is there any reason that running a second wash cycle without soap can't work as 2 rinses? My washing machine only rinses in cold, so if I run a wash I can get one hot "rinse" and a cold one as well. Thoughts:2cents:?

Katie Finn 04-02-2011 10:22 PM

Re: 2nd wash cycle as 2 rinses?

I do that all the time. I do 1 heavy duty cycle and then do another short cycle after as the "rinse." It's the only routine that gets microfiber clean in my HE toploader.

onegratefulmama 04-03-2011 07:13 AM

I have an old top loader that won't do anything but a cold rinse and in the laundry thread by alioop it stressed hot water for everything pre rinse wash extra rinse so I have been running 3 full wash cycles each time first as prerinse (I add 2 capfuls of bac out) second with detergent (I add a tea kettle of hot water at this stage) and then the extra (double) post rinse (nothing added) so short answer is yeah totally great way to look at it - this simplifies it for me no turning dials or catching it at anytime just full cycles

bohemianxchaos 04-03-2011 07:22 AM

Mine is an old toploader, too. I do a cold/cold wash with detergent; a hot/cold wash with detergent; and 2 cold/cold wahses with nothing, just to make sure I'm rinsed. :)

Kendalls.Mommy 04-03-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onegratefulmama (Post 12648028)
I have an old top loader that won't do anything but a cold rinse and in the laundry thread by alioop it stressed hot water for everything pre rinse wash extra rinse so I have been running 3 full wash cycles each time first as prerinse (I add 2 capfuls of bac out) second with detergent (I add a tea kettle of hot water at this stage) and then the extra (double) post rinse (nothing added) so short answer is yeah totally great way to look at it - this simplifies it for me no turning dials or catching it at anytime just full cycles

Interesting, I've always heard cold rinse to avoid stains. I can see why a hot rinse would be better for cleaning purposes I guess. I have always just done a pre rinse, wash, post rinse.

To answer the OP, yes, a second wash cycle should work just fine.

regenolds 04-03-2011 10:36 AM

That's what I do. I always try to catch it before it does the cold rinse so I can turn it back to do another hot or warm wash-no detergent. I miss it about half the time so then I'm just wasting water! But I do have very clean diapers with no stains;)

Mummy2Summer&Ashton 04-03-2011 10:44 AM

I do that too.

I do a pre rinse then a heavy duty hot wash and 'catch it' before it starts the rinses and put it on a hot wash again (so I get one hot and one cold rinse)

poppan 04-03-2011 11:11 AM

Yup I do that too.

AZmommy 04-03-2011 12:57 PM

its pretty much what I do. I run a full cycle (including an auto second rinse) which of course rinses cold.. Then I do an extra short wash nothing added ussually on warm to make sure everything is out.

full routine
prewash with eaither nothing or some vinager
long hot heavy duty cycle with detergent extra rinse selected
short wash warm nothing
dry..
I've tried say not doing the extra rinse in the wash cycle but we get residue so I allow the full rinses.
Deanna

mommy~to~z&m 04-03-2011 01:00 PM

That's what I do most of the time.