Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   pitting edema with no other symptoms (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188387)

MamaWillow 04-03-2011 11:24 AM

pitting edema with no other symptoms

My ankles started getting puffy a few weeks ago, and I know this is normal. But now they get super puffy by the end of the day and if I press on them it leaves an indentation. I guess it was almost 3 weeks ago that it was pretty mild, and i asked my doc about it and she said not to worry if the aren't any other symptoms (high BP, headaches, etc). My BP has been perfect, around 115/65. The pitting though is getting worse and it's making me nervous. My hands are a little tight feeling but they don't look like sausages or anything. I woke up this morning and my ankles are still a little puffy from last night. Should i ask fo a blood test or something? Would it be liver function that i need to check? I just worry that this is a precursor to pre-e which i had during my first PG. I want to stay on top of it and i can't just ignore the pitting.

Sent from my Xoom using DS Forum

cinderella08 04-03-2011 12:32 PM

Re: pitting edema with no other symptoms

I'd call your MW/OB and just let them know. I've had toxemia once and preeclampsia with my second.

With the toxemia - I went from stable to having a failing liver and kidneys within 6 hours. Mild swelling and slightly elevated pressure - I mean SLIGHT - it was like 140/75. 6 hours later I was admitted to L&D showing +4 for protein in my urine, BP 250/165, visual disturbances, and severe swelling. I was induced the next day.

I highly doubt something is wrong with just minor swelling (prego's swell!) but i'm overly cautious because of my past

MamaSarahMay 04-03-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaWillow
My ankles started getting puffy a few weeks ago, and I know this is normal. But now they get super puffy by the end of the day and if I press on them it leaves an indentation. I guess it was almost 3 weeks ago that it was pretty mild, and i asked my doc about it and she said not to worry if the aren't any other symptoms (high BP, headaches, etc). My BP has been perfect, around 115/65. The pitting though is getting worse and it's making me nervous. My hands are a little tight feeling but they don't look like sausages or anything. I woke up this morning and my ankles are still a little puffy from last night. Should i ask fo a blood test or something? Would it be liver function that i need to check? I just worry that this is a precursor to pre-e which i had during my first PG. I want to stay on top of it and i can't just ignore the pitting.

Sent from my Xoom using DS Forum

I'd definitely push it more with your doctor. I do have the puffy ankles and my hands feel tight, but i don't have the pitting. I did have it though with ny first and was put on bed rest bc of my BP. I had to have a few NSTs and do the 24 hr urine collection (yuck!) to watch for pre-e. Luckily it didn't turn into that but i was on bed rest and watched closely bc of the high BP and the pitting with the swelling. Since you have a history of pre-e I think you are being good with watching for symptoms early. I'd definitely request they do something but I'm not sure what exactly they would check. Keep us posted!

Kriket 04-03-2011 02:30 PM

I had this too. At 37 weeks they made me take a long weekend off work and take it easy. My BP was starting to creep, and the pitting was really quite bad. (I think I have a pic of my foot, it's disgusting)
Anywho, my water broke the next day :giggle: so much for my relaxing weekend!

Sonic7273 04-03-2011 02:45 PM

I had this with my first, usually after drinking not enough water and doing too much. No other symptoms, just the pitting and my legs would just feel turgid. Yuck! Usually keeping them elevated, taking it easy and drinking water did the trick.

DocsNemesis 04-03-2011 07:43 PM

I've had pre-e 3 times (well twice, and once HELLP) and all 3 times swelling were my warning sign. Granted some women just simply swell, but I never ever swelled with my other 3 and with the 3 I got sick with, it was BAD, pitting edema. I'd ask to have them keep an extra eye on you, as a pp said, it can get bad suddenly and without warning.

Can you have them do a 24 hour protein? That can catch the beginnings of pre-e before its detectable on a urine stick, as that test only checks for one type of protein, while the 24 hour protein checks for others. With my last one, we did that at 35ish weeks (since I'd had HELLP with my previous one, they were watching me closely) and I failed the test by 2 points. My urine stick tests never came back bad, until the day before I had her (and I was at +1 so not terrible) and we redid the 24 hour protein twice, I don't think it ever got worse-BUT I was put on strict bed rest because it really seemed to help me, personally. When I finally got that +1 on the stick, I had been allowed to do moderate activity again, since I was full term at that point. I think just that little bit of activity (ie, cleaning the dishes and stuff, lol) pushed me over. Also, my bp stayed pretty normal throughout. With my first pre-e baby, it was only bad after walking a mile from the bus stop, and even then, it was boarderline.

It sucks but I'd definitely ask for a protein check and make sure everything is staying ok. With my HELLP baby, I had had no protein, perfect BP, just the swelling-and then next thing I knew, I was having major upper gastric pain, was told I had +4 protein, insanely high BP, my liver and kidneys were failing, and my platelets were dropping. Basically I went in at 4am thinking I had gas and had a baby by 10am because I was crashing soooo fast. Its rare, but its serious, take care of yourself mama!

MamaWillow 04-03-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocsNemesis
I've had pre-e 3 times (well twice, and once HELLP) and all 3 times swelling were my warning sign. Granted some women just simply swell, but I never ever swelled with my other 3 and with the 3 I got sick with, it was BAD, pitting edema. I'd ask to have them keep an extra eye on you, as a pp said, it can get bad suddenly and without warning.

Can you have them do a 24 hour protein? That can catch the beginnings of pre-e before its detectable on a urine stick, as that test only checks for one type of protein, while the 24 hour protein checks for others. With my last one, we did that at 35ish weeks (since I'd had HELLP with my previous one, they were watching me closely) and I failed the test by 2 points. My urine stick tests never came back bad, until the day before I had her (and I was at +1 so not terrible) and we redid the 24 hour protein twice, I don't think it ever got worse-BUT I was put on strict bed rest because it really seemed to help me, personally. When I finally got that +1 on the stick, I had been allowed to do moderate activity again, since I was full term at that point. I think just that little bit of activity (ie, cleaning the dishes and stuff, lol) pushed me over. Also, my bp stayed pretty normal throughout. With my first pre-e baby, it was only bad after walking a mile from the bus stop, and even then, it was boarderline.

It sucks but I'd definitely ask for a protein check and make sure everything is staying ok. With my HELLP baby, I had had no protein, perfect BP, just the swelling-and then next thing I knew, I was having major upper gastric pain, was told I had +4 protein, insanely high BP, my liver and kidneys were failing, and my platelets were dropping. Basically I went in at 4am thinking I had gas and had a baby by 10am because I was crashing soooo fast. Its rare, but its serious, take care of yourself mama!

Wow that is crazy! I know my Dr checks for protein every visit, but maybe I will suggest a 24 hour protein too. She seems so laid back and it sometimes makes me wonder...

My BP today (I had mil take it) was 107/65 so that makes me feel better, and after some exercise the swelling in my ankles got a little better. I may still call the Dr tomorrow though. I do have an appointment on thursday but it seems too far away.

Please excuse the typos...Sent from my Xoom using DS Forum